U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 9,766 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I currently live in Oklahoma and are thinking of relocating to Idaho. We have 2 boys, ages 12 & 14 that we homeschool. Questions:
How business friendly is the area of Salmon? We own 2 small businesses here in OK and would live to start some sort of business there. What are a Needs? How business-friendly is the town of Salmon? Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 06:44 PM

349 posts, read 991,577 times
During the winter months things are pretty dead in Salmon, the majority of sales are from tourist in the spring and summer months, what sort of business do you run? There have been a handful that have closed up shop in Salmon over the past few years so you will need to be cautious in selecting that area, but Idaho Falls is the city where most residents of Salmon drive for their goods, there are a few people on here from that area that would know the market there better but definitely higher population than the 3200 of Salmon, it's pretty remote there and with no major highway going thru there you will be relying completely on residents for about 6 months out of the year. Best wishes to you I am from Salmon and it is a wonderful little town with great people.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:15 AM

28,413 posts, read 20,271,000 times
Hi, patriotic...
Salmon is sort of in the middle of low population area that is very wild. It serves as a supply city for surrounding local ranches, and also depends on the tourist trade during the summer and the hunting season of the fall.
Salmon is an old logging and mining town that came into existence to serve those industries as well as the ranches and because it's very close to the Lost Trail Pass, a natural pass that goes over the Great Divide into W. Montana.

It was once a major part of the gold trail out of Montana and the mines in central Idaho, as it was the last stop of the Oregon Short Line, a railroad that branded off the Union Pacific, which provided service to south & central Idaho as far as the Oregon state line. The major U.P. rail line ran eastward on the other side of the Great Divide into Montana, where it ended at Butte.

The logging and mining are now pretty much dead, but Salmon lies very close to the Frank Church Wilderness, a large part of the mountain belt that divides Idaho north and south from one side to the other. The mountains are the ones that forced Lewis & Clark into Montana, and they crossed over the Lost Trail Pass. So does the modern highway. The town survives because there's no civilization north of town to speak of that's still in Idaho. It's about the same distance from Salmon to Idaho Falls as it is over the divide to Missoula.
A look at an Idaho state map shows the rough boundaries of the Frank- you will see no cities on the map.

Idaho Falls is a much different city. It has always been an agricultural hub, and is the service city for a huge surrounding area that extends from Montana and Wyoming to the east to Arco in the west, a radius of over 200 miles. I.F. has about 58,000 population, while Salmon has 3,200.
Idaho Falls has the largest medical facilities north of Salt Lake and south of Boise. Because it serves such a large area, the med services here are much more sophisticated than for most cities of it's size. It's also the major retail center, and the largest financial center of the southeast side of the state.

For over 50 years, I.F. has also been the home of the INL- the Idaho National Laboratory. The INL was created as a testing and design center for nuclear power; the U.S.S. Nautilus, the first nuclear vessel in the Navy, has a reactor that had all it's parts tested out at the testing site, 60 miles west of I.F. in the Arco desert. The INL was never used for any weapons production; all of the reactors built at the site were 1/2 scale or less, and much of the work was centered on safety procedures and material handling safety.
Over the years, as the nuclear electric power plants stopped being built, the site branched out into alternate energy systems; it produced the first electric car over 25 years ago, was a leading test & design lab for solar cells, and devoted a lot to the safe storage and transport of expended nuclear reactor fuel rods.

As a result of all this, Idaho Falls is a city of farmers, doctors, businessmen and engineers with very advanced degrees. It's now a very entrepreneurial city, the state's leading tech center along with Boise, and the largest city outside to he Boise metroplex.

Even though it's large for Idaho and is growing, I.F. retains a very family oriented, small-town feel. While it has all the major big box stores and lots of local stores, it quiets down in the evenings as if it was a town half it's size. It has an unusual number of city parks for it's size as well, and is becoming an arts and events center for this side of the state.

It's location also makes it a tourist center, as it lies in the middle of a lot of very popular tourist destinations; Yellowstone Park, Teton Park, Island Park, and W. Yellowstone are all no more than an hour's drive away, and I.F. lies just south of the confluence of the Snake river, the largest river in Idaho and the best trout fishing streams in the west. Henry's Fork is renowned for it's fly fishing, and the South Fork for the size of it's fish. It's also surrounded by major elk, deer, and big game hunting, and is close to the big ski areas of Jackson Hole. Grand Targhee, one of the largest ski areas, lies in Wyoming, but can only be accessed through Idaho. Sun Valley lies westward about 85 miles away. In addition, Idaho Falls has become the hub city for snowmobiling throughout it's service area.

Idaho is a home school friendly state. Here in Idaho Falls, I know several families that home school, and they are all considered to be part of the local school district; the district will supply the teaching materials, and the kids can participate in whatever local school activities that may be desired. We also have a couple of charter schools here, including one Montessori school.

I honestly can't say how well business is doing in Salmon, but Idaho Falls is one of the leading small business cities in the nation, according to some big magazine surveys. Small specialty businesses tend to do well here, depending on the nature of the business. We have a lot of chain stores and restaurants, but local competition for many of them do very well here.

For the rest, all I can say is you need to come look the territory over. Salmon is about 1 1/2 hours away from I.F. If you can, try planning a vacation trip and hit the high spots of Yellowstone while you're here. W. Yellowstone is about an hour north of I.F., and is the best park entrance for choosing which loops within the park to take. I've done hundreds of day-trips to various areas of the park, and have also spend more extended stays there in all 4 seasons.

Old 11-03-2014, 03:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,766 times
Jadbad and BanjoMike thank you for your replies! BanjoMike I appreciate all the information you gave. A point you brought up that is very important to us are good medical facilities. I have MS and need to have a good neurologist!
Idaho Falls would suit us better in this regard. However, we live on a ranch in Oklahoma, 11 miles outside of city limits so in a way we are accustomed to a little seclusion.

Currently we run cattle, own and manage a liquor store, and a laundromat. We would love to have cattle wherever we move but the other businesses are not things we will replicate.

We fell in love with Idaho on our trips to Yellowstone but being a tourist and being a resident are completely different. I suppose we need to find a niche to fill in the business community since we would love to remain self-employed. We are open to ideas!
😊

Old 11-03-2014, 07:44 PM

Hi, Patriotic…
I'm part owner of a cattle ranch that's been in our family for over 110 years. We own most of our range, but some of it is leased from the state. It's about 40 miles south of Idaho Falls, in the Blackfoot mountains. While I gave up ranch life a long time back, my brother and his family still love it and they run our place. I go up whenever the urge strikes; once a cowboy, always a cowboy. A person never really leaves that life.

If you have the means to buy some range/farmland, it will be a lot easier to buy than to lease range here. All our leased ground is state land, and it just cost us 3 times more than we ever paid before to keep our lease when it came up for auction last year. Not because the base price of the lease was so high- it was because a young guy who wants to get in the cattle biz big time bid us up. He ran out of resources before we did.
This is becoming increasingly common here, because state ground is available for use other than ranching. Increasingly more folks are leasing land to put a cabin on, or to have a trophy ranch where more ego is grown than cows.

There's plenty of land available in both of the areas you're thinking about that's for sale, but Idaho hasn't been hit by drought nearly as hard as Oklahoma, and most of the available land for sale is going to be more expensive as a result.

It will really depend on how many cattle you want to run and if you plan to make your own hay crops- hay here is now a profitable crop, as what isn't used by the growers is easily sold in the Twin Falls area, where there are a lot of dairy farms, and down in California, where their big dairy industry has been hit hard by the water shortages. A lot of the Idaho dairy outfits moved up here from S. Cali in the 80s and 90s, when their property became extremely valuable as land for suburban growth.

All the liquor stores here are state-owned, so that's out, unless you want to work in one as a state employee. Experience would be a big help in applying for that job. I don't know how another laundromat would do here in I.F., or in Salmon, as I seldom use one.

Really, if you're serious, I think you should plan to visit and plan to stay for at least 3 weeks. Looking over all your options here thoroughly would use that time up. We have taken on herd cattle off and on for others over the years, and there are many other options that could be explored. This is good cow country from the Utah line all the way to the Montana line, so there is a lot of area to look over.

You may find neither place is perfect for you, but considering your MS, I.F. is definitely a better place for your medical needs. We have brain surgeons here. Idaho Falls is surrounded by farms and ranches, so 11 miles away from town could be accomplished, I'm sure.

Our winters here are tougher than Oklahoma, but this part of Idaho has always been good cattle country, and I think you would fit in just fine here.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:41 PM

349 posts, read 991,577 times
A laudromat in Salmon is definitely needed the clean one that had a great owner closed up and the only other one near Service Grocery should be shut down, it is disgusting the bathroom door does not even shut and it's filthy, there are some outfitters there and some remote camps that bring laundry in to town to be washed so there is an opportunity to pick up their business, and a lot of people go to Salmon in the summer and rent small places or camp and need a laundromat. There are about a dozen cattle ranches in Salmon that is mostly the money that is made there. Go visit both areas and see if there is something there that makes you really want to be there but in my opinion you can't go wrong with the eastern part of the state, as Mike stated IF is doin really well but Salmon will probably not be more than a retirement and vacation destination but worth the trip to see the beauty there.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:31 PM

8,440 posts, read 12,804,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hi, Patriotic…
I'm part owner of a cattle ranch that's been in our family for over 110 years. We own most of our range, but some of it is leased from the state. It's about 40 miles south of Idaho Falls, in the Blackfoot mountains. While I gave up ranch life a long time back, my brother and his family still love it and they run our place. I go up whenever the urge strikes; once a cowboy, always a cowboy. A person never really leaves that life.

If you have the means to buy some range/farmland, it will be a lot easier to buy than to lease range here. All our leased ground is state land, and it just cost us 3 times more than we ever paid before to keep our lease when it came up for auction last year. Not because the base price of the lease was so high- it was because a young guy who wants to get in the cattle biz big time bid us up. He ran out of resources before we did.
This is becoming increasingly common here, because state ground is available for use other than ranching. Increasingly more folks are leasing land to put a cabin on, or to have a trophy ranch where more ego is grown than cows.

There's plenty of land available in both of the areas you're thinking about that's for sale, but Idaho hasn't been hit by drought nearly as hard as Oklahoma, and most of the available land for sale is going to be more expensive as a result.

It will really depend on how many cattle you want to run and if you plan to make your own hay crops- hay here is now a profitable crop, as what isn't used by the growers is easily sold in the Twin Falls area, where there are a lot of dairy farms, and down in California, where their big dairy industry has been hit hard by the water shortages. A lot of the Idaho dairy outfits moved up here from S. Cali in the 80s and 90s, when their property became extremely valuable as land for suburban growth.

All the liquor stores here are state-owned, so that's out, unless you want to work in one as a state employee. Experience would be a big help in applying for that job. I don't know how another laundromat would do here in I.F., or in Salmon, as I seldom use one.

Really, if you're serious, I think you should plan to visit and plan to stay for at least 3 weeks. Looking over all your options here thoroughly would use that time up. We have taken on herd cattle off and on for others over the years, and there are many other options that could be explored. This is good cow country from the Utah line all the way to the Montana line, so there is a lot of area to look over.

You may find neither place is perfect for you, but considering your MS, I.F. is definitely a better place for your medical needs. We have brain surgeons here. Idaho Falls is surrounded by farms and ranches, so 11 miles away from town could be accomplished, I'm sure.

Our winters here are tougher than Oklahoma, but this part of Idaho has always been good cattle country, and I think you would fit in just fine here.
I agree with BanjoMike. Only by visiting can you see the remoteness within 20-30 miles of Idaho Falls.

With M.S. in the total picture, I'd strongly encourage you to visit and perhaps even talk to neurologists offices in Idaho Falls to see if you could be accepted as a patient.

Salmon is very scenic; however, anyone relocating with a known neurological condition needs to be closer to neurological care.

Plan enough time visiting to see various areas around Idaho Falls to address all of your needs and interests. Check with Grow Idaho Falls about what type of business are needed in Idaho Falls too. Here is their link:

Grow Idaho Falls Inc. - The Economic Development Agency for the City of Idaho Falls

Good luck and check with us in the Idaho Falls sub-forum if you have questions or ideas.

MSR

Old 01-08-2015, 12:06 PM

17 posts, read 35,245 times
Smile Salmon vs Idaho Falls Weather

Hi Everybody,

We live in Northern Idaho, Hayden/Coeur d'alene area. My hubby and I have both recently retired and we're looking for more rural area with wonderful views! Our present location is really nice, but very busy with traffic, new housing tracks, etc. We do love the beauty here, there are a lot of tourist in the summer months, but you have to travel to get into "remote" country.(We have 3 horses and have raised cattle in the past.)

I appreciate all the information banjomike and jadbad2004. We're going to take a trip this spring and visit both Salmon and IF. We're retired so job market isn't a main factor, although it is important to a town and amentities for the population, keeping down crime, etc. We do want to be somewhat close to medical facilities (emergencies, etc)

Could you elaborate on the difference in weather between the two towns?

Thanks for all the information. You guys are great!

Old 01-08-2015, 02:33 PM

Hi, flower…
Salmon lies in a hole surrounded my mountains. It's often warmer there in all times of the year than the surrounding country is because it's a lot lower. And often less windy as well, which is not always good, as forest fire smoke settles and lingers in Salmon for a long time if there is any fire going on in the area.

idaho Falls is higher than Salmon, and it lies at the edge of a long line of foothills. It's windier and generally cooler than Salmon. All of the S.E. corridor is sunnier in the winters than the panhandle is, and idaho Falls' height makes it cooler than Salmon or Pocatello, but warmer than the upper valley towns- Rexburg is generally cooler than I.F., and Ashton is cooler than Rexburg. The elevation steadily rises here going northward.

Farm land around Salmon is rather concentrated, as it's hemmed in on 3 sides by the mountains. The Idaho Falls area is wide open, so there is more farmland and it's much more spread out.

In a lot of ways comparing Salmon and I.F. is like comparing Hayden to C d'A. Salmon is much farther away from I.F. than Hayden is to C d'A, and 26 can be tricky to drive from Salmon to I.F. in the winters. Missoula is a little closer to Salmon than I.F., and it's also a tricky winter drive with a steep pass thrown in.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:00 PM

448 posts, read 753,896 times
1flower,

A little hard data from the weather monitoring stations:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho