Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 11:28 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times

Advertisements

This will be a hot issue in the Legislature in 2014. I searched The Idaho Forum and couldn't find a thread.

What do you think of the Common Core Standards as it exists now?

In east Idaho unusual alliances of parents and others have been organizing for months to try to sway the Legislature to address this in much more depth. Please share your thoughts.

While it probably doesn't need said, PLEASE be respectful of those who have various opinions. I don't want Sage to have to move this to the
the Controversy, Political area where residents probably won't discuss this.

As one ID poster said to me, we don't tend to address problems in the Idaho thread the way many states do. We can change that and discuss state issues that concerns us.

Looking forward to your posts!

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 11:15 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
I haven't paid much attention to it, but I hope some of the other classes that are not math, science and English return. I believe art, music, drama,dance and debate are all very valuable in teaching kids how to think outside the box and on the fly. Art and music, especially band and orchestra, and dance also develop fine motor skills. All develop discipline and increase focused thinking. Increasingly more employers are looking for these qualities these days.

We need to concentrate on the three R's for sure, but they alone won't make our kids competitive in the global job competition they will face all their lives.

I also hope Idaho increases the ed budget enough to attract and keep experienced, well-trained teachers. I've seen a lot of them go over the past 5 years, especially men. Young female teachers who are single often get married, and often drop out of the profession for some time to raise kids. (Just an observation; I know just as many keep teaching.)

Around here, some are moving to Wyoming, where the wages and benefits are better. I'm worried that our best young teachers won't stay with the profession or will move to Wyoming, Utah, or other bordering states. We can't afford to lose the cream of the crop.

Old 12-09-2013, 01:01 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,836,115 times
MOD NOTE: Anyone who replies who is not an Idaho resident will have their post deleted. Same goes for any post that lacks a civil tone on this touchy subject.

I'm fine with Idaho residents sharing opinions on this issue that has become politically controversial, but it's walking a fairly fine line, so we're limiting it to Idaho residents since your background AS an Idaho resident will give your words weight and perspective valuable to others reading this thread.

Old 12-09-2013, 03:40 AM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
MOD NOTE: Anyone who replies who is not an Idaho resident will have their post deleted. Same goes for any post that lacks a civil tone on this touchy subject.

I'm fine with Idaho residents sharing opinions on this issue that has become politically controversial, but it's walking a fairly fine line, so we're limiting it to Idaho residents since your background AS an Idaho resident will give your words weight and perspective valuable to others reading this thread.
Thanks, Sage, for setting the ground rules! I've already received rep points w notes that others want to discuss this issue too without being mocked etc.

I probably am the most ignorant about the subject so I will post questions and hope others will too.
I value education and am very concerned about the rate of high school grads who attend, let alone graduate, from college or specialty trade/culinary/Disney - like animation specialty training etc.

From some comments I received, there could be others who share my limited knowledge.

I started this thread now prior to the Legislature beginning as they all should still be in their respective Districts for some of the holidays. What State Rep. or State Senator couldn't use a plate of homemade goodies for the holidays if anyone wants their State Reps/State Senators to know their views and their questions?
From an article I read in the Post Register, the small committee who will meet about this has some for it, some against it and others who haven't decided yet.

Hopefully, we can get viewpoints of educators, parents, businesses and Universities. They are starting to be quoted in the news......now is the time we can help each other better understand the different aspects of this hot button issue. Is it similar to programs in other states or is it carved out for Idaho students?

It's possible some areas of ID aren't as concerned about this as others. I would suggest potentially those are areas that have not had as much media coverage, but I could be wrong.

To get us started, apparently the Idaho Statesman recently had essentially a live webinar. Gov. Otter was there along with a few others. While I've not read the Statesman transcript of every question, I read two answers from Gov. Otter which I thought were answered poorly. I'm paraphrasing his answers and hopefully we'll be able to get the link from the Statesman. Gov. Otter was asked why the state hadn't explained this more thoroughly. His answer was it had been explained thoroughly. Wow, if someone asked the question then it appears to me it wasn't explained enough times or in a manner that all parents/educators/students could understand.

The second question was about why decisions had been made behind closed doors without parents being directly involved? Gov. Otter responded it wasn't a closed door discussion and to the best of his knowledge all present were parents or grandparents.

I don't know who attended that meeting, but it sounded like the parents and grandparents to whom he referred all receive a paycheck or some type of compensation from the state. While I can't say for sure, I believe the question was about parents who didn't have direct access to the Governor weekly, if not more frequently.

Let's see if we can get some links about this program and all it entails here. It may well be that besides learning more, the discussions I hope we'll have may be the practice some need to address the issues in their local communities.

I hope we treat each other well as a real discussion will bring out different viewpoints. The youth learn from us.....let's make them proud as we start to discuss differing viewpoints and learn from each other.

Thanks everyone

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 12-09-2013 at 03:56 AM..

Old 12-09-2013, 08:30 AM

25 posts, read 25,145 times
Too bad I don't live in Idaho yet. Currently in eastern Oregon and looking to move there when I retire from teaching next year, that's why this caught my attention. Best wishes.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:37 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
I don't know enough about the Common Core standards but I do think some kind of curriculum standard is necessary in at least some schools.
My youngest just graduated from a rural Idaho high school that offered classes that were taught by showing rated R movies entirely in place of textbook and curriculum, language classes "taught" by teachers who didn't know the language, and on and on.
Holding fast to a standard curriculum might at least give these kids a chance.
Thank goodness for IDLA (Idaho Digital Learning Academy) which had some pretty great teachers in an online setting who did follow a set curriculum and who offered AP and dual credit classes.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:24 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I haven't paid much attention to it, but I hope some of the other classes that are not math, science and English return. I believe art, music, drama,dance and debate are all very valuable in teaching kids how to think outside the box and on the fly. Art and music, especially band and orchestra, and dance also develop fine motor skills. All develop discipline and increase focused thinking. Increasingly more employers are looking for these qualities these days.

We need to concentrate on the three R's for sure, but they alone won't make our kids competitive in the global job competition they will face all their lives.

Agreed. I've seen our school cut things like Academic Decathlon that they've explicitly promised they wouldn't when they have school levy elections.
One thing I wonder about is sports. I'm totally in favor of sports and my kids participated, but when a school can't afford textbooks and are cutting other classes...and they are paying to bus kids out of state and hours away for scrimmages and games, maybe intramurals should be considered instead.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:15 AM

Default Salient Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I don't know enough about the Common Core standards but I do think some kind of curriculum standard is necessary in at least some schools.
My youngest just graduated from a rural Idaho high school that offered classes that were taught by showing rated R movies entirely in place of textbook and curriculum, language classes "taught" by teachers who didn't know the language, and on and on.
Holding fast to a standard curriculum might at least give these kids a chance.
Thank goodness for IDLA (Idaho Digital Learning Academy) which had some pretty great teachers in an online setting who did follow a set curriculum and who offered AP and dual credit classes.
Great post, Misty.

Wow, R - rated movies for classes ( did parents go see a free movie too?) Education is long overdue for a discussion here.

I can only speak for myself, but everyone I know wants good educators in the schools teaching kids. That doesn't mean parents can parent by "electronics" as I call those who never review or help with homework etc. Instead they send their kids a text message asking if the child is studying LOL etc.

You introduced a fact I didn't know. It sounds like one or more districts have employed teachers who weren't proficient in English.

I think most adults want standards to make sure rural kiddos are getting taught what those in Metro areas are. It's the extras of the Common Core that have caused a fairly good sized group in eastern ID to unite against this. I suspect there are groups throughout the state. Perhaps we can get some links for this discussion.

I also agree I think sports do a lot of good things for kids, but if it is a choice between learning Algebra vs. Baseball, I think many in a district can volunteer with baseball and a teacher who knows how to teach Algebra is more important for students. Too many parents and others never learned that math skill.

I appreciate all your great points, Misty

MSR

Old 12-09-2013, 10:19 AM

Default State Common Core Link

This is the link for Common Core:

http://www.sde.idaho.gov/site/common/

Old 12-09-2013, 11:07 AM

Default Different Skills Via Different Classes---the Arts Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post

I also hope Idaho increases the ed budget enough to attract and keep experienced, well-trained teachers. I've seen a lot of them go over the past 5 years, especially men. Young female teachers who are single often get married, and often drop out of the profession for some time to raise kids. (Just an observation; I know just as many keep teaching.)

Around here, some are moving to Wyoming, where the wages and benefits are better. I'm worried that our best young teachers won't stay with the profession or will move to Wyoming, Utah, or other bordering states. We can't afford to lose the cream of the crop.
Thanks for pointing out some good info about how kids develop skills with different classes, Mike. I hope the more artistic classes can be offered at schools too. I think particularly in our part of the state that is where all those who Home School could make some different choices and benefit many. Kids who are home schooled may get superior education in some of the 3Rs. However, if a child doesn't socialize or interact with others their own age, that can set up a different set of obstacles attending college.

The arts: band, choir, art etc. are all classes those who are Home - schooled could easily walk into the local school and fit in, IMHO. Socialization and learning one is not always the most talented person in a class of two.

At least we'll get a discussion started.. .

Thanks,

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho