Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 07:50 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times

Advertisements

Off Topic!

Okay, today I read Sierra Don's posts and watched his videos, so trying to keep up him I thought I would share my trip from San Jose to San Mateo, California this morning.
We left at 9:30 AM as only a fool would think about getting on the 101 before the worst of the morning rush is over. Sierra Don shared his photos of tree lined, mountain view highways, frosted with a dusting of snow and little traffic. But, I digress, getting back to the 101 our views were of a mix of old and new buildings with new construction going up faster than popcorn pops while obscuring the view of the Bay. All that new construction should compress traffic resulting in more chances to make new friends along the 101 trail. Can't wait for that one!

I must admit that Sierra Don's trip looked well, lonely. We enjoyed very close, and near contact, with many other drivers also wondering why they were there. The ubiquitous semi trucks playing chicken with drivers is more entertaining than anything Sierra Don enjoyed. An hour later we arrived in San Mateo, finished our business and then repeated the experience returning to San Jose this afternoon. So ready to move on.

I just had to post this to remind some of you why you moved to NID.

Jealous Snarking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 09:40 AM

199 posts, read 315,933 times
Here is a slideshow of the pics I took when I was up there in NID.....

The first minute or so are pics of the wasteland of eastern Oregon.....not a whole lot out there

Here Heidi60, some more pics to take your mind off of the Ca traffic.......

When I lived in SoCal you could get on the 101 in the San Fernando valley at 3am and still be in a traffic jam.

I did a little tweaking to the pics, gray and fog looked so bland........

For best viewing, view in HD at full screen.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCR2...UyJ6BWSDSAzIQA

-Don

Old 02-18-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage of Sagle View Post
Don,

I'm sure you know that once you move here you will find things about NID you don't like. But for us, it was like a 90/10 thing, where 90% of everything up here was WAY better (by a massive scale) and 10% were things I like less than SoCal.

But IMO you will be best served the sooner you realize what you likely WON'T like about NID, so you don't ever wind up with "mover's remorse". For me, it's the bugs, poor work ethic of many building contractors and service guys I've dealt with, mud season, and the fact that the good sportbike-riding twisties have either too much wildlife or dirt/debris to be much fun at speed (but I switched to an ADV bike and a Harley so I'm good). Maybe I'll get another dedicated track/race bike and go play in Seattle or make the trek back down to Thunderhill to scratch that itch. Oh, and it was harder that I thought to find a good church where we found a good fit. We have a really good church now, but it's a drive.

Point is...the things that I don't like about NID are really pretty minor. The things I HATED about California were critical breaking-point issues in both life and business.

Hi SoS,

I'm sure i'll find some things that will not be to my liking, no where is perfect. I've seen lots of people move into my area and they are gone withing a year or two, don't like the snow, they think we are bunch of rednecks up here.

I'm basically ready to give riding crotch rockets anyway, had an accident a few years ago and an older body does not heal as fast as it used to. Tore most of the ligaments off of my left shoulder, now my collar bone sticks way up at the shoulder........forgot I had just put on new tires and slide out right in front of the shop when turning onto the street.

Thanks for the words of wisdom on relocation and potential pitfalls, yep I really dislike Ca........even mud, snow, ice and being overrun by critters is better than Ca..........on the news this AM they are now going to make it so that ALL people have to wear a helmet when riding a bicycle............how did we all manage to survive the 50's, 60's an 70's without a bike helmet......the nanny state at it's finest.

Question, does Idaho require an ATV rider to wear a helmet?

When I ride my ATV I am just cruising and taking in the scenery, no racing around and stuff like that and a helmet sure is annoying when just riding slow.

-Don

Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra don View Post
Here is a slideshow of the pics I took when I was up there in NID.....

The first minute or so are pics of the wasteland of eastern Oregon.....not a whole lot out there

Here Heidi60, some more pics to take your mind off of the Ca traffic.......

When I lived in SoCal you could get on the 101 in the San Fernando valley at 3am and still be in a traffic jam.

I did a little tweaking to the pics, gray and fog looked so bland........

For best viewing, view in HD at full screen.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCR2...UyJ6BWSDSAzIQA

-Don

It sure doesn't look like the 101! Where is the traffic, ugly buildings, construction, and too much of everything?

You really enjoy making me jealous don't you?

Thanks for sharing anyway. Someday, I might even get my DH to travel.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:24 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,837,966 times
Quote:

When I ride my ATV I am just cruising and taking in the scenery, no racing around and stuff like that and a helmet sure is annoying when just riding slow.

-Don
No helmet laws in Idaho. Just Darwin Awards looming for those who forget cause & effect.

Old 02-19-2015, 07:47 AM

356 posts, read 520,423 times
Quote:

-Don
No, no helmet laws, but the laws of physics do apply!

(Sorry, Sage's answer was complete, but I couldn't resist! )

Old 02-19-2015, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the replies on helmet laws.

I do wear a helmet, saved my head a few times on the street and I would wear one when riding up there on street/trail, some times I just like to cruise slow on trails and be able to stop and take a few pics here and there, plants, wildlife and such. It's a pain to pull the helmet on and off to do these kind of things and your only going 5 mph. Forestry got me once but lucked out and got no ticket, just a lecture.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:31 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Awwww, Don, beautiful pics from "home"! (Clark Fork)

Old 02-26-2015, 05:53 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times
Hey Don, I just read something about drone laws in Idaho:

Drone a disturbance during Lake Coeur d

Quote:
In 2013, the Idaho Legislature passed a law banning the use of unmanned drones to conduct surveillance or record or photograph “specifically targeted” people or private property without their written consent, including for the purposes of publishing. The law exempts drones used in mapping or resource management, law enforcement activity with a warrant, and emergency response for safety, search and rescue or controlled substance investigations.

I guess that depends on what one calls "specifically targeting." A simple fly-over should probably be okay. But you can come over and get our written consent and buzz our 5 acres! Just watch out for the Golden Eagles when they make their afternoon tour of the 'hood!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:09 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Hey Don, I just read something about drone laws in Idaho:

Drone a disturbance during Lake Coeur d

I guess that depends on what one calls "specifically targeting." A simple fly-over should probably be okay. But you can come over and get our written consent and buzz our 5 acres! Just watch out for the Golden Eagles when they make their afternoon tour of the 'hood!
You. Idaho has some unique drone problems. Running a herd of cattle with a drone wouldn't be a very good way of making a friend here, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho