Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS454ElCamino View Post
Have already encountered Moose, 3 of them, a big one, and 2 smaller ones. Once in the middle of our street the big one was clearly annoyed with the cars going by, and started to actually charge at them, when one of the neighbors stopped because it was in the way, the thing just stood there with it's head down like it was going to ram the front of the car, and finally walked into the woods. The second time they were in our back yard (our property is not completely fenced yet) and then went into the neighbors yard which is completely fenced 3 rail 5' high. The interesting thing is they don't jump the fence, they hop their front legs over, smash the fence a bit, and hop their beck legs over. Deer, and Elk can easily clear a 6' fence, and will run from you when they see you, but do not mess with the Moose, they do not run, and can be aggressive if approached. Makes me very nervous with my little kids playing in our woods. If anybody has a good fence suggestion I am all ears. I was thinking tall chain link with a heavy gage top rail.
We've had moose clear 5 foot fences easily but they will go thru them if they please. We had a bull in rut go right through a big steel ranch gate. Took it right off the hinges and flattened it, presumably to get at the salt block in our pasture. All the horses were terrified (they don't much like moose) and running loose down by the river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 01:49 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Thanks everyone for your great and helpful posts I tried to give you all rep pts. but wasn't allowed to on about 3 of you.

I am very happy the point was made farm animals can do the same thing in the wrong situations - a charging bull or cattle stampede can have the same result, although the Beautiful Snake River near the World-famous Grand Teton, the Tetons and Jackson Hole isn't immediately to the side and hundreds of feet below on the road. There are different risks everywhere.

I sincerely hope that tourists and others will read the great tips and advice given. I learned new info reading the posts. I suspect the principles shared above apply to most every state and Providence.

One of the biggest surprises to me about Birmingham , AL , in an upscale area was the wooded area with deer. They were use to more people and noise walking during the day. Traffic meant nothing to them.

I've also had some very near misses/close calls with deer. As others have written being aware of where you are, the time of day and patterns of when deed head to where they get their water all help.

I was the lookout person for a very experienced driver with strict rules between Strawberry Lake and Roosevelt, UT. No radio, no talking about anything not related to the woods and the hundreds of deer in one area on the the road which leads to Vernal, The Deuchion Reservation and the Unitah Mtns. That may sound a little excessive to some.

I will never forget the night we were driving slowly and came over the top of a small incline. There were easily 300 bambies to my right. As mentioned above, I saw the shiny eyes of maybe 20 babies at first and yelled, "Deer, myside!" Wow seeing what some later estimated to be 500 moms and babies was a site I'll never forget!

My suggestion to someone not familiar with an area is ask locals if there are areas to be aware of wildlife where you are going regardless of the state or month.

Stay safe and thanks again for your posts! I hope we get more,

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-13-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-14-2013, 08:10 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,271,525 times
One more thing to add, you don't always find the wildlife on the Interstates and highways. I came in on the Interstate one night from Pocatello, exited Sunnyside Road, the deer was standing near a ditch on Sunnyside right close to the vet clinic.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
One more thing to add, you don't always find the wildlife on the Interstates and highways. I came in on the Interstate one night from Pocatello, exited Sunnyside Road, the deer was standing near a ditch on Sunnyside right close to the vet clinic.

Do you think that deer was a patient?

With more ranchers raising buffalo as a consumer meat, it is becoming more common to see what use to be strictly wildlife now on ranches.

MSR

Old 07-14-2013, 10:21 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
You can find animals at any time on any type of road. Whether it is a dog, or a cow, or a moose, you must always drive alert and watching out for something you don't expect crossing the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho