Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 04:58 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen6 View Post
I read the drive is about 7 hours from Boise to CDA. I am interested to know too.
Google maps show the drive right at seven hours. Depending on the route, between 378 miles and 458 miles. You can probably add gas/potty stops on top of that. And of course, current weather conditions will affect the time it takes you.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=B...mra=ls&t=m&z=7
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 05:12 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeen6 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies. We will visit both for sure! Is one better for schools or activities for kids? What about the job market? Are the crowds awful in Boise? Do you think one is better for raising a family? Alaska is not the same Alaska my husband and I grew up in. The crime has gotten out of hand and the schools have really gone downhill. Is Meridian pretty nice? It keeps coming up when I search for family friendly places in Idaho.
Boise has more jobs because it's bigger, and if you lose your job you have more options to find a new job because...its bigger. That's one of the advantages of living in a more populated area. Schools would probably be pretty comparable and both would be great areas to raise a family. The crowds aren't bad in Boise but they are what you'd expect in a metro area with over half a million people in it. You might initially be more inclined to like CDL because it's greener and wetter, which will probably feel more familiar to you. What type of work would you be looking for?

Meridian is nice if it's what you're looking for - it's a middle to upper-middle class suburb of Boise, now clocking in with a population over 80,000. It's more car friendly than walkable and most of the housing is newer. It has very little crime. It is starting to move beyond being just a suburb cause there's not much you would need to travel into Boise to get that isn't available in Meridian now.

You really need to plan a trip. It does take around 7 hours to drive from one to the other, for 45 minutes to fly from Boise to Spokane.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:25 PM

6 posts, read 17,985 times
Thank you! That makes good sense. I am a nurse and my husband is a CDL driver/mover.

Old 10-29-2014, 11:39 AM

446 posts, read 709,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
Living in both...

Coeur d Alene is beautiful. Lakes, rivers, mountains. Good people fresh air, close to everything (spokane helps with that)

Boise is awesome. College football, lots of stuff going on, tech hub, ALOT more conservative.

Boise is more diverse when it comes to people, CDA has a large medical complex. What it is going to come down too is what kind of life do you want. Boise has a lot of morons, and that brings their values and complexities with them. CDA gets snow, boise doesnt. I loved boise, but all we had there was the reservoir, and I missed CDA lake so bad.

Little ADD-like after i read it, but you get the just, hope it helps! If you want a packet about CDA, let me know!
Is that a typo? Did you mean to say 'Boise has a lot of Mormon's?

Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
It is funny a real estate agent up in North Idaho has an issue with a certain religion. North Idaho has an image problem which in turn has an affect on the entire state, Thank you regarding the burned down Compound in Hayden Lake. People of the LDS religion should be the least of his concerns.

Old 10-30-2014, 10:48 AM

227 posts, read 382,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
Is that a typo? Did you mean to say 'Boise has a lot of Mormon's?
Freudian slip maybe?

I don't really think NID has an image problem. If anything, it keeps the riff-raff out. I think the only image problem it might have currently is whatever image seems to be prompting Californians to move here!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:28 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,364,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam View Post

I don't really think NID has an image problem.

Yeah it does, or I guess I should have said more of an issue of how it is perceived by non Idahoans, this is coming from a native of this state and I have lived in other states before moving back to Boise.

A current example from the Boise forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/37073470-post56.html

The fact that a group of wt, pot bellied, **** heads had a compound up in Hayden Lake, note I said used to, still casts a negative perception on the entire state. I am not blaming North Idaho for anything, just that stupid group who got away with what they did because of religious freedom, but this discussion is straying from my original intent to point out a important fact to Shaner about judging an entire group of people because they are part of a certain religion. Who knows, maybe he meant to spell it "moron" on purpose.

Who knows, the day may not be far off when Coeur d'Alene has its own LDS Temple.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:57 PM

227 posts, read 382,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
Yeah it does, or I guess I should have said more of an issue of how it is perceived by non Idahoans, this is coming from a native of this state and I have lived in other states before moving back to Boise.

A current example from the Boise forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/37073470-post56.html

The fact that a group of wt, pot bellied, **** heads had a compound up in Hayden Lake, note I said used to, still casts a negative perception on the entire state. I am not blaming North Idaho for anything, just that stupid group who got away with what they did because of religious freedom, but this discussion is straying from my original intent to point out a important fact to Shaner about judging an entire group of people because they are part of a certain religion. Who knows, maybe he meant to spell it "moron" on purpose.

Who knows, the day may not be far off when Coeur d'Alene has its own LDS Temple.
I am not denying anything about the image. I am contending that it is not necessarily a problem.

Big deal if outsiders want to believe a bunch of phony BS about the great state of Idaho. That's their own ignorance on display. The more the image persists, the less likely Idaho will turn into a CA or CO (or at least it'll take longer). For that, I am thankful!

Old 10-30-2014, 02:29 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,766,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam View Post
...I don't really think NID has an image problem. If anything, it keeps the riff-raff out. I think the only image problem it might have currently is whatever image seems to be prompting Californians to move here!
Trees? And, water?

Remember, I'm a returning "lost son". Even though my dad and I were born in CA, my great grandparents and great-great grandparents are buried in the deep, rich Idaho soil. I'm just "coming home".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho