U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2013, 09:06 AM

7 posts, read 64,811 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am hoping to get some information/opinions about living in Pocatello. My husband is considering a job there and I want to know as much about the realities of living there as I can before we make a decision. We are a small family, my husband (early 40's,), myself (late 20's) and our very young son (3 months). We currently live in a tiny town in Maryland. There is absolutely nothing to do here and I dislike it very much. Many of the people that we know are much much older than both of us and have raised their families and are in retirement. While we don't mind being friends with them, it would be nice to find couples that are in a similar stage of life as we are. It takes a two hour drive to get to a town with decent shopping, restaurants, culture or nightlife. Anyone with a young child knows that this is much too far to drive for an afternoon or evening (or even a day) of shopping or entertainment (especially once I consider leaving my son with a sitter for a "date night"). Previous to this location we lived in Portland, Oregon and absolutely love it for its diversity of just about anything. I have researched Pocatello using the city website, travel sites and other sites aimed at encouraging businesses to move there and people to visit. However, I would really like to get the opinion of people who actually live there. As a new stay at home mom I would love to have an area that is not only safe, but also has options for meeting other moms with children of a similar age. My husband and I would also enjoy having some opportunities for "date nights", family entertainment and culture. Any information, input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:57 AM

8,440 posts, read 12,687,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashalm View Post
Hello,

I am hoping to get some information/opinions about living in Pocatello. My husband is considering a job there and I want to know as much about the realities of living there as I can before we make a decision. We are a small family, my husband (early 40's,), myself (late 20's) and our very young son (3 months). We currently live in a tiny town in Maryland. There is absolutely nothing to do here and I dislike it very much. Many of the people that we know are much much older than both of us and have raised their families and are in retirement. While we don't mind being friends with them, it would be nice to find couples that are in a similar stage of life as we are. It takes a two hour drive to get to a town with decent shopping, restaurants, culture or nightlife. Anyone with a young child knows that this is much too far to drive for an afternoon or evening (or even a day) of shopping or entertainment (especially once I consider leaving my son with a sitter for a "date night"). Previous to this location we lived in Portland, Oregon and absolutely love it for its diversity of just about anything. I have researched Pocatello using the city website, travel sites and other sites aimed at encouraging businesses to move there and people to visit. However, I would really like to get the opinion of people who actually live there. As a new stay at home mom I would love to have an area that is not only safe, but also has options for meeting other moms with children of a similar age. My husband and I would also enjoy having some opportunities for "date nights", family entertainment and culture. Any information, input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tashalm,

I would like to invite you to read and search the Idaho Falls thread. From your research I'm confident you know Idaho Falls is 50 miles north.

Search the thread as well as asking questions after you search. I personally believe pw72 is the best current active poster to give you the inside story.

Also, research Idaho State University, not for educational content as much of how to find out issues. MSAs and CSAs can give you more demographics. If you belong to a church, ask your religious leader to connect you directly with the Pocatello congregation or if you belong to a professional association get in touch with others in Pocatello-Chubbuck.

There are a few things about Pocatello that remind me of Portland.

Looking forward to having you join us in the Idaho Falls thread. Many have recently posted about Pocatello.

Welcome to the ID Forum

MSR

Old 09-29-2013, 11:53 AM

7 posts, read 64,811 times
MSR,

Could you tell me what things in/about Pocatello remind you of Portland?

Old 10-01-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
MSR,

Could you tell me what things in/about Pocatello remind you of Portland?
Straight Interstate to get to other locations, hiking close by (but not w OR scenery) and airport relatively far from many businesses and many old buildings, a few are redeveloping.

I like lots of things about Portland except blatant bigotry very close friends experienced.

That's it for me.... you know the saying, "If you can't say something good don't say anything at all."

I've already invited you to search the Idaho Falls section as new or potential residents have posted their observations about Poky.

Shrimpandpotatoes might be able to help you, although when I requested the references for information the Census Data, and economic tracker s to support a statemen, Shrimpandpotatoes has yet to post them.

Good luck finding what you are looking for if you transfer.

Old 10-09-2013, 03:59 PM

2 posts, read 25,408 times
Tashalm:

If you haven't already moved here, read on. I moved to the Pocatello/Chubbuck area just 15 months ago; three months after moving here I put my newly purchased home on the market. I am of retirement age and cannot wait to leave.

This area is VERY kid friendly; lots of young (20 and 30 something) families with lots of kids, lots of play-dates, etc. The population is around 75% Mormon; not a problem, as many Mormons are quite nice. If you are non-Mormon, you will not be proselytized, so not necessarily a big deal, but you may not be warmly accepted. The people love their dogs; everyone seems to have at least two dogs, and each weighs around 100 pounds or more. And neither the kids nor the dogs are ever monitored or disciplined.

Summers are hot and dry; spring and fall have warmish days and cool nights (due to the altitude); winters are cold and snowy (42 inches annually). And the wind blows most of the time.

The air quality is very good from about October to March, as there is little industry; summer air is the pits, due to agriculture, dust and the "wildfire season". There is lots of skiing and many trails; if you like to wander the great outdoors away from people, dogs, ATVs, snowmobiles, don't imagine it will happen here.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:58 PM

6,037 posts, read 6,669,440 times
Meanwhile over in the Retirement sub-forum, this thread about South Bend references a "new" AARP web site.

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...re-budget.html

Where to Live and Retire for Low-Cost Living and Saving Money in the U.S. - AARP

Page 1 of the AARP article talks about Pocatello, "Northwest Wonderland".

Old 10-11-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Meanwhile over in the Retirement sub-forum, this thread about South Bend references a "new" AARP web site.

//www.city-data.com/forum/retir...re-budget.html

Where to Live and Retire for Low-Cost Living and Saving Money in the U.S. - AARP

Page 1 of the AARP article talks about Pocatello, "Northwest Wonderland".
I saw that too. I have very mixed feelings about the issue.

Local TV followed up interviewing a few. Some said they always had things to do all day. Not making light of their comments, e people I know are super busy. Some e quilts for local Pediatric Units in the Hospitals, many in business are mentoring, educators helping in the schools or giving free music lessons.

I think a person has to know where they would like to be if they got sick. Would you want go be closer to family and friends or dles it matter?

amenities some may take for granted in states where more retire may not exist in Idaho. There are many families with younger children compared to Sun City etc.

Do your research if you are thinking about moving to ID to retire. The birth rate and activities for families is not going to decrease.

It's always best to come and visit before firm plans are made.

MSR

Old 10-15-2013, 02:02 PM

6,197 posts, read 4,685,183 times
Quote:
Hello,

I am new to this region of the country and do not live in Poky (although I have visited it a number of times since we arrived here a few months ago). Bearing in mind my newness to the area, my being older and in a different life-stage than you are, and have only visited Pocatello a few times for various reasons, here are brief observations:

1. Lots of young families

2. Buy high (as in up in the highlands) - Poky floods a LOT and there are lots of low lying areas. Highlands are newer and downtown Poky is older. Buy high.
Severe flooding in Pocatello and Chubbuck closes many streets - Severe flooding in Pocatello and Chubbuck closes many streets: Local
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...px%3B332%3B240

3. Lots of shopping, restaurants, outdoor recreation. Chubbuck (right next door to Pocatello) is a bedroom community and within very easy commuting distance to Pocatello.

4. Surrounded by hills - pretty area - ski resort in the mountains close by (never been so don't know how good it is).

Can't say too much else because I just haven't seen enough of it, but my immediate reaction is that it would (might very well be) a good fit for a young family. My suggestion is look up "stuff" young families would like to do and see what pops up, instead of looking up things like the Chamber and Visitors Bureau sites. Things like libraries and library programs, mommy-and-me programs, recreation centers, lessons you may want your young ones to take in a couple of years - skiing, swimming, dancing etc. Look up bars or fitness centers etc that you and your husband may want to visit. Look up small museums, zoos, petting zoos, etc. Research pre-schools and schools re: ratings, teacher-student ratios, graduation rates if you plan on being around that long.

ETA: There's info online re: crime statistics but if you can't find what you are looking for call the local PD or Sheriff Dept and ask them about specific areas you are looking at. Pocatello is a nice enough town, but it's not Portland so definitely visit and look hard at resources available (and not available) that are important to you. The town will either fit or not fit - don't force it. If it's a good fit you shouldn't have to.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:06 PM

14 posts, read 41,441 times
I haven't lived in Pocatello for about 8 years, but I lived there the first 20 years of my life. It is excellent for children, when I was thirteen me and my friends would roller blade all the way across town after we would sneak out after midnight and there was never any real danger to us. There are outdoor opportunities all around, cherry springs and scout mountain are ten-twenty minute drives from the southern side of town. American Falls reservoir is a twenty minute drive and have some excellent fishing and boating. Pebble Creek Ski area is thirty minutes from town just outside of Inkom. The Mormon population is about 50% of the people. It's a small college town with not very many jobs. Most of the new business's seem to be popping up towards Chubbuck. I'm from Chubbuck so I actually like that side of town a bit better myself. Winters are cold and the snow will not accumulate most of the time, but will melt in a few days most of the time. The flooding that just took place was posted by all my facebook friends, and is unheard of. My parent's basement would flood with heavy rains, but old town flooding like it did this year is very rare. Houses are cheap in Pocatello and so is cost of living.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:52 PM

28,160 posts, read 19,883,753 times
Hi, Tashalm...
Both my sons live in Portland. They're both in their mid 30's, and I've visited them a bunch of times.

I'm an Idaho native and don't care much for large cities, but to tell the truth, Portland's culture bugs me in several ways. A lot of young adults there are into a weird hipster style that is all their own, and seem to spend a lot of money on being more hip than the other guy. (or girl) The areas that aren't full of this tend to have other funky stuff going on; lots of drugs, lots of toughs, etc. They all rub shoulder and seem to get along, but I don't like the vibe the city puts off.
But that may just be me. I have a bunch of old friends who live there, all immigrants from other places, and they all like it.

The other thing is I always have a very hard time getting around the city. The town is cut in half by 2 rivers, and the east side is laid out much differently than the west side. I always end up going over some bridge I believe won't get me to where I want. I rely on a GPS whenever I'm there.

Poky, on the other hand, is very relaxed. The town's culture is very family oriented, and the town is Idaho laid-back. It's the warmest town on this side of the state, and it's hard to beat a beautiful summer night watching an event outdoors in Pocatello. Poky has more 4-season outdoor stuff very close by than any other town in S.E. Idaho.

I'm a big Idaho Falls booster. It's my home town and it has a lot going for it. I do believe I.F. is a more dynamic town, but I would be perfectly happy living in Poky if I had a young family and a job waiting for me there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho