Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 02:50 PM

373 posts, read 589,533 times

Advertisements

Shop class, 8th grade. Was very sad. Not bleeding heart liberals by a long shot, we were very depressed about that. It was a sorta quiet Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,069,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I am sad to read that the younger ones make light of what happened but of course they cannot know what life was like at that time.
I was thinking about that the other day, related to 9-11. There are many people floating around this message board who were just young children when that happened. If they've ever watched those videos of innocent office workers jumping from the windows of the WTC to their deaths, they watch them from the abstract perspective of never having intrinsically FELT (deep inside themselves) what was happening in their country on that morning.

I'm not sure that public schools now do a good job of teaching world history, US history, the climate that led up to major historical events (the JFK assassination didn't happen in a vacuum), or the critical thinking skills needed to put past history, current history and future history into context.

Why should young people nowadays care about the assassination of a US president who was in office 50 years ago? What forces were in place that led to that assassination? Are any of those forces still in play today and if so how do those forces influence the current US and world climates? Could a JFK happen again? If so, why? If not, why not? I wish that families and schools would take the time to ask those questions of their young people.

That old saying about not knowing history and being bound to repeat it.............

Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
It's too bad you have not watch some of the many special on JFK this last week. They explain so much about the assassination and why it is the murder with the most questions in US History. Could it happen again? Well, yes an assassination of a president could happen again, but not one like JFK's. That was a much more innocent time in history and things were done differently then. You would never see a president and his wife, and the vice present and his wife, traveling down a parade route of people in open convertables ever again. Security these days is so much tighter. You would also never see the body of a president, his wife, the new president who just took his oath and his wife sitting on a tarmac all in one plane not taking off so that the new president can take his oath right away. You would never see the suspected assassin, who was not only suspected of killing the president but also a police officer the same day (police officers were very rarely killed then), paraded through the police station hallways with tons of reporters, camermen, and nutcases like Jack Ruby standing there. Lee Harvey Oswald, JFK's murderer never lived long enoughto get the answers to any questions, like did he act alone or not. Some people think the case is really cut and dry- Oswald acted alone and shot and killed the president and police officer with 3 shots from the book depository. But there are soooo many other questions that have been brought up, and many people feel the government kept facts from the US citizens. There are a ton of people that believe everything from a Communist plot, to the Mafia, to our own CIA, to at least one other gunman on the grassy knoll, and many many more beliefs as to how he died and who did it. You could probably not get 5 people to agree to what they felt happened. I think in all honesty that we will never know. President Kennedy was a young dynamic handsome well loved president with a lovely family, considered US royalty. It had been a long time since we had a presidential assassination and to have it done so brutally was a huge shock to the US. Then on top of that the killer had connections to Russia and was hoping to become a citizen to Cuba during a time where both Cuba and Russia were our nemesis. Then before he can be tried he is shot on camera for the whole world to see by Jack Ruby who had mafia connections. Lots of unanswered questions.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:20 AM

11 posts, read 18,834 times
LBJ took the oath of office on US soil. The reason he did not take the oath in the air was so he could be on US soil although there is no regulation stating where he takes the oath only that the oath is taken. Although by doing so on the tarmac it allowed for more media than the trip over to love field.

Old 11-26-2013, 10:42 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
It's too bad you have not watch some of the many special on JFK this last week. They explain so much about the assassination and why it is the murder with the most questions in US History. Could it happen again? Well, yes an assassination of a president could happen again, but not one like JFK's. That was a much more innocent time in history and things were done differently then. You would never see a president and his wife, and the vice present and his wife, traveling down a parade route of people in open convertables ever again. Security these days is so much tighter. You would also never see the body of a president, his wife, the new president who just took his oath and his wife sitting on a tarmac all in one plane not taking off so that the new president can take his oath right away. You would never see the suspected assassin, who was not only suspected of killing the president but also a police officer the same day (police officers were very rarely killed then), paraded through the police station hallways with tons of reporters, camermen, and nutcases like Jack Ruby standing there. Lee Harvey Oswald, JFK's murderer never lived long enoughto get the answers to any questions, like did he act alone or not. Some people think the case is really cut and dry- Oswald acted alone and shot and killed the president and police officer with 3 shots from the book depository. But there are soooo many other questions that have been brought up, and many people feel the government kept facts from the US citizens. There are a ton of people that believe everything from a Communist plot, to the Mafia, to our own CIA, to at least one other gunman on the grassy knoll, and many many more beliefs as to how he died and who did it. You could probably not get 5 people to agree to what they felt happened. I think in all honesty that we will never know. President Kennedy was a young dynamic handsome well loved president with a lovely family, considered US royalty. It had been a long time since we had a presidential assassination and to have it done so brutally was a huge shock to the US. Then on top of that the killer had connections to Russia and was hoping to become a citizen to Cuba during a time where both Cuba and Russia were our nemesis. Then before he can be tried he is shot on camera for the whole world to see by Jack Ruby who had mafia connections. Lots of unanswered questions.
^^^^^^

I agree with what you wrote Broken Crayola. And if I remember correctly, there hadn't been an assassination attempt on a U.S. President since... I don't know which one. It's just not what happened. Then there were so many in such a short period of time.

There are just so many questions for some of us.

Was Joe Kennedy, Sr. still alive with JFK was assassinated?

Thanks for your great comments along with those of everyone who has posted.

msr

Old 11-26-2013, 01:47 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,760,104 times
I was 10 and in 5th grade. I typically walked from my school home each day for lunch, it was only 2 blocks away. When I arrived home for lunch my mother had the TV on and she said the president had been shot. I was home during lunch when Walter Cronkite came on with that famous announcement that the president had died and the time as he teared up. We were all in shock. When I went back to school they said it was cancelled and sent us all back home. The day of the funeral we all watched on a large B&W tv that was in each room of the school. Our teacher wept so badly it left a puddle below her...I'll never forget that.

On a side note I FIRMLY believe not only was Johnson an insider to the event but that the CIA was also quite involved. Ladybird would have done anything to see her hubby as president. Consider the easily attainable evidence that GHW Bush's father was a Nazi supporter and assisted in bringing in ex SS elite into the U.S. after the war (well documented now as an operation) and started the CIA with their help. GHW Bush worked for the CIA at the time of Kennedy's death and no doubt was also involved. Consider the fact that President Kennedy had become an outspoken opponent to the "Federal Reserve" system, a pet to the Illuminati/Bilderberg's who run this world (oh please don't tell me you actually thought it was run by governments). That was his death sentence to be sure let alone the fact he made a public speech (on record) announcing that he was going to, prior to his leaving office, let the American people know about the conspiracy to enslave each and everyone of us, which is the Federal Reserve banking system we now are under, and that which will be our enslaving force and ruination of this country. Heck, it already IS. Oh and interestingly enough, my school mentioned was across the street from the very apartments Richard Speck murdered those nurses in. I lived 2 blocks away. it was only after THAT even we then began to lock our doors. Yes indeed the age of innocence had come to an END.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho