Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 08:05 AM

12 posts, read 19,639 times

Advertisements

Within a couple of years, my wife and I will be moving to Idaho. We have never been there, but from what we've read and the photos we've seen, it looks to be perfect for us. We are photographers, love nature and the rustic lifestyle.

We have a small budget of around 50K - 70K to spend on a house. We're NOT interested in stainless steel appliances and granite countertops like so many. Old homes, or even manufactured homes, would probably be our best bet I imagine. We'd prefer a rural secluded area, but not off the grid.

Any recommendations as to locations for us to look?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:33 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,664,614 times
Most scenic, rural, secluded area within 30 minutes of a town with services: Clark Fork! You can take pictures all day long, all year 'round, and still find new angles and be surprised. But I'm biased... Hope is also a wonderfully scenic place, but properties are more expensive.

An added recommendation: come out and take a look for yourself before moving. And if you can't, at least count on renting for the first 6 months while you look around for a house within your budget.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmccamy View Post
Within a couple of years, my wife and I will be moving to Idaho. We have never been there, but from what we've read and the photos we've seen, it looks to be perfect for us. We are photographers, love nature and the rustic lifestyle.

We have a small budget of around 50K - 70K to spend on a house. We're NOT interested in stainless steel appliances and granite countertops like so many. Old homes, or even manufactured homes, would probably be our best bet I imagine. We'd prefer a rural secluded area, but not off the grid.

Any recommendations as to locations for us to look?
Don't start thinking about moving to Idaho seriously until you have come out and spent some time here. Life here is a lot different than it is in the midwest. You really won't know how well you will like it here or not until you visit; Idaho may perfect for you, or you may find it terrible. Don't base something as important as a move across the country based on what you read or on some pretty photos.

A rustic lifestyle can be found in many places a lot closer to Ohio than Idaho. Nature abounds everywhere, too. With only $70k to spend on a home, you may find a better better place for you a lot closer to home than out here. And while lots of folks come out and love it, there are just as many who move and can't wait to go back to where they came from. That's the way it always is.

Come visit. Spend a couple of weeks or more exploring our big state.
When you do, I hope Idaho is everything you suppose it to be. But if not, at least you haven't committed everything you have in Ohio to a shot in the dark.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:48 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,741,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't start thinking about moving to Idaho seriously until you have come out and spent some time here. Life here is a lot different than it is in the midwest. You really won't know how well you will like it here or not until you visit; Idaho may perfect for you, or you may find it terrible. Don't base something as important as a move across the country based on what you read or on some pretty photos.

A rustic lifestyle can be found in many places a lot closer to Ohio than Idaho. Nature abounds everywhere, too. With only $70k to spend on a home, you may find a better better place for you a lot closer to home than out here. And while lots of folks come out and love it, there are just as many who move and can't wait to go back to where they came from. That's the way it always is.

Come visit. Spend a couple of weeks or more exploring our big state.
When you do, I hope Idaho is everything you suppose it to be. But if not, at least you haven't committed everything you have in Ohio to a shot in the dark.
I agree with BanjoMike. Never move to a place without checking it out first. My family lives in Cincinnati and while they think it's beautiful here, there is definitely an element of culture shock for them.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:30 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,710,915 times
Default Variety is widespread

Having lived in Ohio several times and had one long visit to Idaho, I echo the suggestion of visiting before launching out.

I lived in Mansfield, Celina, and Dayton. None of them are remotely comparable to anywhere in southern Idaho at the very least.

Cost-wise, I think you'll do better in SE Idaho. You'll be close enough to Jackson, Wyoming and West Yellowstone that you can make a long day trip to visit Grand Tetons National Park and the west side of Yellowstone National Park. To the east are plains and high desert. To the west mountains. The Snake River is a prominent feature. You will experience more wind than in Ohio, perhaps less snow, but not less cold. With the winds it may even be colder.

Somewhere near Pocatello or Idaho Falls you'll also have a bit of better health care. And housing costs will be much less than over on the other side of the state around Boise.

I can't give you any information about northern Idaho, since I've not gotten up there, but it appears to be more heavily wooded from topographical maps I've looked at.

Our visit to SE Idaho this past September was simply terrific. Fine people everywhere, reflecting the good folks that post on these Idaho threads.

Best of luck to you.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:59 PM

294 posts, read 544,259 times
70k. It's not going to happen anywhere near coeur d'alene.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:38 PM

208 posts, read 318,188 times
I'll concur, visit first. We moved here from MA in August, and I visited CDA and Idaho Falls. They are like two different countries. Cost of living is higher in CDA, but you may do better in their outlying areas. Once you get 1/2 hr outside of the city prices go way down, but their taxes are a little lower (at least in the comparison of homes we were looking at). Northern ID is great if you like more wooded areas, if you want bigger sky and open land SE Idaho is better. Take the time to visit here and compare ALL costs - taxes, utilities, gas prices...compare house to house (there's no standardized property tax rate - they seem to set it at whatever they feel like based on which neighborhood or road you live on.) We looked at one house that was comparable in price but utility bills were $150 more per month b/c the house was all electric vs. gas. Good luck!

Old 11-14-2013, 06:40 AM

12 posts, read 19,639 times
Great advice from all of you! We are reaching retirement age and have been around the block, and around the United States, many times (been in all the states surrounding Idaho). We know what it's like moving to an area, then realizing it was a big mistake (North Carolina).

We love wooded areas, so it appears the north would suit us better than the south. But are prices higher in the north?

"Life here is a lot different than it is in the midwest." Tell me more about the differences. What are the negatives?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,435,221 times
Quote:
Great advice from all of you! We are reaching retirement age and have been around the block, and around the United States, many times (been in all the states surrounding Idaho). We know what it's like moving to an area, then realizing it was a big mistake (North Carolina).

We love wooded areas, so it appears the north would suit us better than the south. But are prices higher in the north?

"Life here is a lot different than it is in the midwest." Tell me more about the differences. What are the negatives?
nmccamy,

I join the views of others posted here. If you use the search feature you can pull up at least one retirement thread that is current. I'd recommend reading the last two pages first. There is info in there most people won't address. Both Banjo Mike and I posted some very real examples for those having no connection to the state to consider.

There are wooded areas throughout ID. However, the cost is a totally different issue. As others have posted, I'm not certain what you can buy in ID for $70 K.

Please read those last two pages of the above-referenced thread before you plan your visit. When you are ready to visit we look forward to having you see the different areas of the state.

MSR

Old 11-14-2013, 01:11 PM

6,261 posts, read 5,068,185 times
Quote:
I have only been to Ohio a few times, but lived in Tennessee so I can tell you how life is different from Tennessee and my experiences (living both here in Idaho and in Wyoming):

1. Winters are longer and colder

2. You have to drive further between towns. The highways are much much quieter.

3. Racially it is not as diverse as back east. That can be a pro, con, or you can be indifferent to that fact, depending on your perspective

4. I don't have to listen to rap music pounding through the speakers of cheap souped-up 4 bangers

5. I don't have to view the underwear and sagging pants of gang bangers (both black and white)

6. The population is far less than any state back east, depending on where you live (most) of the state will have fewer shopping choices (and you may have to drive further to get to them than what you are used to), and there are fewer choices for any large scale cultural events or facilities (symphonies, art galleries, museums)

7. The scenery is unparalleled, there is virtually an unlimited amount of isolated public lands to explore (and you will run into very few if any people when you DO explore), the hunting is great and so is the fishing (and you can eat the fish)

8. There is crime. But nowhere near as much as there is back east.

9. For the most part the state is red. I sincerely hope that it stays that way.

10. Re: culture shock. I can't really put my finger exactly on any one thing that sums up why living here is different from living there. It's more like the totality of the experience of being here - higher mountains, sharper rock bluffs, bigger deer, the presence of wolves and grizzlies, fewer people, more guns, more cold, less traffic, more isolation, fewer businesses, fewer factories, less racial and political diversity, more quietly strong and self-sufficient people.

I'm sure others can chime in as well.

Last edited by juneaubound; 11-14-2013 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho