Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:40 AM

445 posts, read 1,328,382 times

Advertisements

Internment camps - another name for prison camps - were employed to detain some 120,000 people of Japanese heritage shortly following the attack on Pearl Harbor. It's a shameful part of our country's history.

Researchers from the University of Idaho have found the location of the first internment camp where the U.S. government used people of Japanese ancestry as a workforce during World War II. This small camp was in the mountains near Kooskia. A Japanese workforce? Yes....and they were used extensively doing road work on famed U.S. Highway 12.

For more, read this Associated Press story:

http://news.yahoo.com/researchers-un...camp-170350272

pimit2 (Bob)

Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
If they were anywhere near the Hobo Cedar Grove they had some huge, beautiful trees to enjoy. I read about the tall cedars on the internet and one Saturday my friend and I went looking for it. It didn't look like the trees were going to be that tall, but after walking into the forest I immediately saw that I was wrong. A few of the pumpkin trees were 12' in diameter at the bottom and really tall! I mean, humdereds of feet tall! I looked up and they just kept going and going and going up!

And Kooskia is the little oakie Idaho town that you access the Hobo Cedar Grove from. Once you get to Kooskia, which is about 22 miles southeast of St.Maries, you just go east a block, south about 2 blocks, then take a left. Follow that road about 22 miles into the boony-berries. Signs will take you there. Do it. If you love the tall trees, you'll absolutely love this visit to the Hobo Cedar Grove.

Last edited by elkotronics; 07-27-2013 at 09:49 AM..

Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
If they were anywhere near the Hobo Cedar Grove they had some huge, beautiful trees to enjoy. I read about the tall cedars on the internet and one Saturday my friend and I went looking for it. It didn't look like the trees were going to be that tall, but after walking into the forest I immediately saw that I was wrong. A few of the pumpkin trees were 12' in diameter at the bottom and really tall! I mean, humdereds of feet tall! I looked up and they just kept going and going and going up!

And Kooskia is the little oakie Idaho town that you access the Hobo Cedar Grove from. Once you get to Kooskia, which is about 22 miles southeast of St.Maries, you just go east a block, south about 2 blocks, then take a left. Follow that road about 22 miles into the boony-berries. Signs will take you there. Do it. If you love the tall trees, you'll absolutely love this visit to the Hobo Cedar Grove.

Somehow I'm doubting the interred prisoners were enjoying the cedars.

Thanks for the article, Bob. I didn't know there was a internment camp in Idaho. I'd always thought of them as a California thing. Probably from "Farewell to Manzanar".

Old 07-27-2013, 07:13 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,806 times
Elkotronics: You are mistaken. Kooskia is not very close to the cedar grove. It is closer to the river, near Orofino. You are thinking of Clarkia. There is also a neat fossil and gem dig in Clarkia, too.

Your comments about the beauty of the grove are dead-on, however.

I have been to the internment site. Nothing to see.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 PM

291 posts, read 669,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Somehow I'm doubting the interred prisoners were enjoying the cedars.

Thanks for the article, Bob. I didn't know there was a internment camp in Idaho. I'd always thought of them as a California thing. Probably from "Farewell to Manzanar".
My family and I took the tour through Manzanar last year. Pretty interesting to see how they were housed and treated. As bad a deal as it was for those people, I would rate Manzanar as paradise compared to Heart Mountain Wyoming. As hot as Manzanar in the summer, but twice as cold in the winter.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:52 PM

29,213 posts, read 22,351,209 times
There was an internment camp in the Twin Falls area, but I don't know much about it.

A big storage building that was built as a WPA project in the Depression in Tautphaus park in Idaho Falls was used to intern German POW's, some infantry and some Luftwaffe. The Germans were put to work in the spud and sugar beet fields during the day and slept in the building at night. During the winters they worked in the spud houses or cleared snow from the city streets.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 PM

438 posts, read 660,402 times
I saw a movie recently “The Untold Story: Internment of Japanese Americans in Hawai'i,”

It mentioned that some of the camps can not be found. I find this hard to believe. I think the government knows exactly where they were.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times
Keim - thanks for the correction, the Hobo Cedar Grove is near the tiny town of Clarkia, not Kooskia. So the Japanese were sent nowhere near the Hobo Cedar Grove. I am glad you found that because I don't want to misinform anyone about Idaho. The state is so beautiful and I will always treasure the two years my wife and I lived there!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
Keim - thanks for the correction, the Hobo Cedar Grove is near the tiny town of Clarkia, not Kooskia. So the Japanese were sent nowhere near the Hobo Cedar Grove. I am glad you found that because I don't want to misinform anyone about Idaho. The state is so beautiful and I will always treasure the two years my wife and I lived there!
I agree with you on the Hobo cedar groves, pretty spot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobo_Ce...Botanical_Area The entire ride up Marble Creek is really nice. There is another amazing cedar grove about 10 miles north of Elk River http://www.visitidaho.org/attraction...nt-cedar-tree/.

Now, Kooskia isn't such a bad place either. Located on the Clearwater river...I think that it was a lot nicer than our guys had it on, say, the Bataan death march. Let alone how Chinese citizens had it under Japanese occupation. While not exactly a shining piece of our history...it pales into comparison of things done by the Empire of Japan in that conflict.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:53 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree with you on the Hobo cedar groves, pretty spot. Hobo Cedar Grove Botanical Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia The entire ride up Marble Creek is really nice. There is another amazing cedar grove about 10 miles north of Elk River http://www.visitidaho.org/attraction...nt-cedar-tree/.

Now, Kooskia isn't such a bad place either. Located on the Clearwater river...I think that it was a lot nicer than our guys had it on, say, the Bataan death march. Let alone how Chinese citizens had it under Japanese occupation. While not exactly a shining piece of our history...it pales into comparison of things done by the Empire of Japan in that conflict.

Pretty sure the Japanese-Americans imprisoned here WERE our guys too. As in, Americans. Only they were civilians and not soldiers who were prisoners of war. You can't even make a comparison. It's an apples vs. oranges thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho