Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,371,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Never heard this term before...what does it involve?
From what I understand, it's when you go to your lender and make a deal that you'll sell your house and it will close at less than what you owe on it. The lender takes it in the chin, although they make out better than if you simply walk away and let it get foreclosed on. You have to have a buyer, though.

However, the lender can take legal action if any of the initial paperwork was falsified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Is there anywhere in ID that I can get an old craftsman house for under $100,000. I like nice riverfronts, bike paths, and cutesy, artsy, and notalgic downtowns......Is there anywhere in ID like this?

Sounds like you're looking for Wallace. It's in N. Idaho, property is cheap, but there aren't any jobs. It's an old mining town, top industry is tourism and commuting to the Dodge dealer in Kellogg.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:18 PM

1,639 posts, read 4,706,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Is there anywhere in ID that I can get an old craftsman house for under $100,000. I like nice riverfronts, bike paths, and cutesy, artsy, and notalgic downtowns......Is there anywhere in ID like this?
You might want to check out 1994, but I heard it's hard to get there if you don't have a Delorean

Old 02-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
You might want to check out 1994, but I heard it's hard to get there if you don't have a Delorean
Ha! Indeed.

I actually have an extra flex capacitor laying around, you'll just need the DeLorean and some plutonium.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:10 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
I am not in the biz, so I may not be terribly precise...

1) short sale: owner owes more on house than house is worth. Tries to get lender to agree to take pennies on the dollar. If the sale gets say 80cents/dollar then owner and lender are bruised, but free.

2) foreclosure. House is in process of being handed over to the bank. Owner now on record for foreclosure. Banksworrying our having to have property on books.

3) REO. House now on bank's books.

In a time like this, when there are so many properties underwater, the risk to the lender of thousands of homes going on their books is pretty scary. Many are willing to go the short sale route--virtually impossble to see three years ago. Then, banks would foreclose and auction off to a booming market.

On Short sale, the negotiation ultimate becomes between the lender (or holder of the note if different) and the buyer. The seller really plays little to no role other than at the beginning when they ask the lender to allow the short sale.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:27 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
There are houses in many SE Idaho town for less than 100k, even in Pocatello and particularly the farther you get away from the cities. You could look at Montpelier or Soda Springs, Mcammon, Downey, Blackfoot, Burley. You don't have any requirements on size of house, amount of land, or size of town. I'm not familiar with the term Craftsman house, is that like a fixer upper?

Most are over 100k, but there are a few out there, but probably not with the things you describe, and certainly not on a riverfront.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinprism View Post
There are houses in many SE Idaho town for less than 100k, even in Pocatello and particularly the farther you get away from the cities. You could look at Montpelier or Soda Springs, Mcammon, Downey, Blackfoot, Burley. You don't have any requirements on size of house, amount of land, or size of town. I'm not familiar with the term Craftsman house, is that like a fixer upper?

Most are over 100k, but there are a few out there, but probably not with the things you describe, and certainly not on a riverfront.
Craftsman homes are from the early 1900's. They mainly used parts of the structure as design elements, and focused on creating the illusion of width versus the imposing height of Victorian era homes. THe structural elements lent to the use of darker colors, both on the interior and exterior, to create a more "masculine" feel to the house. Many saw Craftsman design (part of the greater arts and crafts movement) as an antithesis to the gaudy, dolled up Queen Anne and Italianate structures of the late 19th and early 20th century.

More popular names in the movement were Green and Green, who designed the Gamble House in Pasadena. Granted, this house is large and likely not what the thread starter is looking for, but you can see some of the design features at gamblehouse.org

And speaking of going back in time in a Delorean, the Gamble House is actually Dr. Emmet Brown's residence in the movie. The scene where Marty and Doc are in the garage when Marty's mother showed up in 1955 were shot in the garage, which is now the gift shop.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
In the larger NID towns, there are very few craftsman homes that have stood up well without extensive remodeling. When I think of craftsman homes, I think of those (like the one of Oak in Sandpoint listing for $289K or a recent one on 1st/2nd in CDA that sold for around $315K). There are also a few new craftsman homes, but these run north of $350K and closer to $400K-$500K.

Old 02-22-2008, 05:22 PM

210 posts, read 946,700 times
Dangerous Dave,

Thanks for the explanation, I should have googled it.

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about, there are not many of those in SE Idaho, as many of the houses were built after that period. There are some small bungalow style craftman houses particularly on the older, west side of Pocatello, probably in the 100k range, but they are typically not on much land and close to neighbors, but maybe I'm crazy. I'll ask my realtor friend. Or it may be worth a call to a local Realtor if you are interested. You may check out Preston and Montpelier, as that part of the state was settled a little earlier than the rest.

Thanks for the education, I'll keep my eye out for those features, I like that styling.
I found this page informative reading about them.
Arts and Crafts - Craftsman - House Style Picture Dictionary

Old 02-23-2008, 06:45 PM

59 posts, read 232,761 times
I'm also getting ready to move to that area and am looking for a place to buy. What are the jobs paying there for shipping clerks or customer service reps? I've seen a few places around the 150,000 mark that are decent, but even if you have large down payment, and the jobs don't pay much then the payments would be out of range...
Still yet good luck to you it looks like the place I'll spend my golden years
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho