Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:19 PM

297 posts, read 1,034,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear3ful View Post
The OP has to be trolling, there's just no way this is real. Sorry, I'm not buying that CDA is this progressive, diversity paradise. Idaho for the most part is White and Conservative, and it's best this way.
Sorry I'm no troll, I've been posting on CD for over six years now. These were my observations based on my visit to one Idaho city, Coeur D'Alene. Obviously the local residents on this forum validate my observations. I came to CDL with an open mind which you seen to lack based on your statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 01:32 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DagnyT63 View Post
Yikes, I hope that was a typo somehow. If not I have to say "speaking of trolls...."

Really? I thought that was sacrilegious to adorn the Subaru with a right-sided sticker! Maybe my husband will let me have a Subaru eventually if we move up there.....
Subies may be a preppy car in other places, but not here. The northwest has always been Subaru country from the first time the cars were imported into the US, and are still huge favorites, simply because they are reliable, cheap to run, and will handle every kind of weather Idaho can throw at them.

They're just as popular in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Washington, Oregon, and upper Nevada as they are in Idaho. The northwest kept the company from going under in the US several times when the car's popularity waned in other states.

The funniest thing I ever heard was some yuppie transplants to Bozeman complaining on a radio talk show how they couldn't find a cooler car that could do what a Subaru does. Everyone here either drives one or knows someone who does.

I knew a guy in Boze who was still driving a 30 year old Subie to work daily. The car was so old it was a rust bucket, and he used a 2 by 4 wired above the engine to keep the front fenders from caving in, and must have had well over 400,000 miles on it, but it still got him to work and back with no sweat.

The reason it's so popular?. It's the only car company that offers all-wheel drive in every model they make. Not everyone wants an AWD wagon or sports ute. Subaru makes sedans, hot rod rocket coupes, and basic get-arounds as well as luxury models and people movers. They're all durable, easy to get parts for, and don't get stuck in the first big snowstorm of winter. When the snow melts and the mud is a foot thick, a Subie will still get the kids to school and Mom to work on time, every day. Most of them can handle a rough gravel road as well as a pickup, and most models can hold a lot of junk in the back while having a lot of room up front for the driver and passengers.

Who knows? If the winters in the east continue to be as severe as they've been for the past few years, Subarus back there may become fashionable. Styling has never been the company's forte, but they're getting better looking as time goes on. I don't ever expect them to ever be radical or fashion-forward, though… they know their market very well in all it's segments.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 PM

138 posts, read 269,793 times
Oh, I understand why they're popular, I just like to joke about them. Truth is, the only thing I like about them over my big SUV is the gas mileage, but I enjoy my extra space more.

Old 08-15-2014, 02:44 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
This Subaru talk is amusing. There are a lot and I mean a lot of Sub's in Boise. Often when I am stuck at a red light, all of the cars around me are Subaru's I own a 2010 Outback and love it but down here in Boise and Sun Valley most Subaru's have Obama stickers, coexist stickers, LGBT rainbow stickers, equality stickers, I love Idaho stickers, Sun Valley and Tamarack stickers, The Wilderness State stickers, get rid of Butch stickers, blah blah blah. I don't side with either major political party so my Outback is devoid of any political stickers but I am not conservative either. I do have a few Idaho themed stickers on mine but I like owning a car that isn't plastered with stickers.

People who drive Subaru's in Boise are typically open minded, live and let live types. Foresters are very popular among our friendly lesbians. The new XV Crosstreks are popular in Boise for the younger outdoorsy trendy people and I am seeing a lot of the new Crosstreks and they look great. Sounds like the capitol city is different from up north in this respect because Boise kind of fits into the mold of what people consider typical Subaru owners, a small example; younger with tats, sometimes dreadlocks, pro pot, bikes and kayaks attached to said Sub, a love for the outdoors. I notice several Sub's with 9B plates here in the city that probably win the prize for the most "left sided - open minded" stickers on a Subaru.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM

138 posts, read 269,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
This Subaru talk is amusing. There are a lot and I mean a lot of Sub's in Boise. Often when I am stuck at a red light, all of the cars around me are Subaru's I own a 2010 Outback and love it but down here in Boise and Sun Valley most Subaru's have Obama stickers, coexist stickers, LGBT rainbow stickers, equality stickers, I love Idaho stickers, Sun Valley and Tamarack stickers, The Wilderness State stickers, get rid of Butch stickers, blah blah blah. I don't side with either major political party so my Outback is devoid of any political stickers but I am not conservative either. I do have a few Idaho themed stickers on mine but I like owning a car that isn't plastered with stickers.

People who drive Subaru's in Boise are typically open minded, live and let live types. Foresters are very popular among our friendly lesbians. The new XV Crosstreks are popular in Boise for the younger outdoorsy trendy people and I am seeing a lot of the new Crosstreks and they look great. Sounds like the capitol city is different from up north in this respect because Boise kind of fits into the mold of what people consider typical Subaru owners, a small example; younger with tats, sometimes dreadlocks, pro pot, bikes and kayaks attached to said Sub, a love for the outdoors. I notice several Sub's with 9B plates here in the city that probably win the prize for the most "left sided - open minded" stickers on a Subaru.
I'm glad I'm not the only person who has noticed how cars tend to resemble their owners. ;-) The stickers you describe are the standard issue decorations on the Subarus around here.

What are 9B plates?

Old 08-15-2014, 06:47 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only person who has noticed how cars tend to resemble their owners. ;-) The stickers you describe are the standard issue decorations on the Subarus around here.

What are 9B plates?
Boundary County.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:38 PM

39,860 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ediddy View Post
Dagny,

Every 2nd car on the road in N. Idaho seems to be a Subaru Outback. From that alone you'd think this place is an Idaho version of Berkeley or Ann Arbor. It's not. It's just that Outbacks are good cars for the 4-5 months of crappy snow/ice mix weather we have to deal with every year. It's not that unusual to see a "NRA VOTER" or "ABORTION IS MURDER" bumper sticker on one of these Outbacks.

Funny story-not about an Outback, but a Prius. The perennial hippie/liberal/tree hugger car. I see one on my way to work pretty regularly, covered with bumper stickers. Figured they would be Obama (or old Gore ones) and save the whales type ones. Nope-all anti-abortion ones.

Old 08-16-2014, 01:02 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
Quote:

What are 9B plates?
The first two digits of Idaho plates tell us the county where someone is registering the vehicle. Makes it handy to know where people are from around here...

1A Ada - Boise and surrounds
2A Adams - Council
1B Bannock - Pocatello
2B Bear Lake - Montpelier
3B Benewah - St. Maries
4B Bingham- Blackfoot
5B Blaine - Hailey
6B Boise - Just north of Boise
7B Bonner - Sandpoint
8B Bonneville - Idaho Falls
9B Boundary - Bonners Ferry
10B Butte - Arco
1C Camas - Fairfield
2C Canyon - Nampa/Caldwell
3C Caribou - Soda Springs
4C Cassia - Burley
5C Clark - Dubois
6C Clearwater - Orofino
7C Custer - Challis
E Elmore - Mountain Home
1F Franklin - Preston
2F Fremont - St. Anthony
1G Gem - Emmett
2G Gooding
I Idaho - Grangeville
1J Jefferson - Rigby
2J Jerome
K Kootenai - Coeur d'Alene
1L Latah - Moscow
2L Lemhi - Salmon
3L Lewis
4L Lincoln - Shoshone
1M Madison - Rexburg
2M Minidoka - Rupert
N Nez Perce - Lewiston area
1O Oneida - Malad City
2O Owyhee - Homedale
1P Payette
2P Power
S Shoshone - Wallace
1T Teton - Driggs
2T Twin Falls
V Valley - Cascade
W Washington - Weiser

Old 08-16-2014, 08:29 AM

291 posts, read 438,040 times
I've been working on memorizing that list, I see the occasional Idaho plate down here in COS, usually they are from Boise or the south east part of the state, which is probably good because if I see one from north Idaho I'll probably go up to them and beg for a job.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:11 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Of course 7B is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho