Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
What is you source that he was driving 55 mph? I can only find that he was driving "at a low rate of speed".
The ISP blogspot report I included on the previous page. Did you miss it when you read the post?

Here's the link again. Check the second paragraph, third line.

Idaho State Police - News and Information: Final Update - Crash blocking Southbound I15 at 103.5

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
In South Dakota, the maximum legal speed is 80. The minimum legal speed is 40. How is driving 55 a problem?
The accident wasn't in South Dakota. Somehow you seem to think SD laws are implacable in Idaho. Motorists in Idaho must follow Idaho law.

This subject was discussed in depth in earlier places. Please feel free to read them.

Thank you for illustrating my point perfectly. You seem to have made assumptions about Idaho being identical to SD. As I wrote earlier, different laws for different states.

Idaho's maximum speed, where allowed is also 80 mph for cars. Trucks have a lower speed limit. Feel free to search for the accurate facts yourself. I don't need to post what was posted much earlier here.

As a friendly tip, I'd suggest you read the thread prior to posting and/or research this information yourself online. This is an Idaho thread, not a national one or South Dakota one.

MSR

Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
What is the freeway minimum speed limit in Idaho?

Old 04-28-2015, 09:49 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
The ISP blogspot report I included on the previous page. Did you miss it when you read the post?

Idaho State Police - News and Information: Final Update - Crash blocking Southbound I15 at 103.5

MSR
MSR...I'm reading that post and I do not see where the guy was doing 55 mph.

"On April 24, 2015, at 3:57 p.m., Idaho State Police investigated an injury crash southbound on I15 at mile marker 103, near the Blackfoot Rest Area.

Jesus Garcia-Moreno, 55, of Enumclaw, WA, was driving southbound on I15 in a 1994 Nissan Sentra at a low rate of speed. Brad Ralphs, 60, of Rockland, ID, was behind Garcia-Moreno in a 2013 Kentworth semi, hauling potatoes. Ralphs attempted to swerve right to avoid a collision, but struck the rear of Garcia-Moreno's vehicle. Garcia-Moreno went off the left shoulder and Ralphs' truck overturned on its side, blocking traffic. The southbound lanes were blocked for approximately three hours.

Both drivers were wearing seatbelts and alcohol was involved.

Garcia-Moreno was transported by ground ambulance to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls.

The crash is under investigation by the Idaho State Police."

Old 04-28-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What is the freeway minimum speed limit in Idaho?
Can't say I have ever seen a minimum posted on the interstate, but honestly, I would not pay attention to it since I don't drive the minimum on an interstate; but I do watch out for slower drivers. They are not unique to ID!!!!!

TITLE 49
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 6
RULES OF THE ROAD
49-655. MINIMUM SPEED REGULATION. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with the law. (Emphasis added by me.)

Wow; not an attorney, but know plenty, and I have spent the night in a Holiday Inn Express at times.

But that statement is really ambiguous. I guess IF THE driver of the car, was under the influence of alcohol (I am NOT SAYING HE WAS)), then that, and the fact he was driving slower than posted limit; could make a case for the truck driver. I can see this will probably end up in court.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
MSR...I'm reading that post and I do not see where the guy was doing 55 mph.

"On April 24, 2015, at 3:57 p.m., Idaho State Police investigated an injury crash southbound on I15 at mile marker 103, near the Blackfoot Rest Area.

Jesus Garcia-Moreno, 55, of Enumclaw, WA, was driving southbound on I15 in a 1994 Nissan Sentra at a low rate of speed. Brad Ralphs, 60, of Rockland, ID, was behind Garcia-Moreno in a 2013 Kentworth semi, hauling potatoes. Ralphs attempted to swerve right to avoid a collision, but struck the rear of Garcia-Moreno's vehicle. Garcia-Moreno went off the left shoulder and Ralphs' truck overturned on its side, blocking traffic. The southbound lanes were blocked for approximately three hours.

Both drivers were wearing seatbelts and alcohol was involved.

Garcia-Moreno was transported by ground ambulance to Eastern Idaho Regional Medical Center in Idaho Falls.

The crash is under investigation by the Idaho State Police."
You are correct. My source for that was a small paper that is close to where the accident happened. However, I rarely read that newspaper and I made a decision not to include it as a source simply because my gut didn't feel right about it. I can easily see how the age of the WA man got written in the wrong place. Glad I found the ISP blogspot instead.

There is nothing *official* about the speed of either vehicle in the ISP report. I apologize for my error. There is no proof the WA man was even traveling at 55 mph.

I agree f5, I think this will become a legal case soon, if it hasn't already.

More reasons for all to be cautious during the months many tourists are on the road.

MSR

Old 04-28-2015, 12:10 PM

NO problem.

I would guess speed of the vehicle hit could be hard to guess within 10 mph. But, not a accident investigator so not sure.

As for tourists! As someone who lived in Moab for six years, and only accidents I had were with big boulders on some serious, well known, off-road trails, I know about tourists and how to dodge them.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:17 AM

Update on accident...
The driver of the car, Jesus Garcia Moreno, has been charged with DUI, impeding traffic, violating an open container law and having no insurance. And I would guess no use suing him for any monetary rewards. However, I am hoping the trucking company's insurance company does sue and attach all current and future assets.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:25 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post

MSR

Quote:

OK, I'm blind then. Please highlight the part where it says he was traveling 55 mph. Maybe we are reading it in a different language. I'm still reading that he was traveling "at a low rate of speed", nothing about 55 mph.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

OK, I'm blind then. Please highlight the part where it says he was traveling 55 mph. Maybe we are reading it in a different language. I'm still reading that he was traveling "at a low rate of speed", nothing about 55 mph.
Please read post 86 and continue to your post.

I don't plan on revisiting this accident unless there is a lawsuit or something different. There are multiple sources for this real life accident. Early pages in this thread discussed the likeliness of this happening. Now it has. It was important to post this real case so drivers could see what happened when a car was driving too slow in an 80 mph zone.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 05-04-2015 at 12:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho