Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is there prejudice in Idaho?
100% 1 5.56%
80% 5 27.78%
50% 3 16.67%
25% 3 16.67%
10% 5 27.78%
none 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 PM

17 posts, read 104,081 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family and I are planning to settle in Boise or one of the nearby cities (Meridian, Eagle, Nampa, Caldwell). We have heard so many great things about the schools, opportunities for business, affordability, and just better quality of living.

My parents are originally from Afghanistan and we left in the early 80's when the Russians invaded Afghanistan. We have lived in California for over 25 years, and this has been our home. Due to the multicultural nature of California, we have not experienced any type of prejudice or racism in California, but some of my friends have been warning me that Idahoans are still about 30 years behind in their mentality in accepting other ethnicities. From the research I have done about Boise, I have found out that there is a lot of churches and places of worship, and the people are generally very God-fearing. So I am having a very hard time understanding that such God-fearing people in this day and age would still be that way.

I would appreciate any feedback about this topic. Regards

Old 10-13-2006, 12:24 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Zrahin,

I am a little shaken by your term God Fearing. I would hope none of the churches no matter what denomination they are teaches their congregations to fear God. That in itself would be frightening. God is our friend not some one to be afraid of.

As far as the other I do not have an answer for you since I can not speak for others and I know how I feel about it. I do not care what color someone's skin is or their religion or where they are from. What goes around comes around and if someone treats me well I treat them well in a way I would hope to be treated.

Chris

Old 10-13-2006, 02:24 PM

17 posts, read 104,081 times
You are a good man Chris. I don't want to digress from my original posting, and I agree with you that God is very loving...However; he will certainly punish anyone who tries to harm the innocent or have inhumane intentions. So to be righteous, you have to fear his wrath. Otherwise one can just do whatever and believe that God will forgive and forget.

Old 10-13-2006, 02:32 PM

241 posts, read 998,389 times
shades...Are you LDS? The reason why I ask is that the LDS ppl that I know don't "fear" God either and call him father or friend. I grew up in the Church of Christ and yes my parents put the fear of God in me. I was afraid to go to sleep for fear of judgment day and having to go to he**. Most of the other beliefs do try to put the fear of God into everyone so they will do things thier way, so they can make it to heaven. Kind of takes away "Free Agency".

Zrahin...I think that the Boise ares is a good choice for your family. They are more diversified than most of the other cites, but Idaho Falls is close on their heals. Just be yourselves and if ppl can't accept you for you then they aren't worth your effort to befriend.

I was told 15 yrs ago that Idaho is 7 yrs behind everyone else. I think that most of the ppl have caught up with the rest of the country but you will always find the one person who refuses to accept change and they are the ones that you want to stear clear of.

Good luck on your search!

Old 10-13-2006, 03:42 PM

291 posts, read 710,201 times
Zrahin, this isn't an answer to your question, but it may interest you to learn that Idaho is LESS religious than California (has lower church attendance and a higher percentage of residents who declare no religious affiliation).
Reference: Gallup poll 2004, ARIS poll 2001.

Chris, it's a relief to learn that the entire old testament can be completely disregarded!

Old 10-13-2006, 06:24 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,924,649 times
Zrahin I am a Woman.

My3Arabs I was raised Catholic and I suppose they do try to put the fear of God in a person and that is why I excommunicated myself from that religion. Not LDS either.

RodFarlee I guess the truth is out. I do not know squat about religion and the bible. New or Old Testament. I do not study any religion or practice any religion but my own relationship with God is very firm. I do not fear him in any way. I try not to do wrong things requiring forgiveness . I am NOT some holy roller or anything like that I am just human. When I quit the catholic religion and the big lightening bolt did not come down and strike me on the spot I knew I did not need to live my life in fear of God.

Chris

Old 10-13-2006, 06:46 PM

318 posts, read 1,317,044 times
Hi I am LDS. No we don't fear god. But I was raised baptist. Hell fire and brim stone. That kind of service sure keeps you awake I actually have fond memories of it now. Ever see the movie Pollyanna with Haley Mills. That was the type of church I went to as a child. Each church has it's ways.

I live in CA and I think when we move to Idaho. We will either be embraced because we are LDS or shunned because we are from CA. Either way, that is life. You choose your friends according to their nature. Live and let live. Ooops. That is something a CA would say.

I'm glad there is a lot of CA folks in Idaho. I won't feel so homesick. Zrahin the folks I have meet here on this forum seem like nice people, a good mix of Idaho and CA.

Izzy

Old 10-13-2006, 07:04 PM

241 posts, read 998,389 times
Chris...I left my parents belief at 18 and decided that all ppl are great. I dont' fear God either, some times I wonder if he is there but no fear.

Izzy...I really think that you are a very good person! I think that you have a good heart and I wish that there were more LDS ppl up here like you! Maybe when you get here you will rub off on the others and they will be nicer thanks to you.

Zarhin...To get back on track here...I really think that Boise is a very good idea. You will run into ppl that will stare you cuz you look different but just smile and say some thing nice, be normal in other words. My oldest son is part Native American and very dark skined, never burns like me. He is only 14 and stands 6' 3" tall and boy do we get the looks when we go any where. I even heard someone say that I was robbing the cradle. So like I said you will get the one or two ppl that aren't nice but if you can take it then Idaho needs you here.

Old 10-13-2006, 11:03 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,618 times
Idaho is 30 years behind on its thinking? please leave that thinking in ca. i will give basic respect to anyone, you earn the rest from me. i expect the same. whats the percentage of prejudice in calif ?

Old 10-14-2006, 12:17 AM

318 posts, read 1,317,044 times
Thanks My3arabs. I've really enjoyed this website and talking to all of you. Do you know much about IF. Been looking at tonight. The prices seem really great.

Izzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho