Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2013, 11:32 AM

115 posts, read 260,589 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if the experiences in rural schools are different than in urban districts? For example, does a large district like Boise or Meridian have more funds to do some of those 'extra' classes and the rural schools don't? Also in this area we have choices to move from school to school and there are charter/magnet schools to focus on what the student is interested in. (arts, science, medical, etc).

One of the things that would help the conversation is for information on what is taught and how it's going in each district. I think that would be the area to focus on more of a 'common core'; provide more choices to the districts that are lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2013, 02:06 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlady View Post
I'm wondering if the experiences in rural schools are different than in urban districts? For example, does a large district like Boise or Meridian have more funds to do some of those 'extra' classes and the rural schools don't? Also in this area we have choices to move from school to school and there are charter/magnet schools to focus on what the student is interested in. (arts, science, medical, etc).

One of the things that would help the conversation is for information on what is taught and how it's going in each district. I think that would be the area to focus on more of a 'common core'; provide more choices to the districts that are lacking.

I would say yes.
The thing that helps rural kids is access to IDLA. BUT, if the student is not self-motivated and has a difficult time learning on his own without a teacher actually in front of a class (as so many are) then it's not as great a fit. But my daughter was able to access AP and dual credit classes as well as more esoteric choices like Forensic Science, and more specialized history classes.

Another thing really lacking in my district are qualified substitutes. There was a real problem when my youngest was in high school with teachers leaving for maternity and paternity leave (English and math teachers) and leaving for entire semesters with no qualified subs available.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:02 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlady View Post

I think the urban districts vary. I know an elementary school that's located in our local Doctor's Subdivision has more computers and holds more arts classes than some other elementaries in the district. I'll bet the school's PTA gets funding that makes the difference, but I don't know that four a fact.

Old 12-09-2013, 06:43 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Agreed. I've seen our school cut things like Academic Decathlon that they've explicitly promised they wouldn't when they have school levy elections.
One thing I wonder about is sports. I'm totally in favor of sports and my kids participated, but when a school can't afford textbooks and are cutting other classes...and they are paying to bus kids out of state and hours away for scrimmages and games, maybe intramurals should be considered instead.
There is so much difference between the rural and urban school districts in this state.

I agree Misty, but at the same time, I know how squeezed and strapped rural districts are these days. I think the schools should follow a curriculum and not improvise, like showing movies instead of reading the books, but I also think Idaho needs to try some creative thinking as well.

One thing I came up with is a visiting mentor program. Visiting mentors would work like artists in residence; the mentor could be a retired teacher, or an artist, a writer, or scientist, and would be paid a stipend by the State, but the local district could do it's part by putting the person up in a volunteer's home, and/or feed the person, and/or pay for some needed supplies- anything that wouldn't cost much, but would still be a fair service.
In return, the mentor could stay for a month or two and hold concentrated classes on one subject. Then the mentor could travel to another rural district, or could go back home.

I think this would be one low-cost way to bring a very good chemistry teacher, for example, into a small rural high school and give the kids some sound basics that they simply would not have gotten as it is now.

If a small group of mentors, say 2-4 arrived on a regular basis every year, a public school could have a short 6-9 week semester, as some colleges do now. With ongoing computer support, I think this could help boost our rural kid's experience, and if nothing else, give them some exposure to subjects that may not be taught otherwise.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times
Default More Info about Common Core

There have been some great posts about Common Core that I hope to comment on later. I want to post links to some of the media Common Core has generated lately.

I hope some in the Boise thread will post here too. Their kids, potential future work force etc. are those who will be directly impacted by what will be law in 2015, just like all other students around the state.

1. Is Idaho bound for a Common Core war? | Idaho Legislature | Idahostatesman.com

2. Common Core: Is a battle brewing? | Idaho Education News

3. Q&A: Common Core academic standards | National | Idahostatesman.com

Nationally, what other states are or are not doing: Common Core opposition grows on LI, nationwide. (This matters at least to me as we've already identified children in our rural districts do NOT have the same opportunities as kids in Urban areas.

Misty, any guess of what % of high school grads in your way attend college?

5. This is the Statesman link for the Governor's online chat: Idaho governor defends openness, goals of Common Core | Education | Idahostatesman.com

6. I feel kind of odd posting this as I'm not an educator. However, I prefer information be shared from as many different viewpoints as possible. Idaho - Common Core Standards

7. Legislative Common Core Fight Looms - Huckleberries Online - Spokesman Mobile - Dec. 5, 2013

8. Idaho Teachers Prepare for Switch to Common Core

9. Critical thinking hallmark of Common Core class - National - Mobile Adv

10. IdahoReporter.com

I'll post more links as I can find links to those who oppose and want changes given other parts of the Common Core.

I hope some of these are helpful to all of us trying to learn more and be PRO-Active!

MSR

Old 12-09-2013, 08:36 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,742,442 times
Here is an article from out local paper. I don't know the percentage of high school graduates here who go on to college but from what I hear of the kids who went to school with my kids, it's a low percentage of those who actually graduate from college. Even kids with top grades and the highest ranked in the class must take remedial courses at college to bring them up to speed. This tacks on additional time and money.

School board talks levy, scopes common core - Priest River Times: Local/State News

Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM

115 posts, read 260,589 times
I would agree that even urban schools have issues. My point was that we have more choices in schools than the rural communities.

Both my kids have learning difficulties, but they didn't score low enough to get state aid. My son actually has a high IQ, but he has memory issues that cause him difficulties in learning compared to everyone else. Being in Boise has let us choose what school/learning environment fits their needs. I know we wouldn't have that in a rural setting.

What concerns me about common core is that we're putting everyone into a box, the same size and shape for everyone. Not everyone will fit that box. And we shouldn't judge our success by how many graduates go to college.

One interesting thing I've learned through my son's therapy is that a generation ago there were jobs for those who didn't fit the box--agriculture/farming, manufacturing, and other jobs that didn't necessarily require a higher education. Most of those jobs went away, but not that group of people. Now we as a society are expecting that group to automatically be able to go to college and have careers, when they are not wired for it. (trying to say this nicely)--there will always be a group of people who cannot succeed in college, and there will be a group who will succeed by technical training, and the group who succeeds in college.

Old 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM

Default I like the mentoring idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
There is so much difference between the rural and urban school districts in this state.

I agree Misty, but at the same time, I know how squeezed and strapped rural districts are these days. I think the schools should follow a curriculum and not improvise, like showing movies instead of reading the books, but I also think Idaho needs to try some creative thinking as well.

One thing I came up with is a visiting mentor program. Visiting mentors would work like artists in residence; the mentor could be a retired teacher, or an artist, a writer, or scientist, and would be paid a stipend by the State, but the local district could do it's part by putting the person up in a volunteer's home, and/or feed the person, and/or pay for some needed supplies- anything that wouldn't cost much, but would still be a fair service.
In return, the mentor could stay for a month or two and hold concentrated classes on one subject. Then the mentor could travel to another rural district, or could go back home.

I think this would be one low-cost way to bring a very good chemistry teacher, for example, into a small rural high school and give the kids some sound basics that they simply would not have gotten as it is now.

If a small group of mentors, say 2-4 arrived on a regular basis every year, a public school could have a short 6-9 week semester, as some colleges do now. With ongoing computer support, I think this could help boost our rural kid's experience, and if nothing else, give them some exposure to subjects that may not be taught otherwise.
I really like the mentoring idea. I know Chinese post - doc who was living with a host family. They were trying to find those types of opportunities for him to teach. I'm quite certain he had to return to China given what one of those who worked with him at INL is now doing.

Potentially, INL and anywhere that offers a Ph.D, fellowship and/or post doc has untapped talent who would like to make some extra $. Maybe Idaho universities could offer teaching in schools as a different option in some of their degrees.

msr

Old 12-11-2013, 11:27 PM

Default Even Letterman knows about Common Core..

I don't usually watch Letterman but was packing some stuff when he came on.

While he didn't use the words, "Common Core," he said if kids didn't learn and test better they would have to be a Kara's hin to be a success.

It was funny!

MSR

Old 01-09-2014, 06:22 PM

Default Perhaps We'll Learn More

Tom Luna is talking about the Common Core tonight in Idaho Falls. The beginning of the meeting, if I understand correctly, will give the parents who have formed the large group against the Common Core, 15 to present some of their concerns. Then Mr. Luna will have time to respond.

Hopefully, we'll have some media links we can post later both with the parents group and concerns discussed.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho