U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 05:00 PM

2 posts, read 8,743 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, We will be relocating to Pocatello in mid January from Connecticut...Too many people, too high crime rate, way too expensive to live, etc....I am wondering what the weather is like. We get a lot of snow that seems to last forever here. Also are the plows actually out during the storm? Where we live they wait until the storm is done before they start to plow. How is crime? Jobs? I am in retail and my fiance is in the parks/forestry service. How are jobs for these two areas? We visited Poky this past May and liked what we saw but how much can you really take in in only a week. I would greatly appreciate any and all info anyone can give me. Thank you
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:37 AM

634 posts, read 2,163,760 times
I posted a similar thread about a week ago, but have gotten only one response, perhaps because it's the holiday season.

There is a thread by Indigo Moose (about 6 days ago?) and they got 8 responses. You might want to look at some of their info.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 AM

4,755 posts, read 16,572,695 times
I'm about an hour north of Pocatello so I'm not comfortable in answeriing these questions directly.

I can tell you if you're looking for a smaller town feel than a large city, you will find that. I do know that the unemployment rate is extremely low so finding a job might not be difficult, however with regards to the parks/forestry I'm unsure what's available.

Our region is getting it's first "real" winter than it's shown in about 15 years. Pocatello last I heard didn't get as much snow as we did, however the entire area has a blizzard warning for today. The plows seem to be a much better job down that way than up here. I've had several clients say the roads don't even get bad until they hit Bonnevile County

Old 01-02-2008, 11:29 AM

210 posts, read 880,996 times
Weather in Pocatello . On average we get more snow in the winter than idaho Falls. Pocatello tends to be about 5 degrees warmer than I.F. in the winter. Those 5 degrees many times spans the freezing point and seems to result in less snow accumulation in Pocatello, even thought we typically get more snow in a year. Just an observation. We don't often have snow on the roads for long, but we can get storms with bad weather and roads. All in all I don't think the weather is too bad, but we haven't had a "real" winter for several years.

There are many jobs in retail, but you will undoubtedly find that pay is lower than what you are used to in the CT. Thank goodness cost of living is lower too. Parks/forestry jobs are harder to come by because there is low turnover in those jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
View detailed profiles of: