Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 12:42 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times

Advertisements

Sage, I couldn't find a similar title that included the entire state. I feel strongly that this should be limited to CURRENT IDAHO residents only as this thread could easily be high-jacked by angry outsiders from any side of this issue. Also, in the cities that have passed equality laws, Idaho tax payers are paying the taxes, not outsiders.

My Goal and Hope for this thread is to have honest exchange of ideas, share resources for those who may not have them, clarify misunderstandings and hopefully stop any other person from being victimized or taking his/her own life. Other neighboring states are addressing the concerns and fears, I think it is time for Idaho to as well. This will also allow those who are considering moving to ID to have a more central location to review information from various cities.

I know I get very tired of some who start multiple threads and hint in all of them about their real question but never ask it directly. Others who are looking to relocate to Idaho don't know how to understand what seem like convoluted questions either, as recent PMs from some to me have stated. We have to wonder if trolls or some trying to learn more about politics for the next election cycle have started to post vs. those who truly are wondering about Idaho as their future residence.

Obviously, any other guidelines you and regular posters think should be incorporated are welcomed by me. It is my expectation that anyone posting would be as thoughtful in their remarks and no one's questions would be mocked. It's beyond the scope of this discussion to assign blame about what has or hasn't happened to date in any city or state, or any groups who may feel differently. The discussion is from today forward, not in the past.

For me, I think of posting about this subject like talking to a valued friend. This will take all of us making sure we're being good neighbors to each other. We won't all agree, but I'd certainly rather attempt a respectful discussion that might even be a 2014 blueprint for how some towns could have similar discussions and don't know how.

Depending on what Sage and all of the ID regulars feel, I would like to both acknowledge Gov. Jan Brewer's Veto on Wed of AZ Senate Bill 1062 and look how several UT cities are attempting to build bridges:

Mormons Building Bridges seeks to connect LDS, gay communities (2/21/14 12:28 pm)

I hope we can have a helpful dialogue and potentially even start some healing for those who want to try to have a productive exchange of ideas. A lot of Idaho residents have family members who are LGBT and have suffered in silence. Focusing on family members would be a great topic in this discussion.

Thanks Sage and everyone for your thoughts and suggestions of how to make this discussion wkrk so Sage doesn't have to close the thread. I think we can start a meaningful, respectful dialogue here.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-27-2014 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: I can't correct the typo in the title. It should be LGBT. Sage can you edit that please?

Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 AM

719 posts, read 1,567,479 times
Public opinion has shifted dramatically on this and I think within a fairly short period of time LGBT rights will be federally protected/mandated, so Idaho is going that direction whether it wants to or not. I do think it would be a very positive signal to the rest of the country if we did so willingly beforehand, though I think it's really unlikely to happen that way just do to the nature of politics in the state.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
That Utah based institution is hypocritical. Our state leaders who are involved in that religion are some of the biggest roadblocks in the statehouse!

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...s-in-pocatello

Journal: Mormon Church Arranged Lobbyist to Push Against LGBT Protections in Pocatello
Posted by George Prentice on Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Our current governor does not represent the state, he is out of touch. Ex Governer Phil Batt (R) has a lot more common sense then Otter. Refer to the links below and read the comments left by other Idahoan's.

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/gov-...dd-the-words/#

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/0...s-back-on.html

Last edited by Syringaloid; 02-27-2014 at 09:38 AM..

Old 02-27-2014, 05:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
I think a statewide acceptance of LGBT civil rights, or better yet, a nondiscrimination law, would go a long way to dispel Idaho's lingering reputation as a state that welcomes neo-Nazis.
This rep hurts us, especially with California and East Coast businesses who consider moving or setting up new development in Idaho. When big biz looks us over, everything looks attractive except for that bad reputation.

Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
Public opinion has shifted dramatically on this and I think within a fairly short period of time LGBT rights will be federally protected/mandated, so Idaho is going that direction whether it wants to or not. I do think it would be a very positive signal to the rest of the country if we did so willingly beforehand, though I think it's really unlikely to happen that way just do to the nature of politics in the state.
IdaD,

I appreciate your post. We can't control others but we can teach or help some who don't know how to have a respectful discussion.

Again, the focus is going forward not relieving the past. I think this allows parents to learn more about talking to their kids etc.

Please post ideas you might have for community or other dialogues. I remain concerned about those who live in small areas and consider suicide vs. knowing hotline numbers and more resources.

Thanks

MSR

Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 PM

Default Always Concerned about the State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
That Utah based institution is hypocritical. Our state leaders who are involved in that religion are some of the biggest roadblocks in the statehouse!

http://www.boiseweekly.com/CityDesk/...s-in-pocatello

Journal: Mormon Church Arranged Lobbyist to Push Against LGBT Protections in Pocatello
Posted by George Prentice on Sat, May 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Our current governor does not represent the state, he is out of touch. Ex Governer Phil Batt (R) has a lot more common sense then Otter. Refer to the links below and read the comments left by other Idahoan's.

Gov. Batt says Idaho's 'disdain' of gays hurts his family, urges 'Add the Words' » Idaho Statesman Blogs

Phil Batt: Again, Idaho turns its back on gay rights | Idaho Political Commentary | Idahostatesman.com
Syringialoid,

One fact I respect about you is how you will leave the Bkise sub-forum and post on state issues. I wish a few more would too.

Knowing we can't change the past, what ideas do you have for the entire state and starting new dialogues?

I look forward to your suggestions (apolitical so this isn't closed here by Sage and moved to Politics etc.). I really hope we can keep this thread open here so those looking can find information, resources and even the thread.

MSR

Old 02-27-2014, 07:33 PM

Default Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think a statewide acceptance of LGBT civil rights, or better yet, a nondiscrimination law, would go a long way to dispel Idaho's lingering reputation as a state that welcomes neo-Nazis.
This rep hurts us, especially with California and East Coast businesses who consider moving or setting up new development in Idaho. When big biz looks us over, everything looks attractive except for that bad reputation.
I think you have some very valid points, Mike. What would you suggest or recommend to get a more civil dialogue happening statewide?

MSR

Old 02-27-2014, 10:53 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
It absolutely needs to happen. Unquestionably. There is no justifiable reason not to extend basic civil rights protections to LGBT folk, and furthermore, no justifiable reason to prohibit two consensual adults to get married, gay, straight or otherwise. Our legislators are being ridiculous on this point.

I am very involved in these efforts. Some of my best friends work for groups who at the forefront of this particular battle. I have friends who have been arrested in the past few weeks. I have attended all of the hearings. It is hard for me to show restraint with this particular issue, but let's just say our government leaders are wasting a lot of time and money sticking their heads in the sand.

Old 02-27-2014, 10:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
More germane to the point of this thread, unfortunately I don't think there is much that can be done, as you're talking about people with deeply imbued religious beliefs. It literally is an affront to them and their ethos to ask them to consider the possibility of gay marriage, and it doesn't help that media plays up the "attack on religion" angle.

There were a dozen or so members of local churches who came down to the Statehouse to speak against the "religious freedom amendment" bill. They were eloquent and passionate and rational. So the possibility is there. The problem is, those same traits are not found in many of our legislators, their constituents, or the superpacs who are spearheading these bills (cough, ALEC, cough).

It needs to become personal for them. Otherwise, the only hope is when the courts finally move this nation into the 21st century.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
More germane to the point of this thread, unfortunately I don't think there is much that can be done, as you're talking about people with deeply imbued religious beliefs. It literally is an affront to them and their ethos to ask them to consider the possibility of gay marriage, and it doesn't help that media plays up the "attack on religion" angle.

There were a dozen or so members of local churches who came down to the Statehouse to speak against the "religious freedom amendment" bill. They were eloquent and passionate and rational. So the possibility is there. The problem is, those same traits are not found in many of our legislators, their constituents, or the superpacs who are spearheading these bills (cough, ALEC, cough).

It needs to become personal for them. Otherwise, the only hope is when the courts finally move this nation into the 21st century.
Boise88,

I'm glad you posted. I know Sage has given us a little room to raise issues here instead of moving everything to politics etc. sections where I don't think many follow.

I will simply say I believe regular people not holding offices have better solutions than those in office who "owe debts" to powerful people. I'm tired of everyone losing because we can't come up with better approaches to go forward.

I truly wonder if many in the state understand what equal protection means? That is one thing we could do here is explain the different parts of equal protection and what cities have voted for what to this point. I don't think any County has passed equal protection issues. Or should it be a State issue so towns of <5,000 don't have to enact the equal protections? I don't know...just more of the factors to consider.

If you are right that our law makers won't listen, what is to stop people in the state from educating each other and contacting their state reps and senators? More importantly in my mind, what is stopping us from having local meetings to learn and understand better? It may not be everything that is needed but it's a place to start so more are educated next week compared to this week.

I don't mean to sound as if I doubt your involvement to date....I trust what you say and I apologize if I sounded skeptical of what you've seen first hand. I'm simply disappointed dialogue hasn't been ongoing..

I want to work on some solutions and resources we can be proud to add to the ID Forum. Almost always others have better ideas than I which is why I ask for them.

I do know there are people suffering in silence throughout the state and suicides by those not knowing where to get help. I'd like to think as an ongoing thread we might share ideas.

It's not like ID doesn't have a LGBT population. It will never be the same percentage as South Beach or other large metro areas. Anyone thinking of moving to ID to "avoid LGBT residents" will find the above and often family members too. Idaho offers a lot for many different people.

Thanks again for your posts. This is such a hot button issue and well thought out posts of how we progress are appreciated. This little thread, typo and all, is being watched from other states too. I know - I had DMs Folks from other states are watching us to see if we can do anything different so laws aren't made from The Bench.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-28-2014 at 12:19 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho