Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 06:46 PM

154 posts, read 309,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden_is View Post
Oh, then you'll fit in just fine.

We're pretty much in line with what you posted about your views, and my impression from my visit to Idaho was they hold similar values.

We visited Bonner's Ferry, Sandpoint, Clark Fork, and Coeur d'Alene. Each one was unique. Our favorite was Bonner's.
Thanks for the info! Have you guys settle on an area or were you just visiting to check it out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 07:02 PM

332 posts, read 483,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeNY View Post
Thanks for the info! Have you guys settle on an area or were you just visiting to check it out?
We were just there for recon, but we've already decided we love the area. Bonner's has a Classical Conversations homeschooling group that meets every week, which is the same curriculum we use.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,482 times
Default Reviving this old thread...

Hi folks. I'm looking for a small (twenty or so acres) piece of farmable land, probably in Idaho County, but I'm open to other areas around halfway between Boise and Coeur d'Alene, around or below 3,000', with little building regulation. A small community within a two or three hour drive of some place where general supplies could be picked up. Perhaps zoned for agriculture.

If had to pigeon-hole myself into some political category (which one often might do, for the sake of ease), I'd say I'm very much libertarian, and would like to find a like-minded, close-knit community. Joel Salatin comes to mind, for anyone who knows who he is.

I'm planning a road trip in the coming weeks, and am wondering if anyone can suggest places I might visit.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 PM

I forgot this one criterion: it should be a family oriented community as well, with kids for mine to hang out with. I realize this is all pretty specific. Just thought I'd work it out from here.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:15 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymathpangram View Post
Hi folks. I'm looking for a small (twenty or so acres) piece of farmable land, probably in Idaho County, but I'm open to other areas around halfway between Boise and Coeur d'Alene, around or below 3,000', with little building regulation. A small community within a two or three hour drive of some place where general supplies could be picked up. Perhaps zoned for agriculture.

If had to pigeon-hole myself into some political category (which one often might do, for the sake of ease), I'd say I'm very much libertarian, and would like to find a like-minded, close-knit community. Joel Salatin comes to mind, for anyone who knows who he is.

I'm planning a road trip in the coming weeks, and am wondering if anyone can suggest places I might visit.
Good luck on finding below 3,000 in that stretch. It's there, but most of it is vertical.
I think you need to spend a lot more time reading through previous and current threads on the forum here before you hit the road.

In brief, Idaho county will barely fill some of your requirements, and others, not at all. Except for 'family oriented community'. That one defines just about every town in the state that's bigger than an oil spot in the middle of the road. Those places are the most family oriented of all because that's all there is in them… a few families.

Libertarians abound here. All you have to do is pick your Libertarian flavor. We've got the entire rack.

Past that, take everything you read on this forum for exactly what it is; a lot of different impressions from residents, visitors, and folks who know nothing at all about Old Mother Idaho. This place has little comparison to be found in the other 47, and even Alaska, though close, is not that close.

Last edited by banjomike; 10-19-2015 at 01:23 AM..

Old 10-19-2015, 01:33 PM

Thanks, BanjoMike. Good info. I'll do much more reading, for sure.

I took note of the ruggedness of Idaho county (not unlike most of the state). I saw some pieces of land available there that, as you pointed out, only meet some of my needs, one being the relatively little red-tape to deal with in terms of building. I own property in area that's always breathing down your neck, so that came immediately to mind.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:33 PM

742 posts, read 1,129,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polymathpangram View Post
Thanks, BanjoMike. Good info. I'll do much more reading, for sure.

I took note of the ruggedness of Idaho county (not unlike most of the state). I saw some pieces of land available there that, as you pointed out, only meet some of my needs, one being the relatively little red-tape to deal with in terms of building. I own property in area that's always breathing down your neck, so that came immediately to mind.
As a general rule of thumb, the more people you have living in a county (or closer to a city you are), the more restrictions will come with land and property. It's often the same if you live close to a river/watershed/wetlands, wild game migration areas, and some public land.

Banjo mentioned Idaho County and it is notorious for being virtually hands off when it comes to building codes. But... you're also many hours from any town of consequence when it comes to shopping, medical care, entertainment, et al. It is the reason the population is as low as it is. For as many dwellings as you'll find in the area, the population is probably 1/50th of them (most are second homes).

Old 10-20-2015, 02:26 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleeNY View Post
Hi My family and I are thinking about moving to ID and we're looking at different areas. We consider ourselves libertarian and have heard there are a lot of libertarians in the state. Would you say that libertarians are spread out all over the state or are there areas that are more libertarian than others?
I think many people in NID have libertarian hearts. Many believe in hard work, modest spending, modest living, maxing out self-reliance, small, local, and simple government. However, we are very much tried to government: many depend on social security checks; half the kids in the LPO School district are on free or reduced lunch; half of the ten largest employers in Bonner County are government or quasi-government.

S.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:55 PM

447 posts, read 651,903 times
I consider myself to be somewhat libertarian. That said I have noticed and its always bugged me to see folks being anti government while they depend so much on programs or employment tied up in said government... see it here in my conservative pocket of california. Just don't get it.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:25 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
I consider myself to be somewhat libertarian. That said I have noticed and its always bugged me to see folks being anti government while they depend so much on programs or employment tied up in said government... see it here in my conservative pocket of california. Just don't get it.
It's the same everywhere. I think the nature of this state, and it's light population, make us all self-reliant Libertarians in some degree or other.

And to be fair, there are relatively few states left that are sparsely populated with lots of large emptiness. I think most folks are so used to the press of humanity, all around them all their lives, that even those who want to lead lives of personal independence just don't know how to begin doing so. And even if they try to learn from books or other sources, there is too much urbanity surrounding them to really ever know what it's all about in the goods and the bads.
They can imagine the first, but can't realize the second. Out here, we all come to take both for granted, and they come in all sorts of ways. Our common attitudes don't come easily to newbies, that's for sure. So do much better than others, though, and the best avoid falling into extremes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho