Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:44 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,341,507 times

Advertisements

Yup. Most midsummer evenings can get cool enough to require a light jacket all over the state. Warm days, cool nights. That's what make Idaho potatoes taste so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:19 PM

87 posts, read 115,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit-kat-55 View Post
hey all, jut how cold is it?? we are thinking about moving to Sandpoint. we ski in winter. but, I hate cold. I want Florida. but, the hubby is voting ID.

we thought about living cheap enough that we could get away when we want. as in build a small cheap house, pay cash. travel to warmness when we need to.

we actually took a map of the USA and looked up where there is a Costco and skiing! and I love lakes.

thanks, kat
How cold is it?? Well, climb inside your freezer for about....6 months.....That's Winter / Then live in your refrigerator for about 3 months.....that's spring and fall / Then enjoy the best 3 months the planet has to offer. Be ready for 20 below and a lot of 32 degree cloudy days and you'll have a great time. So glad it's part of my life. But when I remember 52 below wind chills in town and 70 below wind on the prairie, well...think I'll stay in the tropics and try to visit as often as possible

Old 04-14-2014, 03:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit-kat-55 View Post
hey all, jut how cold is it?? we are thinking about moving to Sandpoint. we ski in winter. but, I hate cold. I want Florida. but, the hubby is voting ID.

we thought about living cheap enough that we could get away when we want. as in build a small cheap house, pay cash. travel to warmness when we need to.

we actually took a map of the USA and looked up where there is a Costco and skiing! and I love lakes.

thanks, kat
See, that's the thing about Coeur d'Alene, Sandpoint and all of North Idaho for that matter...It's not cheap. Yeah, it's "cheap" if you retire there with lots and lots of money, but it's not "cheap" if you have to rely on Idaho wages while the cost of living and real estate prices go through the roof.

In Northern Idaho, the best you can do is hope for a decent-paying government job (which usually are limited and only go to people who are "connected") or drive across the state line to work for slightly higher Washington state wages in government jobs there that also require a "connection". If you must rely on the private sector for employment, you're pretty much screwed. Lots of young people from North Idaho that don't have special connections light out for greener pastures. Such is the Nature of that Big Beautiful Beast!

Sorry for my rant about Idaho being "cheap"...

As for retirement for yourself, it's got lots of lakes and rivers, lots of forests and prairies but I'm not sure about the health care/medical scene anymore... I'm sure it's pretty good with Spokane being so close. And, yes, you've got a Costco there in the northern section of Coeur d'Alene, so there's that. Good luck to you in whatever you decide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho