Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 11:19 AM

3 posts, read 6,110 times

Advertisements

I make the commute from Caldwell to Garden city every day. traffic moves fine until you close in on eagle road. East bound it's stop and go traffic on a 55mph road from eagle road all the way back to linder. West bound its backed up from Eagle road all the way to 5mile. Idaho's issue is they don't forsee any future growth. they build roads to account for the needs of now and not in the future. it doesn't take a scientist to have some rough estimate of traffic flows in the future. my confusion is why Idaho decided to reduce down to one lane at one of the busiest intersection in Boise? in my opinion if it is 55mph and heavily trafficked, we need to have it 2 lanes both ways and less traffic lights intersecting the highway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 11:57 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
I think the problem is that we have grown so much so fast that they can't keep up. It takes years to get the planning done, the property acquired and the money for the project to widen roads. And there is ALWAYS road construction going on where something is getting widened. So I don't think it is that they are ignoring the problem, just that they can't keep up with the growth.

They do need to be at LEAST 2 lanes in each direction, but I disagree that we need fewer lights. The lights are needed. All those cross streets have a lot of traffic, too, and if there weren't lights, all the cross streets would be a mess. Instead, they should lower the speed limit on Chinden and on Eagle to something less than 55. Most highways have reduced speed limits as they go through cities or towns.

They are widening the last portion of Ustick right now to make it 2 lanes in each direction clear from Eagle to Cole, which will help divert some traffic off Chinden for that stretch. But in the meantime, the construction there is making the traffic worse on Chinden, from the people avoiding the construction. It should ease some when that work is done.

Also, I assume you are referring to the intersection of Eagle and Chinden when you say "one of the busiest intersections in Boise". The problem is, until about 8 years ago, it wasn't that busy. The busiest part of the city was Cole/Fairview. All the unprecedented and unexpected growth in Meridian in 2005-2006 shifted the traffic flows in the valley substantially, and the construction hasn't caught up yet.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,110 times
I agree. it will be interesting how much traffic reduces once the freeway is all cleared up too. the flying wye has always been a mess too.

Old 08-29-2014, 01:21 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,661,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkaccountant View Post
I make the commute from Caldwell to Garden city every day. traffic moves fine until you close in on eagle road. East bound it's stop and go traffic on a 55mph road from eagle road all the way back to linder. West bound its backed up from Eagle road all the way to 5mile. Idaho's issue is they don't forsee any future growth. they build roads to account for the needs of now and not in the future. it doesn't take a scientist to have some rough estimate of traffic flows in the future. my confusion is why Idaho decided to reduce down to one lane at one of the busiest intersection in Boise? in my opinion if it is 55mph and heavily trafficked, we need to have it 2 lanes both ways and less traffic lights intersecting the highway
Whenever we cross into Idaho and are welcomed by Idaho roads, we breathe a sigh of relief--but that's because we're comparing them to the clogged highways of SoCal, and the busy rural interstates. Local bad planning is an irritant everywhere.

10 years ago when we started vacationing in North Idaho all the gravel roads would drive us to despair, because we thought our car would just give up the ghost when driving on dirt . Well, it didn't! CRVs are good cars! So gravel roads don't scare us anymore. What does drive us nuts is the endless roadwork in the summer, when two lanes go down to one lane. We've learned to dread the orange "Road Work Ahead" signs! Then there'll be a reduced speed sign, then the flag guard, and you risk getting stuck behind (I counted them once) 132 cars waiting in line for the go-ahead, going out of Sandpoint on 200. But at what other time of year can the work be done? So we try to be patient and retain our sense of humor. But it's tough if you have an appointment, or need to go to the bathroom...

Old 08-29-2014, 07:37 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Rocks thrown up by trucks cracking my windshield.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,660,903 times
Statewide, the new 80 MPH limit has created a new problem. Trucks moving into the left lane to pass another truck usually at about 2-3 MPH faster.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the trucking industry. They provide a very valuable service, and most are law-abiding drivers who are just following the rules.

However, when a truck moves into the left lane of an Interstate, the backups create three problems. First, every auto behind this will need to turn off their cruise control. No big deal, as it isn't exactly a major imposition. Second, this can cause accidents if auto drivers are not paying attention. Third, this frustration can cause drivers to become more aggressive and speed excessively to make up for the lost time.

Solution: There isn't a good one. In some big states, trucks are restricted to the right lanes only. But in Idaho this is simply not realistic, because 95% of our Interstates are 2+2, or two lanes each direction. Perhaps we increase the truck speed limit to keep them in pace with the 80 MPH speed for autos. The devils advocate would say that isn't safe.

Anyone have a better idea?

Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Statewide, the new 80 MPH limit has created a new problem. Trucks moving into the left lane to pass another truck usually at about 2-3 MPH faster.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love the trucking industry. They provide a very valuable service, and most are law-abiding drivers who are just following the rules.

However, when a truck moves into the left lane of an Interstate, the backups create three problems. First, every auto behind this will need to turn off their cruise control. No big deal, as it isn't exactly a major imposition. Second, this can cause accidents if auto drivers are not paying attention. Third, this frustration can cause drivers to become more aggressive and speed excessively to make up for the lost time.

Solution: There isn't a good one. In some big states, trucks are restricted to the right lanes only. But in Idaho this is simply not realistic, because 95% of our Interstates are 2+2, or two lanes each direction. Perhaps we increase the truck speed limit to keep them in pace with the 80 MPH speed for autos. The devils advocate would say that isn't safe.

I don't know that this is a solution but I left you a post about this, pw72, in I.F. Radio. Sage is probably happier I answered that way.

I do have questions because I thought trucks were suppose to be 75 not 80.

1. So you are saying that trucks are driving 80 as well as cars? I just want to make sure I'm understanding correctly.
2. Do you remember if trucks have a different speed limit on I-15 somewhere in UT? I know prior to the new speed limit the Truck Speed Limit prior to the Malad Summit (maybe 10 -20 miles) was 5 mph slower.
From what you report, even if trucks were limited to 75, is that enough of a difference than regular traffic? It sounds like the 2-3 mph more they are using to pass isn't enough.

3. Is it safer to have trucks going faster than usual traffic?
4. How heavily is ISP patrolling and citing trucks?

I'll BRB after I search a couple of things.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 08-29-2014 at 11:20 PM..

Old 08-30-2014, 02:08 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post

I can't see this as a new problem. There are quite a few states that limit trucks to a speed about 10 mph lower than cars/pickup trucks, and this scenario occurs in these states.
Yes, you have to on occasion slow down in the left lane while the truck passes a slower truck (or usually a large RV or small pickup pulling a large trailer), but after they move over, every one speeds up and progresses on their way.

This happens all the time in UT on I70 at 75 mph, and on I15 at 80 mph down near Cedar City and I have never encountered any super frustrated drivers.

So, not sure why 5 mph in ID would cause such a problem.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:25 PM

212 posts, read 308,722 times
Just when I get almost all of the rocks picked out of my tires, for one reason or another, I find myself going down a dirt/gravel road. It's a losing battle

Old 08-31-2014, 02:45 PM

291 posts, read 438,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Two ideas and two questions.

2. In your post you indicate truckers should go faster than regular traffic. Will you please explain why truckers should go faster vs. Slower than other traffic. I'm missing something of how trucks at 90 are safer.
What I got from what pw72 stated is that the trucks are only going 2 to 3 miles per hour faster than the truck they are passing, which is typically going slower than regular passenger cars and trucks.

So, when the semi's go to pass at the slower rate than the cars and pickups, they hold up both lanes of traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho