Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 02:25 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times

Advertisements

I think the problem we're dealing with is that the media still perpetuates the stereotype.

Even in ESPN sportscaster Stephen A. Smith's excellently articulated rant about the Mark Cuban "incident" recently he referred to "Mississippi or Idaho" in the same stereotyped way. I was disappointed to see that.

Bottom line is...the media has done a pretty good job selling ad space by perpetuating a 20 year old tale...when in fact the most racism I've ever seen was when working the ghetto areas of Los Angeles County as a cop. AND...black-white racism isn't nearly as big a problem as black-vs-brown and black-vs-asian in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 07:47 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
I think the problem we're dealing with is that the media still perpetuates the stereotype.

Even in ESPN sportscaster Stephen A. Smith's excellently articulated rant about the Mark Cuban "incident" recently he referred to "Mississippi or Idaho" in the same stereotyped way. I was disappointed to see that.

Bottom line is...the media has done a pretty good job selling ad space by perpetuating a 20 year old tale...when in fact the most racism I've ever seen was when working the ghetto areas of Los Angeles County as a cop. AND...black-white racism isn't nearly as big a problem as black-vs-brown and black-vs-asian in those areas.
Yes. Exactly.
It's always easy for the media to sell fear and alarm than anything else. It is even easier to stereotype.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:58 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
I lived in the C'da area for 14 years and now live on the East side of the country. I was talking to someone recently and told them where I used to live. Their first comment: "Isn't that where all the skinhead racists are?" This is someone who has never been to the Pacific Northwest before and certainly not Idaho.

I despise that this rumor is still alive and well and is what people picture when they think of the beautiful state of Idaho. This idea needs to burn to the ground like the compound did.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:01 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post
I lived in the C'da area for 14 years and now live on the East side of the country. I was talking to someone recently and told them where I used to live. Their first comment: "Isn't that where all the skinhead racists are?" This is someone who has never been to the Pacific Northwest before and certainly not Idaho.

I despise that this rumor is still alive and well and is what people picture when they think of the beautiful state of Idaho. This idea needs to burn to the ground like the compound did.
Look at the bright side, the rumor keeps some of the undesirables out. No, I don't mean racial minorities...I mean ignorant white liberals. People that will belief an ignorant sterotype based on what they see on a mindless TV show.

The informed liberals that actually understand the area and people are welcome. This isn't some liberal college town where different opinions are supressed.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:08 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,895,438 times
Here is an interesting article from the Blue Review.

https://thebluereview.org/most-say-aryan-nations/

Quote:
THE POST-BUTLER ERA

Now, four decades after Butler moved to Idaho, it seems fair to say his noxious, racist religious beliefs and the people they attracted—beyond his mere residence in the state—left a mark on Idaho and the region that’s only now starting to fade. Shining even brighter is the work of Kootenai County volunteers who stood up to Butler and hatred, and garnered recognition for a human rights organization that’s now a national model.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:20 AM

291 posts, read 438,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Look at the bright side, the rumor keeps some of the undesirables out. No, I don't mean racial minorities...I mean ignorant white liberals. People that will belief an ignorant sterotype based on what they see on a mindless TV show.
I was thinking along the same lines. If people want to believe erroneous stereotypes about an area or group of people without researching it themselves, those are the people you likely wouldn't want as neighbors anyway.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:23 AM

6 posts, read 14,027 times
Haven't read all the threads... most Idahoans are good people although it's a bit (OK, very) conservative here. Not quite sure what your comment "she is NOT Tongan" is about. I think Tongans would be welcomed here, too... Google the Human Rights Education Institute in Coeur d'Alene to get a little history about this area. At the height of the national frenzy over the Aryan Nations it didn't amount to more than a couple of large handfuls of ignorant loudmouths who were able to sway the press. Welcome.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:19 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdarocks View Post

My son lives in Calgary Alberta. We drove up to northern Idaho last October and met him in Bonners Ferry to spend a few days together. Chris has been shaving his head ever since he was on the football team at his high school in Tennessee.

When he crossed the border he was asked by the guard at the crossing if he was a skinhead. Nope - just going to Bonners Ferry to visit my mom. They checked his ID pretty thoroughly and then checked his trunk before sending him on his way.

Old 06-15-2014, 04:35 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,161,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
My son lives in Calgary Alberta. We drove up to northern Idaho last October and met him in Bonners Ferry to spend a few days together. Chris has been shaving his head ever since he was on the football team at his high school in Tennessee.

When he crossed the border he was asked by the guard at the crossing if he was a skinhead. Nope - just going to Bonners Ferry to visit my mom. They checked his ID pretty thoroughly and then checked his trunk before sending him on his way.
My husband shaves his head. It's nothing whatsoever to do with a belief of any sort - it's just a style thing and he wears it well. Whenever we crossed the border in Bonner's Ferry we got the same questions as your son, and thorough searches of our vehicles. It took an especially long time when we had an RV.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:59 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conshelf View Post
My wife and I are looking for a placed to retire, and we are considering Idaho. She is a Pacific Islander, and I am wonder how will she be accepted. She is fully Americanized and a great person, not a freeloader. She is NOT Tongan.

Do the skinheads still hold sway, and where might be better areas and/or areas to avoid.

Thanks in advance.
You can get a carry n conceal permit easily in Idaho.
I wouldn't worry too much as it is gun country and open space back to nature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho