Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 11:03 AM

33 posts, read 199,950 times

Advertisements

Our main purpose of moving to Idaho if for their homeschooling program. Or lack thereof. With teachers raping and molesting students, beating them, abusing them, strip-searching, drugs, bullying, metal detectors, cameras, locker room cameras, tasering, etc. we have decided without a doubt to home-school.

In NY, there is a homeschooling program. However, it must be through a school, with the school's curriculum, with a government representative doing weekly home visits, all state testing and exams. Furthermore, the parent must have a teaching degree and be certified in NYS to be a teacher!

Our entire interest in Idaho started with it's homeschooling program. Just curious if it is as easy and government non-intrusive as they say it is. Anyone have experience with homeschooling in Idaho? Or at least hear anything about it? Thanks a bunch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 01:06 PM

35 posts, read 120,571 times
We don't homeschool, however many of our friends at church do. They have never mentioned problems with the state about it.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:09 PM

349 posts, read 1,040,108 times
I have never done Idaho home schooling but many of my friends have, it is very common in Idaho to home school, some links:

Idaho State Department of Education - Home School

INSPIRE, the Idaho Connections Academy - Receive a FREE Program Guide

Idaho Homeschooling Information

Idaho Home School: Idaho Law

Old 03-28-2013, 01:48 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
I homeschooled my daughter and there is nothing to it in Idaho. You may have to notify the district of your intentions but that is it.

Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGreen View Post
Our main purpose of moving to Idaho if for their homeschooling program. Or lack thereof. With teachers raping and molesting students, beating them, abusing them, strip-searching, drugs, bullying, metal detectors, cameras, locker room cameras, tasering, etc. we have decided without a doubt to home-school.

In NY, there is a homeschooling program. However, it must be through a school, with the school's curriculum, with a government representative doing weekly home visits, all state testing and exams. Furthermore, the parent must have a teaching degree and be certified in NYS to be a teacher!

Our entire interest in Idaho started with it's homeschooling program. Just curious if it is as easy and government non-intrusive as they say it is. Anyone have experience with homeschooling in Idaho? Or at least hear anything about it? Thanks a bunch!
We are currently homeschooling. Idaho is the most homeschooling friendly state we've ever seen. In fact, in Bonner County, our kids can even take any and every part time class at the high school they want, including any/all sports and extra-curricular activities.

Our kids play sports for the local high school, are involved with some HS extra-curricular activities, and also have done classes at both SHS and at NIC as dual-enrollment students. We also keep very careful transcripts for the NCAA Clearinghouse and for their college admissions, of course, and we've also had them take the PSAT, SAT, and Compass tests early since those are additional useful metrics for us during the HS years and high Compass test scores equals 6 units of college English credits.

Coming from a state like CA or NY, Idaho is homeschooling paradise. Seriously.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I homeschooled my daughter and there is nothing to it in Idaho. You may have to notify the district of your intentions but that is it.
Wonderful to hear! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadbad2004 View Post
I have never done Idaho home schooling but many of my friends have, it is very common in Idaho to home school, some links:

Idaho State Department of Education - Home School

INSPIRE, the Idaho Connections Academy - Receive a FREE Program Guide

Idaho Homeschooling Information

Idaho Home School: Idaho Law
Great links. Thanks a bunch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
We are currently homeschooling. Idaho is the most homeschooling friendly state we've ever seen. In fact, in Bonner County, our kids can even take any and every part time class at the high school they want, including any/all sports and extra-curricular activities.

Our kids play sports for the local high school, are involved with some HS extra-curricular activities, and also have done classes at both SHS and at NIC as dual-enrollment students. We also keep very careful transcripts for the NCAA Clearinghouse and for their college admissions, of course, and we've also had them take the PSAT, SAT, and Compass tests early since those are additional useful metrics for us during the HS years and high Compass test scores equals 6 units of college English credits.

Coming from a state like CA or NY, Idaho is homeschooling paradise. Seriously.
All fantastic to hear. Thanks everyone. Along with all the horror stories about public school, the truancy officers here have a right to break down house doors to retrieve kids for celebrating their birthdays on a school day! Crazy stuff!

There are a few homeschooling States in the South, but we had no interest in the south. California is moderately home-school friendly. But then you have to live in California. lol

I've read a lot about home schooling in Idaho, of course. Especially here. But it's good just to get some word-of-mouth assurance. Thanks again!

Old 03-28-2013, 08:01 PM

414 posts, read 1,094,657 times
Homeschooling has strong support from Idahoans and our politicians. Periodically there'll be some noise about tying home school curriculum down, but it never goes anywhere. Homeschoolers are generally given a lot of access to sports and public school courses--it makes sense, everyone has to pay into the public school system, even if they don't have kids there.

There are also homeschool groups scattered throughout the state where homeschooling parents can meet and talk about the issues they face, compare notes on opportunities for the kids, etc.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post

Coming from a state like CA or NY, Idaho is (snip) paradise. Seriously.
Fixed. I can't speak for CA, but compared to NY State, Idaho is paradise in nearly every metric! I did say NEARLY every one...if only I could only find a good order of wings!

Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGreen View Post
California is moderately home-school friendly. But then you have to live in California. lol
We moved here from California. It's NOT AT ALL homeschool friendly. Seriously. And homeschoolers are most definitely second class citizens there. It was one of the factors in our decision to move here.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Fixed. I can't speak for CA, but compared to NY State, Idaho is paradise in nearly every metric! I did say NEARLY every one...if only I could only find a good order of wings!
Ah! You know? We do have good food here. At least Idaho seems to have some Mexican restaurants. I missed that from Cali. Delicious, cheap, dirty little joints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: