Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 02:33 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,430,395 times

Advertisements

How are American Indians accepted in Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 03:28 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post

There are a lot where I live. I am near a reservation. Seems to be okay from what I've seen.

I hope they would be well accepted. They were here first!

Old 03-15-2013, 11:27 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Quote:
Seeker5in1,

Fine from what I've seen. Would you be living on a reservation or have other housing arrangements?

I'm not sure how many reservations are in Idaho. Southeastern ID has Fort Hall and maybe others here throughout the state can post about the reservations in their areas.

Just to clarify, in no way am I saying American Indians need to live on a reservation.

I think like all others inquiring about ID, if you have secured employment, plan on being a good neighbor, not judging others and contributing to your community, I suspect you'll find many residents throughout the state who will extend the same courtesies to you.

MSR

Old 03-16-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Seeker5in1,

Fine from what I've seen. Would you be living on a reservation or have other housing arrangements?

I'm not sure how many reservations are in Idaho. Southeastern ID has Fort Hall and maybe others here throughout the state can post about the reservations in their areas.

Just to clarify, in no way am I saying American Indians need to live on a reservation.

I think like all others inquiring about ID, if you have secured employment, plan on being a good neighbor, not judging others and contributing to your community, I suspect you'll find many residents throughout the state who will extend the same courtesies to you.

MSR
I am white, and my wife is Asian and she is often mistaken for a Native American. While we were looking at Youtube Idaho promo videos she saw almost only white people and wondered if she might have trouble making friends because of racial differences.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
I am white, and my wife is Asian and she is often mistaken for a Native American. While we were looking at Youtube Idaho promo videos she saw almost only white people and wondered if she might have trouble making friends because of racial differences.
Seeker5in1,

That has got to be frustrating for your wife.

I'm a little confused here and hope you can clarify. Given that your wife is Asian do you want to know about Asian populations in ID, or are you simply asking if a person who isn't white is accepted? Or did I totally miss the boat, which I might have...

Also, are you in the U.S. now or would this be a move from a different country to Idaho. Asians are accepted and treated well (as far as I know) in southeastern ID. I've not heard of problems elsewhere in the state.

A person who use to post here (and possibly some of her questions could be found using the search feature) was concerned about her biracial marriage and whether or not she would make any friends.
I don't want to be too specific, as this CD former member deserves her privacy should she return. In vague terms I'll say she was very close to delivering her first child. She told me about an experience she had in a shopping area that is frequented by teenagers.

When she told me a few more of the details and was asking me to translate, I told her my very honest thoughts were: 1. Should they offer to carry her boxes or whatever she was carrying for her, and 2. Given this experience happened very close to her delivery date, I said it was very possible the young men were wondering if they would delivering that baby prior to her loading her car with her purchases. Given her very petite Asian size and very pregnant tummy, which she was use to seeing for almost 9 months, its unusual for male teenagers to not offer to help a pregnant female in Idaho Falls. I think her license plates from her former state were still on her car which may have been the reason they hesitated to help her. I'm not sure they knew how THEY WOULD be received.

Fortunately for everyone, she excelled at the rapid tutoring we gave her here and delivered a healthy baby boy less than a week later

My points in posting this example are two: 1. I think many are worried about reactions they may get, which is understandable, but not understanding that to the teenage boys I mentioned above the fact she didn't ask them to help her with the boxes etc. was a reaction to them. I think it's a two way street.

2. Cleosmom, Tori and couple of others here did everything we could to help her get connected with what she needed for her new house and new baby.

I'd strongly recommend if at all possible, don't move when you're more than 8 1/2+ months pregnant.

MSR

Old 03-17-2013, 12:38 AM

78,338 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzbar View Post
I think you're being a bit shrill. Idaho has a reputation for racism, thanks to some idiots in the north part of the state. The question is reasonable, and as someone who lives in Idaho, I welcome the opportunity to trash the myth of Idaho racism. It's probably the least racist place I've ever lived.

As to the "white woman... yadda... ". Everybody knows the answer to that one.
Um, I'm not one to let racist material slide no matter what the offenders color.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Seeker5in1,

That has got to be frustrating for your wife.

I'm a little confused here and hope you can clarify. Given that your wife is Asian do you want to know about Asian populations in ID, or are you simply asking if a person who isn't white is accepted? Or did I totally miss the boat, which I might have...
I should have been more direct. It's that she's concerned that her appearance might make her seem out of place. My reasoning is that if Native Americans are not seen as out of place there, then neither will she be; Native Americans often mistake her for one of their own and ask her what tribe she is from. Thanks for the input.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I should have been more direct. It's that she's concerned that her appearance might make her seem out of place. My reasoning is that if Native Americans are not seen as out of place there, then neither will she be; Native Americans often mistake her for one of their own and ask her what tribe she is from. Thanks for the input.
You're welcome for anything I've written has helped.

I'm not a Native American so I'm not sure how to answer that question. I hope someone else here can help. I'll admit, it's not a question I've seen addressed in any capacity on C-D (users or those reporting about areas).

Given your information above, do you have any reason (s) to believe your wife would or wouldn't be approached differently (or ignored) in any specific states? What I'm trying to say is if she has physical features that Native Americans somehow think that makes her Native American I think that could be a risk in any state. I hope that makes sense to you.

Maybe someone else can add something here that will help.

MSR

Old 03-18-2013, 08:02 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
You won't have any problems at all in S.E. Idaho. I'm an Idaho Falls native, and I've always known some folks of Native and Japanese ancestry. Most of us are the same.

We have many Asian-American families here who have lived here for generations, as well as Native-Americans who lived here before the white men came. The Shoshone-Bannock have been living right here since the glaciers melted.

I doubt very much your wife will be mistaken for a Shoshone. Even if she was, it would make no difference to folks here.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:02 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,174 times
I'm a white Idahoan....and I guess I differ from the small number of folks who frown on or otherwise condemn those of a different color or look or heritage. I'm a somewhat over-weight food lover. When I see someone who is different from me, my love for all food takes complete command of my senses.

I crave Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Thai food. When I see someone who is obviously Oriental, I recall delicious meals prepared by those from these ethnic groups and I smile. No bad thoughts come to mind.

I adore Soul (capitalization on purpose) food. When I see a black person (African-American), I remember savoring the tastes of this flavorful cuisine, I smile and no bad thoughts come to mind.

I love the cooking styles and the resulting morsels of food prepared by American Indians. If you have enjoyed salmon spread open, mounted on a wooden plank and cooked facing a campfire, you know what I am talking about. And the American Indian breads - the Navajo fried bread or the Bannock (muqpauraq) bread - are quite tasteful traditions to those Indian cultures. Smile. Never a bad thought.

European foods? Yeah, I pretty nuch love them all. Italian, German, Swedish, French, Spanish, etc. are all dear to my palate. So are, I might add, some of the dishes from the Middle East (not all, but some)!

I was raised by my Grandparents, a conservative, frugal pair from the Scandinavian ethno-cultural. My Grandmother was a great cook, if you felt it necessary to dine on meat and potatoes every day. She prepared no Scandinavian food to speak of and not much of the other foods I have discussed. Of the other food types I mentioned, I only recall that her Chinese Chop Suey was filling, but overcooked by several hours.

Everone is not like me....we are all different. That's a good thing. If you are from some ethnic background that differs from mine - and you catch me looking at you - I'm only remembering the wonderful cuisine that your culture can prepare for a hungry guy like me. I'll probably smile.

Never a bad thought....and that's the way it should be.

pimit2 (Bob)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho