Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 10:08 PM

276 posts, read 643,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
First time I've heard St. Maries referred to as the south end of north Idaho.

I can assure you the folks in Moscow disagree...
Realistically NID begins north of the Salmon at Riggins.
I meant to demarcate a "CDA" region, but wrongly called it "all of NID".
Tell me more about G-ville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 11:29 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,874,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAngleDoesn'tSuck View Post
Realistically NID begins north of the Salmon at Riggins.
I meant to demarcate a "CDA" region, but wrongly called it "all of NID".
Tell me more about G-ville.

True-tho I've found folks in the area from Lewiston to Riggins refer to the area as north central Idaho.

What do you want to know about Grangeville?

Old 12-22-2014, 11:42 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Default Distance to and Reliance Upon Spokane

I think part of what makes CdA and other towns a little different than other cities in ID is the distance and interdependence on Spokane. My understanding is Spokane is about 500 K. I'm not sure if that is correct or not. Also, C'dA and other towns are about 35 miles away.

I agree with the thought written above about the largest city in an area vs. being more rural. I honestly believe each area has challenges not experienced by all the state, and vice versa.

Maybe it would make sense to combine counties and name the 2-3 largest cities. I don't know what the answers are.

I don't know if CDF has guidelines. Part has to depend on how many posters can continue to post. Job changes, a newborn and other have taken a chunk of our Idaho Falls posters away. You have to have enough people to respond.

Having the second largest airport in Idaho and the one that brings tourists in for Yellowstone NP, the Tetons and Jackson Hole, the Idaho Falls sub-forum gets a lot of travel questions as well as relocation requests.

If you split C'dA threads up, what are the 3-4 most common questions (besides how soon should I get my CA tags changed etc.) asked? What are the themes of those questions?

Just a couple more questions to consider. I don't care if there is a C'dA sub-forum or not. I do have an idea of the work/time involved.

MSR

Old 12-23-2014, 07:46 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times

Old 12-23-2014, 09:06 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Maybe instead of North Idaho we should be referring to the entire region as just the panhandle and then divide *it* up into north, south and central panhandle.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 PM

276 posts, read 643,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Maybe instead of North Idaho we should be referring to the entire region as just the panhandle and then divide *it* up into north, south and central panhandle.
This opens up a whole new issue which in and of itself should merit its own sub-forum.
The Panhandle needs to be renamed the Gunbarrel.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
This has been discussed in the past. CDA will not have its own subforum. A population of 40k people doesn't cut it. Enough people in the surrounding areas have issues directly relevant to what's going on in CDA that if anything, it would be a NID subforum, but that would then leave a fairly blank nothing for everything else.

So it's quite natural for an area as broad as "the north" to occupy the majority of the "statewide" forum outside of the IF and Boise subforums, and that's how the admins want it.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:08 PM

Looks like the moderator has spoken. So be it. I wasn't really expecting a change. Just tired of hearing CDA referred to as North Idaho. It is not synonymous.

The population argument doesn't seem to hold much water, though. I.F. has a pop. of 58k.

Put together what I think of as the CDA metro area (Post Falls, CDA and Hayden) and you beat that. About 88k.

Merry Christmas all!

Old 12-24-2014, 04:26 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,362,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Looks like the moderator has spoken. So be it. I wasn't really expecting a change. Just tired of hearing CDA referred to as North Idaho. It is not synonymous.

The population argument doesn't seem to hold much water, though. I.F. has a pop. of 58k.

Put together what I think of as the CDA metro area (Post Falls, CDA and Hayden) and you beat that. About 88k.

Merry Christmas all!
The Idaho Falls Metropolitan population is over 136,000 based on numbers a few years ago. That isn't including Pocatello and Bannock County. Plus the IF sub could include all of SE Idaho if enough people participated. The Idaho Falls sub could be updated to read Idaho Falls and SE area.

If Coeur d'Alene were to get its own subforum the main Idaho forum would be pretty dead. Not very many people are leaving comments or creating threads about Shoshone or Lewiston.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TohobitPeak View Post
The Idaho Falls Metropolitan population is over 136,000 based on numbers a few years ago. That isn't including Pocatello and Bannock County. Plus the IF sub could include all of SE Idaho if enough people participated. The Idaho Falls sub could be updated to read Idaho Falls and SE area.

If Coeur d'Alene were to get its own subforum the main Idaho forum would be pretty dead. Not very many people are leaving comments or creating threads about Shoshone or Lewiston.

If one wants to talk numbers, we could also discuss the CDA combined statistical area of over 600k; or how CDA has the second largest metro area in the state... Both of which point to how CDA issues vary from being general North Idaho issues.

A strong case could be made for dividing the Idaho forum into three subforums.

Seems kind of pointless tho, as the Mods like the forum how it is. I'm good with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho