Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 AM

88 posts, read 153,332 times

Advertisements

I've been down South since before the holidays and we're returning home next weekend. I've been watching the weather forecast and it looks like I'll be returning to frozen water lines. I have PEX lines and a couple run in the crawlspace under the house. I had a buddy go turn the heater on to 65, but in case, what do you guys suggest as the easiest way to thaw PEX? Do they rent some type of heater/blowers or am I going to have to spend time under there with a hairdryer?
Thanks for any help,
Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 12:35 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,809,572 times
Steve,

Are these in long runs along spans, or concentrated in a fairly small area? If they're in a small enough area, a propane heater could make sense to me since you have outside air already venting in that space so it would be safe, and you could channel the air to rise into the space around the pipes. If it's along a very long run, you could use cardboard to close in the bottom of the joist run and then blow in hot air down one end to create a really warm zone in there.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:24 PM

294 posts, read 541,189 times
You should never let water lines freeze. If you have exposed water lines in a crawl space, it was installed wrong. Even if the lines are up inside the insulation it will be a problem if you have turned the heat off. Your choices are 1) leave the heat on. 2) winterize the house by draining all the water out of the lines. Even with pex, frozen lines can burst. It usually happens at the fittings or the hose bib. There should be someone monitoring the house with the heat now turned on. If there is a burst pipe it will cause a flood as it thaws. If no one is there to turn the water off it will end bad for you.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Default thanks for the replies

I did turn water off before leaving and heater is on but these lines are under the floor insulation and are pretty long runs.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM

You may want to have it re-installed just below the subfoor. You have a pipe installation that could freeze no matter what the temperature is inside the house. Can you get to the insulation, pull it down and push the pipe up. Then you can put the insulation back in and the heat of the house will keep the pipes from having problems.

Old 01-07-2013, 05:23 PM

274 posts, read 470,277 times
My girlfriend just bought me a thermostatically controlled outlet that comes on about 35 degrees and goes off about 45 degrees. A good thing to have for the well house with an electric heater or even a 150 watt incandescent light bulb. Just a thought. :-)

Old 01-07-2013, 08:39 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,809,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevpu1967 View Post
My girlfriend just bought me a thermostatically controlled outlet that comes on about 35 degrees and goes off about 45 degrees. A good thing to have for the well house with an electric heater or even a 150 watt incandescent light bulb. Just a thought. :-)
Well, if he can access those lines, it would be good to wrap them with a heat coil on a thermostat switch, yeah...that would help in the future in a case like this...

Old 01-08-2013, 03:27 AM

29,183 posts, read 22,210,687 times
Heat tape does wonders for winter pipe problems, but the easiest thing is to crack one faucet open and let it run a thin stream when the weather is below zero.

But with Cujo's house warmed to 65º, I don't think he'll have a bad surprised waiting when he gets home. The crawl space is around 30º above freezing at that temp setting. Considering that only 1 or 2 degrees of warmth is needed to prevent a freeze-up, that's a wide safety margin.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:26 AM

I know you all mean well with the advice. But maybe it should be fixed properly. BTW heat tape can melt pex.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Default Thanks banjomike

Hope you're right.
Here's what I've got
Attached Thumbnails
Question about frozen water line-untitled.bmp  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: