Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapie9969 View Post
So is common core different from state to state? Here in AZ it seems math heavy, like there is a demand for engineers or scientist. Also rather annoying questions about our home life. I think the teachers are having a hard time teaching it. Or its a bit much for the kids to grasp. PE once a week.
Kapie,

One reason for starting this thread is educational (no pun intended) for all who want to learn more. Good question. I can't remember for sure, but I think some of the earlier links address what is the same for each state and if Idaho requires more than other states or not. Check those and when I can finally find some links for parents ranging from very liberal to quite conservative uniting to oppose the Common Core in Idaho, something is different.

Part may be what has been documented here earlier. Idaho has some very rural areas and expecting small schools to accomplish all the same as the largest urban districts isn't reality. Conversely, the states with larger populations more uniform throughout the entire state. Whatever the strengths are or what is different in ID, we hope to tease out in this thread.

Here's the Common Core link: Idaho Core for Idaho Kids

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 09:42 AM

Default Problems with Idaho Common Core

Here's a link that may start to show where parents think Common Core is not right for Idaho Students. Most is in YouTube

Idahoans Against Common Core - Home

MSR

Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM

Default Process vs. Practical

I think this news link sums up some of the major concerns about Common Core. Should a student have an answer marked wrong, even if the answer is right, because the "process" of HOW to arrive at the correct answer, wasn't followed?

Also, does Common Core allow for differences in age? A 6-8 y.o. can't abstract the same way a 12 y.o. or 17 y.o. can. And what about Special Needs Kids who may not be able to abstract?

Reading this reminded me of a college chemistry or Trig class and having to prove, step by step, at the front blackboards for the Prof and 80-100 other students how I arrived at my answer. Fundamentals of strong math and working with abstract thinking (Algebra) and more prepared me. But could I have done this in Jr. High? I'm not sure.

Common Core a hot topic among parents, teachers | KTVB.COM Boise

MSR

Old 01-15-2014, 07:45 AM

Default Additional Info

I never expected all the PMs about this thread. Since Sage has limited to Idaho residents, a few who will be moving don't want to break the rules. I was asked to post this YouTube as well as another. A variety of professionals state the dangers of Common Core.

This was recorded in AR and addresses concerns throughout the U.S.

I'll call this from Neighbor - to - be #1 to maintain that person's confidentiality. New neighbors who don't want to break Sage ' s rule here sound like good neighbors anywhere in ID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd_r...e_gdata_player

MSR posting for another.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:13 PM

Default Timeline and National Info about Common Core Throughout the U.S.

From another observer who is following this thread out-of-state.

This has the timeline, states where parents are pursuing change and much more. I hope it is useful for someone.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EXf91A...%3DEXf91AGW2QA

MSR posting for outside reader.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:53 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times
Interesting thread. I've heard a lot of rumbling about how this will be a big issue in this legislative session but I haven't educated myself very well as of yet. That's a shame on me deal as I have a child entering school here in a couple of years with another following a couple of years after that.

I guess my largely uneducated knee-jerk reaction is that I'm not really a fan of ICC, because I don't know that standardized testing encourages the best kind of teaching, and in general I prefer more local control when it comes to education. But at the same time, the college attendance rate in this state is really bad and that's going to be a long term problem if it isn't corrected because we have to offer a well educated workforce in order to attract good employers as the state grows. Maybe holding schools more accountable will help.

Like most things I suppose there's not a very easy answer, but I'll follow this thread and look at some of the links to try to learn a little more.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 PM

35 posts, read 45,167 times
Everything I have read and the government sites I have visited on Common Core make me glad my kids are out of school but have justified my argument to my kids for home schooling our grandchildren. When they start taking away the power to "teach" and start directing with new books that have been "edited" by non-educators, there should be a concern. I have friends that are teachers and hear on a regular basis the elimination of things from text books that were core knowledge to be either erased or replaced. That scares me. Now Common Core seems to be tying the teachers hands. Where does it go from there?

Old 01-22-2014, 08:41 PM

Default Boise Meeting

Here's some more info from a Boise meeting.

Foes, backers of Idaho Common Core square off | Latest News - Home

Old 01-30-2014, 01:38 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,286,246 times
I second Sage.

So I will restrict comments to Common Core as debated locally. It is seen as a Big Brother overreach and seen as independent of articulated alternatives. I see both positions as understandable but unfortunate. Both stem from an inability (and perhaps unwillingness) for the community to elect representatives that can draft a suitable alternative free from ideological pandering.

All other thoughts...well are non-Idaho opinions...

S.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:16 AM

414 posts, read 1,094,898 times
Hmm, I was honestly withholding judgement on Common Core, but now I think I have my answer, and yes, I'll show my work in arriving at that answer with this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW0VxxoCrNo
Maybe I arrived at the wrong answer, but that's OK, because working under Common Core standards, as long as I feel good about my answer and show how I arrived at it, all is well.

"Of course we'd like kids to compute correctly, but we're really more focused on how they arrived at their answer....."

I honestly don't care what system schools use to teach kids, so long as the kids who are doing well in one area aren't held back because they're ahead of others in that area, and the kids who are struggling in another area have the help they need. Every child has certain aptitudes, and we need a system that is flexible enough to adapt to those needs. Personally, I think this is something that is best left up to individual parents and teachers who know each individual child. Those who are actually involved in a situation know how to handle it much better than anyone else, especially someone who doesn't know the specific situation and is trying a one-size-fits-all solution. I learned that lesson when I raised a guide dog puppy and got her initial one-size-fits-"all" training vest which wasn't even close to a fit even after she'd grown some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho