Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:55 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times

Advertisements

You mentioned a really big garage. Sounds great, if you have a collection of cars! But what most of our Idaho friends would say, you should also think about building a pole barn. Most people even start with a pole barn, and stay in it while the house is being built. We decided not to do that, because then all the money would be spent on the pole barn! But it is a good thing to have a big indoor space to store things; you'll need a plow (snow!), and a lawnmower just to control those weeds (that's what people do: mow the weeds), and a place for the ladders and the lawn furniture etc., and the canoe! And the ATV! and don't you really also want a shop? That's life in Idaho! We'll probably just do a tall, wide carport, and enclose it eventually.

About those weeds: You could have a lawn instead of the weeds, but that takes a lot of water and upkeep. Friends of ours have sown little clover-like plants around the house that look beautiful, and need very little upkeep except for watering. We intend to mow around the cabin, and put gravel around it and in the driveway, but otherwise leave nature to do its own thing. We don't intend to spend summers agonizing over a lawn, in the middle of the woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 03:08 PM

551 posts, read 803,807 times
Thank you for all the great advice. I was planning on building a shop at the same time as the house but the builder thought it would be better to live in the house for a little while so I could figure out the best place for a shop. Is a pole barn the same thing as a shop?

My brother and I like to play with old cars so we have 4 old '60's Fords at his place in Acton, CA. I was planning to have a 6 car garage to store the cars until I can get the shop done. A big garage will make a great playground for the cats too once the cars are moved to the shop.

Just yesterday we finally finished rebuilding my brother's old 1965 International Harvester tractor for Idaho duty. We still have to get a battery to see if it runs right. Sure don't want to take it apart again. LOL Hopefully, it won't be too heavy for his trailer to tow to Idaho. I think he could drive it down the gravel road to my place once he clears the snow from his driveway. I plan on getting a big snowblower too. I guess an ATV and a boat won't be a bad idea either. Boy, I'm going to be broke. LOL

This is a photo of it while it was still apart.

Sure was hoping I could just leave my lawnmower (or weedmower) here and never have to use it again but I guess not. I see photos of houses with lawns but could they just be mowed down weeds? I think your idea about gravel around the house is a good idea.

Any photos of your house build in progress?

Thanks again.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
I really hope I'm not coming across as if I think I know everything --every day of this process is a learning experience for me! Three years ago I never heard of a pole barn!
But here are some, and they're really just big sheds, very solidly built, so you can have a shop in there:
How to Build a Pole Barn
Pole Building

I wouldn't agonize about having to mow a lawn or weeds, as long as you don't have to take care of 5 acres. The NID way is not a little electric pesky SoCal lawn mower--it's a john deere lawn tractor! Woohoo!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:48 PM

Thanks for the links. Those are actually pretty nice and would make great shops. I had a picture in my mind of some kind of shack held up by poles.

Boy, the list of toys that are needed is getting longer and longer: ATV, trailer for ATV, snowblower, boat, tractor to keep the yard clear of weeds, and........................ LOL

Old 08-30-2013, 12:52 AM

65 posts, read 153,614 times
My best friend is from Acton. He moved to southern Utah about 10 years ago. Those are real lawns you are seeing in NID , not just mowed weeds. Depending on your water situation a real lawn around the house is nice, and I keep the rest of mine mowed out in the trees because it looks nice and keeps the pests, and insects a little more under control. The wasps have been bad at our house, but we are getting them under control also. My lawn tractor has a plow blade, and chains for the rear tires. I am also working on a modified mower deck, and exit chute for snow blowing. We shall see if I can make it work soon enough. I figure riding the blower is better than pushing it any day.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 AM

Lawns look very nice but after spending a lot of time every week mowing and edging for the last 20 years, I'm kind of tired of it. Maybe I'll just put gravel around the house and spray for weeds.

What kind of wasps? Are they they ones that make the paper nests under the eaves of houses? Hopefully there aren't as many black widows in the panhandle like in the CA desert.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:06 AM

294 posts, read 544,329 times
Pole barns are designed to last 30 to 40 years. A shop with full foundation will be more than double that time frame.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
Pole barns are designed to last 30 to 40 years. A shop with full foundation will be more than double that time frame.
30-40 years is plenty for an old retired guy like me. I don't think I'll be around in 40 years. LOL

Old 09-02-2013, 03:50 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
If built from the right woods and in the right way, pole barns last much longer than 40 years. S.E. Idaho still has many functioning round-roofed pole barns standing that were built by Swedish immigrants over 100 years ago. A good pole barn should be good for 40 years with almost no maintenance if done right. With regular maintenance, they could easily last centuries. Swedish pole churches are as much as 1000 years old and are still standing.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:53 AM

294 posts, read 544,329 times
The old ones lasted a long time because they were made of old growth heart wood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho