Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 09:58 AM

14 posts, read 47,285 times

Advertisements

I have noticed quite a few times that US 95 is referred to as I 95. I 95 is on the east coast not in Idaho. This confusion between highway titles could cause some folks a bit of confusion. Most likely I am just being anal about the subject, but that is my right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 12:28 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,809,572 times
I don't see folks calling it I-95. But maybe I just mentally ignore it. We all call it Hwy 95 here...

Old 06-19-2014, 09:41 PM

584 posts, read 574,722 times
I think someone would have to be really, really, super confused if they're trying to travel I-95 and manage to end up on US 95 in Idaho, no?

Old 06-20-2014, 02:41 AM

7,354 posts, read 12,590,395 times
Yep. I think it's a matter of a few posts by visitors, one being from 2010, and the OP commented on that already. I can't even imagine how many geography factoids I've gotten wrong myself, posting questions on different boards....

Old 06-20-2014, 11:45 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,623,747 times
I have also heard Idaho Highway 20 called I-20. No! Highway 20 still carries the US Highway insignia, but it is not an interstate as it doesn't meet the Interstate standards hardly anywhere along its route, with the exception of some areas to the the NE of Idaho Falls. The proper designation should be either US Hwy 20, or simply Highway 20.

I believe the mistake most make is if it looks like a freeway, it must be an "interstate". That is incorrect. Many U.S. or State Highways may have been upgraded to look like Interstates, but until they are designated as such, they are still "highways". Or to be more poltically correct, Interstates must connect between states, though highways connected through states do not automatically become "interstates". The important thing to remember is that Interstates have strict standards, and these are important when it comes to determining speed limits and other regulations.

Last edited by pw72; 06-20-2014 at 11:53 PM..

Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,390,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I have also heard Idaho Highway 20 called I-20. No! Highway 20 still carries the US Highway insignia, but it is not an interstate as it doesn't meet the Interstate standards hardly anywhere along its route, with the exception of some areas to the the NE of Idaho Falls. The proper designation should be either US Hwy 20, or simply Highway 20.

I believe the mistake most make is if it looks like a freeway, it must be an "interstate". That is incorrect. Many U.S. or State Highways may have been upgraded to look like Interstates, but until they are designated as such, they are still "highways". Or to be more poltically correct, Interstates must connect between states, though highways connected through states do not automatically become "interstates". The important thing to remember is that Interstates have strict standards, and these are important when it comes to determining speed limits and other regulations.
Speaking of speed limits, are the 80 mph posted yet? pw72, you seemed to have a good sense of which stretches of Interstates or Highways ( if I understood the above discussion correctly) would be appropriate for the 80 mph. Have you seen signs yet?

Colbert's team picked one of the correct states to follow. Nice that WY passed the law too

msr

Old 06-22-2014, 09:44 PM

No I believe there is a delay by the Idaho Transportation Department to do a study. (Hmm...a nice long costly study...). I assume they are doing their due diligence.

Old 06-24-2014, 06:05 PM

News story on Local News 8 just tonight, the new 80 MPH limits will go into effect July 1st. Will be interesting to see where these will take place. My prediction is I-84 from the Oregon border to Caldwell, just south of Boise to Jerome, then again at the 84/86 split east of Burley. On I-15, from the south, Utah border to Inkom, then north of Idaho Falls to the Montana border.

BTW, the difference between the Oregon border and Idaho will be dramatic, as Oregon still enforces a 65 limit statewide, the lowest in the West. So Ontario across the Snake bridge will be 15 MPH higher on I-84. Westbound, great for the OR State Police, who will be able to write tickets left and right for those going into Oregon. Going 80 to 65 is a major brick and many will simply ignore it, IMO. In this situation, it really isn't about safety, but revenue, as road conditions are similar, if not better in Eastern Oregon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_l..._United_States

Last edited by pw72; 06-24-2014 at 06:24 PM..

Old 06-25-2014, 02:24 AM

7,354 posts, read 12,590,395 times
Imagine the forest of new prohibition signs welcoming you to Oregon on 84! Speed limits! Violation! Fines! "Do not under any circumstances engage in the following behavior, etc, etc"... You won't be able to see the scenery for signs. Oh wait, you can't see the scenery for signs when entering into Oregon, anyway...

Old 06-25-2014, 07:53 PM

Apparently the law does not go into effect until the signs are up. So just keep that in mind, ID drivers. UT drivers, just keep doing what you do, as in ignoring the signs as usual.

I have yet to see stats that show an 80 limit increases fatalities on Interstates. However, the stats are relatively new, and could change.

As to if this will increase the average speed, many say no. Other states that have increased their interstate speed limits show that most don't appreciably increase their speed. I would offer that a higher limit might actually bring drivers closer together with similar speeds.

As always, focused drivers who are aware of hazards and know when to slow down or move left, will come out ahead. Those who check their phones every 10 minutes shouldn't be on the road to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho