Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 01:23 AM

318 posts, read 1,313,886 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Been taking another look at IF. Looks like Boise and IF have several joint offices in my husbands line of work. Prices look great around IF on the MLS. Any thoughts on nice towns to live in within 30 minutes of IF? What are the good neighborhoods in IF itself?

Izzy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2006, 07:20 AM

5,323 posts, read 18,209,694 times
When you talk good neighborhoods what price range are talking? There are mainly two areas I would not suggest; one of which is Bel-Aire and the other are the lettered streets (or any nearbythe lettered streets.)

There are so many new subdivisions going in that I don't even know their names. Comora Loma is on the high end and on the bench east of town, south of that is the country club area, in town there is Cedar Ridge, Falls Valley, Shamrock Park, out east of town there is Cloverdale, Tiebreaker and also several of the new ones I can't recall the names of right now.

Any questions, feel free to PM me Can't remember if you have kids or not and that also will make a factor as to which side of town you want to live on

As for towns within 30 minutes of IF you have: Blackfoot, Shelley to the south and Rigby to the NE, Iona is a "suburb" of IF.

Old 10-14-2006, 09:22 AM

241 posts, read 996,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
As for towns within 30 minutes of IF you have: Blackfoot, Shelley to the south and Rigby to the NE, Iona is a "suburb" of IF.
You don't want Blackfoot, especially with children. Shelley ppl stick to themselves and do not like ppl from CA no matter what. Rigby is real nice with good schools. Iona is growing and some real nice homes and it is more out in the country and is still in the IF school district. Ririe is like Shelley, Ucon is a lil better than Shelley & Ririe but still a closed community.

The west side of IF is growing slowly with some real nice homes and trailer parks. But they are working on it.

I think that IF is a better choice for kids to grow in up than Boise.

Old 10-14-2006, 10:50 AM

Thanks to both of you. I will mls the areas you suggested. You mentioned the letter streets...is the tree streets then a good choice? I have 5 kids two grown and on their own...hope they will join our move...3 little ones at home that we adopted.

Hope to move in the next year. Maybe prices will go up here and down in IF

Izzy

Old 10-14-2006, 11:09 AM

246 posts, read 326,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my3arabs View Post
You don't want Blackfoot, especially with children. Shelley ppl stick to themselves and do not like ppl from CA no matter what. Rigby is real nice with good schools. Iona is growing and some real nice homes and it is more out in the country and is still in the IF school district. Ririe is like Shelley, Ucon is a lil better than Shelley & Ririe but still a closed community.

The west side of IF is growing slowly with some real nice homes and trailer parks. But they are working on it.

I think that IF is a better choice for kids to grow in up than Boise.
You must be joking. Rigby is the epitome of insular. An interesting take on the term "real nice". Iona is a collection of farm houses with a windowless high school and no amount of Tyvek boxes will change that. Ucon is the same, less the HS.

3Arabs, you obviously don't have a history in the area. Izzy, to get real insight, ask a local.

Magpies

Old 10-14-2006, 12:17 PM

I'm looking for a home under $200,000. 3 BR+, 2BA+. 2-40 years old. Older ones need to be up to date and well maintained. I like the older craftsmen homes with the big porches. The large family size kitchen where everyone can hang out. But the newer ones with the high ceilings and the rounded double paned windows are nice too. Got to have at least one fireplace. Not concerned about a lot of property. But don't like my neighbors being so close that we can see each other in the windows. We are a noisy family lots of yelling across the house and running and screaming (playfully). Don't want to be so close to neighbors that we would bother them.

Want a good safe school district. Lots of trees, mature landscaping in the neighborhood. Love watching the sweet gums turn to fall colors. Must be with in 30 mins of IF. A safe winter road...or safer winter road.

Okay, now you know what I'm looking for...does anyone have suggestions?

Izzy

Old 10-14-2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
I'm looking for a home under $200,000. 3 BR+, 2BA+. 2-40 years old. Older ones need to be up to date and well maintained. I like the older craftsmen homes with the big porches. The large family size kitchen where everyone can hang out. But the newer ones with the high ceilings and the rounded double paned windows are nice too. Got to have at least one fireplace. Not concerned about a lot of property. But don't like my neighbors being so close that we can see each other in the windows. We are a noisy family lots of yelling across the house and running and screaming (playfully). Don't want to be so close to neighbors that we would bother them.

Want a good safe school district. Lots of trees, mature landscaping in the neighborhood. Love watching the sweet gums turn to fall colors. Must be with in 30 mins of IF. A safe winter road...or safer winter road.

Okay, now you know what I'm looking for...does anyone have suggestions?

Izzy
I mean this in the most gentle way, Idaho hasn't got it. The Snake River Valley is devoid of trees. The only fall colors you'll see are the ubiquitous brown of sagebrush.

There are no old, charming craftsman homes. You have a choice of 1970's Ranch or 1990's McMansion. Take your pick. The "charming" older homes are usually run-down rentals that house those gentle south-of-the-border folk who'll be mowing your lawn.

Magpies

Old 10-14-2006, 01:18 PM

Hi,

Went to the city/chamber website and looked at their photo gallery. They have several pics they called neighborhoods. The kind of trees I'm talking about are in the front yards on pics. Planted neighborhood trees.

A Ranch home will do...or a newer home. As far as the lawns...we have a rider mower and my husband enjoys doing it. What is a McMansion home?

Izzy

Old 10-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy View Post
Hi,

A Ranch home will do...or a newer home. As far as the lawns...we have a rider mower and my husband enjoys doing it. What is a McMansion home?

Izzy
Umm, OK. The Western Ranch is about as far away from the charming Craftsman you said you were looking for, but hey, it's your call.

A McMansion is to a home as a Big Mac is to a home-cooked meal. There are a few posts on the subject somewhere on this forum.

Magpies

Old 10-14-2006, 02:33 PM

Okay Magpies,

Do you have anything positive to say about Idaho Falls-Snake River area?

Izzy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho