Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 03:00 PM

274 posts, read 471,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I wasn't so lucky in selling my former home in Montana. The winters there are just as dead for real estate, and my house there was very similar to a ton of others in the same price bracket. I wasn't able to get it sold until early June the following year, and I lost some money on the deal just to get out from under it.
The price you pay to go where you want to go. I think you made the right choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 11:36 AM

44 posts, read 119,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverdance View Post
Unfortunately, as long as conservative politics dominate Idaho (I don't see that changing anytime soon), there will be a constant drain of young people to Oregon and Washington--states that don't have the anti-youth, anti-social progress, pro-gun, pro-business-to-the-point-of-insanity mentality.

The Idaho minimum wage, in stark contrast to that of OR and WA, creates an employment climate that is unattractive compared to the alternatives to the west. The almost hilarious aspect of all this is that Republican leaders think they are PROTECTING Idaho's economy by fighting increases in the minimum wage--what they are actually doing is destroying it. It's not even the same as someplace like Nebraska or Mississippi, where there's no next-door state with reasonable wages to run to.

Will the last person leaving Idaho please turn out the lights?
I moved here BECAUSE Idaho is pro-gun, pro-business, relatively low tax (but not as low as you'd think) and doesn't spend gajillions of dollars on "social programs" (ie welfare). I'm in my 30s, make well into 6 figures. Who do you think benefits Idaho more? Me, or a "youth" working a minimum wage job who needs to rely on social services to survive?

I say good riddance to the "youths" who move to Oregon or Washington to make an extra $2/hr. You can have them WA and OR.

By the way compare unemployment rates in ID vs OR VS WA. Idaho is 5.0%, Oregon is 6.9%, Washington is 6.1%. Hmmm...what do you know, higher minimum wage = fewer jobs. Crazy, huh? Here's some fun stuff about Oregon:

"Last year one in 40 Oregonians were on TANF. The state has one of the highest TANF coverage rates in the country, the direct result of a policy decision to expand access by adding state funding while cutting related support services. The number of single-parent families covered by TANF almost doubled from 2007 to 2013, while the number of two-parent families increased fivefold. Although DHS expects the number of families on TANF to steadily decline in future years, its forecast for 2017 still estimates that more families will be on TANF than at the start of the recession in 2007."

This is what passes a thriving economy? Yeah good luck with that.

And the minimum wage in Idaho is the exact same as in Mississippi and Nebraska. It's $7.25 in all 3 states, which if the federal minimum wage. It's also the same value in about 30 other states. You really have no idea what you're talking about. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by ediddy; 07-24-2014 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 11:44 AM

29 posts, read 64,024 times
Ediddy I agree with you.

I am 29 and doing well for myself and my family. I started as a "youth" making minimum wage (somewhere around 6.75 at the time). Funny thing is, I was promoted up, gained skills from various jobs and real life learning, and rose above poverty. I was never given a dime of help from the government.

Kennedy said, "ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country."
Since when did that profound statement become false? Kids who don't want to work their way up can move to a state where sucking on the government you know what is easy. I live in one of those states Why do you think I'm leaving?

Old 07-24-2014, 12:49 PM

88 posts, read 153,933 times
"Last year one in 40 Oregonians were on TANF. The state has one of the highest TANF coverage rates in the country, the direct result of a policy decision to expand access by adding state funding while cutting related support services. The number of single-parent families covered by TANF almost doubled from 2007 to 2013, while the number of two-parent families increased fivefold. Although DHS expects the number of families on TANF to steadily decline in future years, its forecast for 2017 still estimates that more families will be on TANF than at the start of the recession in 2007."

Sounds like a progressive paradise.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:07 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Let's get back to talking about "Interested in Moving to Coeur d'Alene"...

Old 07-25-2014, 10:50 AM

My wife and I were able to get a big info packed from the CDA chamber of commerce mailed to us. We only had a little bit of time to read it before we left for a business trip to Las Vegas. However, I noticed there is some sort of themepark nearby? And also an indoor water park?

Old 07-25-2014, 01:36 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Silverwood is the largest theme/amusement park in the Pacific Northwest. And it's VERY clean and nice...50% amusement park, 50% outdoor water park (obviously only for summertime traffic). The theme park also opens weekends to hold "Scarywood" leading up to Halloween.

Triple Play is an indoor water park (much smaller but still a very neat place), with outdoor "fun-zone" stuff (go-carts, etc).

We LOVE Silverwood. We look forward to it opening every summer. Since our kids are older and we have no need for an indoor water park we haven't been to Triple Play.

Old 07-25-2014, 02:02 PM

Awesome!

Next question:

What do locals do during the winter for entertainment? This would be our first time living somewhere with "4 seasons" so my familiarity is limited

Old 07-25-2014, 02:57 PM

19 posts, read 27,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbwalker View Post
Awesome!

Next question:

What do locals do during the winter for entertainment? This would be our first time living somewhere with "4 seasons" so my familiarity is limited
Lots of people look forward to skiing, snowboarding, tubing/sledding, show shoeing, cross country skiing, winter camping and hot springing!

Old 07-25-2014, 06:11 PM

291 posts, read 438,217 times
ATVing before the snow is too deep and snowmobiling after.

Might be some hunting and ice fishing on some of the lakes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho