Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2009, 07:39 PM

33 posts, read 65,260 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my family and I are from Austin, Texas, and we are debating or rather simply discussing on relocation options. Since none of us have any famly outside of Texas, this is a big step for us.My wife is a MA/Sonographer and I am a respiratory Therapist, we have 3 children,(3,9,17)all boys. we have narrowed our search to 3 states(if that seems broad you should have seen us a month ago) Alaska,Montana and Idaho.This is what we are looking for.
1) A good school system for my little one. Sports and extracurricular activities are important but not as much as how the school is rated academically and the safety(crime,gangs fights drugs etc.)
2) College for my older one, would like to be near a good college so he can be close to home.So I guess near a college town but not necessarily in one.
3) We all enjoy hunting ,fishing,kayaking outdoor activities( want to learn winter ones)
4) we still want that small town feel!where your neighbor is someone you can talk to when you just need a friend.Where my kids can grow up and get to know everyone, and be safe.
5) Need to be able to work in our profession to support our family.
Am I dreaming or does this exist? Any advice on towns would be so greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:42 PM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
What is your oldest child going to school for? That can make a huge difference.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:50 PM

33 posts, read 65,260 times
he is unsure at this point, probobly looking for a community college or an allied health career school.I just don't want him to start working and forget about school all together however, right now he is unsure.I think he is really looking into being a pilot.But this to may pass.lol

Old 08-03-2009, 07:16 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,274,525 times
While considering your occupations and your son's college education, the possibilities are somewhat endless. Here in SE Idaho you have Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho Falls offers EITC (Eastern Idaho Technical College) as well as some classes offered by ISU on a satellite campus. Boise and northern Idaho also have quite a bit to offer and I feel in regards to your youngest child you'll find some great schools in any of these areas.

Sadly crime is still available in any area of any state, however not as abundant in some places compared to others.

Most all of Idaho offers hunting, fishing, boating, camping, snow machining, ATV trails, hiking... etc.

You focal point will be employment, make certain you have that first! I can tell you when it comes to your wife's career, SE Idaho has a high volume in the OB/Gyn field.

Although Idaho Falls has grown since we settled here, I can still go to a Chukars (rookie team) baseball game and run into people that I know. Still carries a small town element.

Good luck with your search

Old 08-04-2009, 08:22 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Lightbulb Additional Higher Education will be Opening Soon in Idaho Falls

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
While considering your occupations and your son's college education, the possibilities are somewhat endless. Here in SE Idaho you have Idaho State University in Pocatello, Idaho Falls offers EITC (Eastern Idaho Technical College) as well as some classes offered by ISU on a satellite campus. Boise and northern Idaho also have quite a bit to offer and I feel in regards to your youngest child you'll find some great schools in any of these areas.

Sadly crime is still available in any area of any state, however not as abundant in some places compared to others.

Most all of Idaho offers hunting, fishing, boating, camping, snow machining, ATV trails, hiking... etc.

You focal point will be employment, make certain you have that first! I can tell you when it comes to your wife's career, SE Idaho has a high volume in the OB/Gyn field.

Although Idaho Falls has grown since we settled here, I can still go to a Chukars (rookie team) baseball game and run into people that I know. Still carries a small town element.

Good luck with your search
I have to back what cleosmom said. She and I feel strongly that people should secure their jobs first, in the area they hope to move to, as it relieves a huge burden for the family!

Besides the classes ISU and EITC offer in Idaho Falls, and what ISU offers in Pocatello (ISU is the state university given the charter to educate in health professions. Thus, the PA and NP programs, as well as Respiratory - but isn't that available or suppose to be in Idaho Falls too, cleosmom? They have PT/OT too.

Both ISU and BYU-Idaho have nursing programs.

Additionally, as I've been predicting, not necessarily on CDF, but elsewhere, since the state is slow to respond to educational needs in Idaho Falls, the private sector is moving in. Stevens Henager college will be opening in Idaho Falls fairly soon. I don't know the exact date, but soon enough remodeling is happening. Given their location, I'd say health professions and allied health professions are their #1 goal currently. Most likely, like Boise, the potential for enrollment will exceed the space they have secured. So some are thinking S.H. may end up building a building in Idaho Falls like they have recently done in Boise to accomodate many more students in many more fields of study.

Sonographers are in demand in eastern ID. If eastern ID becomes more of an interest, send me a DM and I can give you some names of potential employers (hospital, OBs and imaging centers).

Good luck making your decision. Sometimes, one just has to move because it feels right. I think you'll know when you'll know when you've found your "new home."

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho