Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,371,576 times

Advertisements

I've been watching the CDC for 2- 3 weeks about the massive flu outbreaks in TX and other southern states. We've been lucky in Idaho so far. Now our first fatality. Please take precautions and talk to your doctor about immunization. This year's strain has some H.1.N.1. like we saw in 2009. Man dies of flu in Idaho | Latest News - Home

Let's hope this is an isolated event.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 AM

2,389 posts, read 2,987,786 times
Sad news to be sure. Older people and others who are at higher risk of serious complications should consider getting a flu vaccination each year.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,688,476 times
Everyone who can should get a flu vaccine. That's what makes herd immunity and lowers the chances of people who can't be vaccinated getting it.
My family was all vaccinated back in October. Sure, no vaccine is 100 percent effective, but I'd rather lowered risk of getting it than no protection at all.
Real, honest to goodness flu (not stomach bugs but INFLUENZA) is nothing to mess with.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:53 AM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
The H1N1 flu strain will make anyone who gets it very sick.

I got it in early September of 2010, and I was the sicker by far than at any time I have gotten ill in well over a decade.
I have a strong immune system, but I ran a temperature for over a week, and was bedridden for 2 weeks.
I had broken a couple of ribs 5 weeks earlier when a ladder broke and dumped me, and I coughed so hard and often that both ribs, which had been healing well, broke again.

I was sick until the first week of December, and the recovery was very slow. The flu swept through here like a sythe, laying young, old, and adults in their prime out equally. It's nothing to risk, for sure! When I heard this strain was going around again, I got a hi-dose vaccination 2 months ago.

There are 3 different inoculations that are available now. Please get one if you haven't already. You will be protected within 24 hours if you do.

Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 PM

If you ever want to read a great book about how flu can kill, get The Great Influenza by John Barry. Very frightening how that flu strain was able to use the strong immune systems of the young and healthy against them and how it killed so many.

Amazon.com: The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History eBook: John M. Barry: Kindle Store

Old 01-03-2014, 01:58 PM

6,328 posts, read 7,673,059 times
Thanks for the reminder. When I returned home two weeks ago from eastern ID, I got the worst "cold" that I have ever had. (Guess that's what I get for leaving ID.) Just last night, I got the first good night's sleep since and haven't been coughing hardly at all today. On my way home, I'm stopping at the doctor's office to see about getting a flu shot. Only once before did I ever get one, but at 62, it is probably a good idea to start.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM

25 myths about the flu vaccine debunked - DoubleXScience

Old 01-03-2014, 10:41 PM

265 posts, read 683,921 times
Be careful out there. Within last five years I have had it twice, along with a cold one time right after. I was practically in the bed for a whole month that time. No joke take care of yourself for you and your families. Peace.Jim

Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 AM

Default EIRMC in Idaho Falls Reporting ~ 20% of E.R. "flu" Positive for H1N1

This comes from the Post Register so I can't post a link until other media publish.

Since 12/23/2013, about 20 % of E.R. patients with the flu are testing positive for H1N1. Five patients are on vents currently.

Before anyone trashes EIRMC, please keep these facts in mind:
1. One of two Trauma II Certified Hospitals in Idaho, the next closest for eastern ID would be Ogden, UT, St. A L'S in Boise and St. Patrick ' s in Missoula and St. Vincent ' s in Billings.

2. It is a White House Designated Hospital.

3. Covers more than 300 K residents and visitors.

4. Referral hospital sometimes as far west as Burley, to the north covers Bozeman, YNP, to the east Jackson Hole and smaller WY towns and south essentially to the UT border.

5. Has the only Infectious Disease docs who practice in the area. They are extremely well trained with residencies and fellowships at Yale and Columbia P & S.

So EIRMC gets the sickest patients.

I had seen WY spike in flu cases I think it was last week. CDC always publishes data a week late.

If anyone hasn't had the flu vaccine, PLEASE talk to your health care provider about getting it. There are companies that will vaccinate at business locations, the local health Dept.and most primary cares should have the vaccine.

Pregnant women, talk to your OBs!

Some people can't have the vaccine for various reasons. But everyone can WASH your hands, stay home if sick and cough into your elbow etc.

This is the link for the ID Dept. of Health. They have recommendations for schools and others. Idaho State Department of Education - Idaho H1N1(Swine Flu) Information for School Personnel

The general CDC site is: Home | Flu.gov

I know Banjomike had a tough time clinically in 2009. I kept the ID thread updated as I got a lot of insider info from the wonderful Pulmonary/Critical Care Docs in a hospital elsewhere with about 550- 600 beds and they had two medical floors full of H1N1 patients. They were among the first five groups to publish their findings.

I remember leaving the patient's room where I was and counting 29 new patients admitted one night. And I had access to the batch emails one health care system sent clinicians as often as needed.

It's going to get worse before it gets better. We all need to keep track of the highest risk patient groups. Check on friends and neighbors if no one has heard for a while. Better that someone thinks you're bugging them vs. wishing you had.

Been there - got a cancer survivor through it. As exposed as I was, I'll have to read and ask my doctor if I should have immunity to it. I guess that is one of the things we'll learn in 2014. My bet is no- given how nasty H1N1 is.

Please post updates for your areas of ID as you hear them.

This thread is not meant to frighten vs. educating and keeping others as safe as possible. Early diagnosis helps. Let's be smart and try to keep our H1N1 numbers as low as possible.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-04-2014 at 02:17 AM..

Old 01-04-2014, 11:37 AM

A quick look nationally.

Seasonal flu widespread in the United States: CDC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho