U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 01:50 AM

49 posts, read 91,043 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are heading out to Cda in April and wanted to enjoy the outdoors a little. I'm not terribly familiar with the area and was hoping some locals would know of a fun hiking spot or two? We are flying into Portland and driving east. Would it be better to find something to do in Oregon or Washington? Totally open to any suggestions. Thanks for the help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 AM

291 posts, read 396,966 times
I was just there in October and hiked the Mineral Ridge Trail just a bit to the south east of CdA. Take I90 east, highway 97 to the south and the trail head is off to the left (as you travel south) in Beauty Bay. It's a beautiful little hike close to town.

There are more trails even closer to town on Canfield Mountain but we didn't get a chance to try those, we'll have plenty of time when we move up there though.

Old 01-24-2014, 10:17 PM

154 posts, read 291,059 times
Dude the drive from portland is AMAZING.. insane scenery

There is a hiking trail in Liberty Lake WA just over the state line, Qmelin Park in Post Falls, as Para said Mineral Ridge in CDA by wolfs lodge. There is a forestry service office right in CDA off Kathleen St I think. You can go in there and they'll give you maps and brochures of all the cool stuff to see and do... they have maps of all the scenic byways, eagle watching, hiking, offroading... all of it

There are a ton of other trails but a lot of the forest roads are ice right now so I haven't been able to check them out yet

Old 02-02-2014, 01:56 AM

4 posts, read 9,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0ns0n77 View Post
My wife and I are heading out to Cda in April and wanted to enjoy the outdoors a little. I'm not terribly familiar with the area and was hoping some locals would know of a fun hiking spot or two? We are flying into Portland and driving east. Would it be better to find something to do in Oregon or Washington? Totally open to any suggestions. Thanks for the help.
I have to agree with Para - Mineral Ridge is one of my favorite hikes. I like Tubbs Hill if you want to be right in town with some spectacular view. If you come in April you'll see all our wildflowers in bloom like Arrowleaf Balsamroot / Fairy Slippers/ Fairy Bells/ Yellow Bell/ Dogtooth Violets/ Wild Hyacinth and so many more.

You can also enjoy Farragut State Park, about 20 north of Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. Farragut is located at the south end of Lake Pend Oreille, another huge lake. I would also check out Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes and Hiawatha bike paths in North Idaho

Old 02-02-2014, 03:23 PM

36,412 posts, read 22,588,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by br0ns0n77 View Post
How far to you want to hike and how much "adventure" are you looking for? Mineral Ridge is a nice little 1-2 hour hike IIRC (short anyway, nice afternoon hike). It does have some really nice views of the lake and is very accessible. If you want to go further or see more remote areas, there are plenty of places to go. A real pretty trip with a hike is up the CDA river to Pritchard, head east to Thomson Pass, then park and hike in to Rivette Lake. It's a pretty alpine lake, IIRC, 1-2 miles each way. There are a number of day hikes (or overnighters if you want to backpack) up around Scotchman Peak (Clark Fork Area), as well as all kinds of trails on Forest Service land.

Do you mind driving some miles of gravel roads to get to the hiking trails? Most on Forest Service land require some gravel roads. I'm more familiar with the ATV and dirt bike trails than hiking trails though. Most of the "hiking" I've done is during hunting season...and not on trails.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: