Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:37 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times

Advertisements

I'm becoming severely affected by this picture because the cat reminds me of our orange tabby-cat that we got from the Willcox, AZ, city pound who goes by the name of Casper. I named him Casper because he has such a cute, round, face that reminds me of Casper the Friendly Ghost, which was my favorite cartoon as a young lad.

I'm not kiddin'-I've always heard that large birds could do this but I've never seen a picture of the evidence of such an attack. It's like you're a war-journalist, mistyriver, someone behind the scenes that has snapped a picture of a devastating event that has happened that severely saddens the owners of the pets, in this case, not the families of those killed in horrible wars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I didn't take the picture, Elko...just saw it on facebook. It bothers me a lot too. Our orange and white cat, George wanted to go outside badly last night and I wouldn't let him after seeing that. He did a lot of "singing the songs of his people".

If you haven't yet watched this clip, The Sad Cat Diaries, and you have a cat, watch it. You will die laughing.

The Sad Cat DIary

Sad Cat Diary - YouTube

Old 11-09-2013, 09:01 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post

I'm becoming severely affected by this picture because the cat reminds me of our orange tabby-cat that we got from the Willcox, AZ, city pound who goes by the name of Casper. I named him Casper because he has such a cute, round, face that reminds me of Casper the Friendly Ghost, which was my favorite cartoon as a young lad.

I'm not kiddin'-I've always heard that large birds could do this but I've never seen a picture of the evidence of such an attack. It's like you're a war-journalist, mistyriver, someone behind the scenes that has snapped a picture of a devastating event that has happened that severely saddens the owners of the pets, in this case, not the families of those killed in horrible wars.
Me, too--I thought I mentioned somewhere (but I guess I didn't, had to check) that friends of ours lost their kitty to a Horned Owl, too, and she looked just like the cat in the pic. Horrible way to go.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:16 AM

279 posts, read 485,844 times
The Sad Cat Diary is hysterical. I couldn't stop laughing the first time I saw that.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
I'm hoping the cat got away in the picture.
Whether it's a coyote, raccoon, owl, eagle, cougar, etc....I think death by predator would be a bad way to go for a beloved pet. I'd like to not have it happen.
I feel sad enough about our poor hen. She came when she was called and loved our Pyr, Guinness. He would come into her coop sometimes to sleep with her or she'd go into his dog house.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:23 AM

414 posts, read 1,094,427 times
I love Sad Cat Diary so much. Sad Dog Diary is also pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xw1C5T-fH2Y

Old 11-09-2013, 02:27 PM

mistyriver - I know you didn't like what was happening in the picture, but, for some reason, I took that pic really hard. I don't blame you for posting it, in a way, I'm really interested in it. Sort of like the huge LIFE book I checked out a couple of months ago from the Alamogordo Library called WWII. I know it's not the same, yet it's sorta similar when you're so close to your cats. I know a lot of y'all feel the same way. I don't want you ta think you're some evil person for posting it, that's not what I meant. I checked out the WWII book to get a close look at an awful, horrible event I hope never gets repeated again amongst a gathering of nations. I found the book upsetting and yet interesting, too. Sometimes I feel weird for feeling this way, I just do.

I hope the kitty got away from the large owl, too. A co-worker was telling me that she has lost one of her hens to a couple of bald-headed eagles who have made a home in some nearby trees. She had been watching them admiringly for a couple of weeks. She was walking amongst her farm animals a week or so ago and one of her hens was missing. She looked up in the tree and saw her hen being eaten by the eagles. I kid you not! I don't know why I should think that it's impossible or unthinkable yet it's still shocking and...sad.

On another note...but sort of similar. Back in Willcox, AZ, again, in 2009 I was online searching for Burton Cummings/Randy Bachman tickets for their June 2009 show in Kelowna, BC, one lonely afternoon...at work nonetheless! It might have been StubHub or some sort of similar website such as that. They showed a little picture of a video with some cows and fowl on it and dared the computer user to look at it. I never should have...it was from a PAWS or PETA animal rights group of some sort from Canada. I clicked into it and started watching the video. I was disgusted. They showed sick cows being bonked with a metal rod to get in line, they showed chickens being smashed into the ground by farmers...like they'd gotten out of their pens or something...gross, gross video. I don't think the online ticket company knew it was attached to their website, who knows. It showed pigs being brought in and falling out of the bins down to the floor-their little legs kicking to get back up. Then the throat slitting of the hens, pigs, cows, etc., it was on there.

I was so upset I went over to the nurses station at the hospital I worked at and told some nurses about what I had just watched. I was not digging this feeling at all. I know this is what we do to animals. I called my Mom over in Mukilteo, WA, and told her what I watched. She said "Oh, I know, it's horrible how we treat animals!" I was near tears for days.

So I never should have watched this video but I did. I do feel that the video's owners meant good from it. They want animal right's activism over it. I strongly thought about becoming a vegetarian for a while. I didn't. I love to eat beef, chicken, pork, fish, etc.

I'll never forget it...we've all heard about WWII...at least most of us over 30 years of age have...doesn't make it right or doesn't make it believable...in a way, eh? So I wanted ta let you know where I'm coming from with animals. Those animals I own I love deeply and care deeply for them, no, that is not unusual, I know. It's just how I feel about them. And I think the owl-kitty photo served as a warning to me. Here in New Mexico all pets outside must be on a leash. Cats included! I don't mean ta stir up insecurities or anything. Just relating real feelings to y'all.

Old 11-09-2013, 09:48 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
The Sad Cat Diaries is so funny. Cats have that kind of stoic drama about them.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
I agree on keeping cats inside. There are just too many dangers out there. Also you might consult earthclinic reference natural people and pet remedies.

Ear Mite Remedies

Old 11-09-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks, todd00, I just might take ya up on that reference link. I can't stand ta see our grey tabby Matty sick like this. He's starting to get better from us giving him the antibiotic drops in his food...they were $51.00!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho