Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 01:37 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,432,982 times

Advertisements

I heard the news at noon and damage control is in a full court press. The Web hasn't been updated yet. However, I can tell you this Rep. says his comments were taken out of context. I will wait for a link because I'm not going to try to explain the damage control today.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 06:25 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
I very much doubt Barbieri is an idiot. Far from it. I think Vito was just playing to his base, tossing a little red meat their way, and was a bit too clever trying to get his point across, so he blew it. That won't be the first or last time a politician does this.

After all, lawyers are trained to never ask a question they don't already know what the answer is, and Vito is, by all accounts, a pretty good lawyer. He just misfired, as all lawyers sometimes do, and now he has to do the necessary damage control. That happens all the time, too.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:26 PM

448 posts, read 812,708 times
Quote:
The question Monday from Republican state Rep. Vito Barbieri came as the House State Affairs Committee heard nearly three hours of testimony on a bill that would ban doctors from prescribing abortion-inducing medication through telemedicine.

Barbieri later said that the question was rhetorical and intended to make a point.

Dr. Julie Madsen, a physician who said she has provided various telemedicine services in Idaho, was testifying in opposition to the bill. She said some colonoscopy patients may swallow a small device to give doctors a closer look at parts of their colon.

"Can this same procedure then be done in a pregnancy? Swallowing a camera and helping the doctor determine what the situation is?" Barbieri asked.

Madsen replied that would be impossible because swallowed pills do not end up in the vagina.

"Fascinating. That makes sense," Barbieri said, amid the crowd's laughter.
Source.

IMO, Barbieri was simply making a point, in this case that tele-medicine works better in some cases than others. The doctor was giving an example supporting her opinion and Barbieri was attempting to demonstrate her example wasn't applicable. At least that's the way to reads to me. And it's what Barbieri himself said was his goal:

Quote:
"I was being rhetorical, because I was trying to make the point that equalizing a colonoscopy to this particular procedure was apples and oranges," he said. "So I was asking a rhetorical question that was designed to make her say that they weren't the same thing, and she did so. It was the response I wanted."

Last edited by ShadoAngel; 02-24-2015 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-24-2015, 07:34 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,196,294 times
Thumbs up I agree, BanjoMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I very much doubt Barbieri is an idiot. Far from it. I think Vito was just playing to his base, tossing a little red meat their way, and was a bit too clever trying to get his point across, so he blew it. That won't be the first or last time a politician does this.

After all, lawyers are trained to never ask a question they don't already know what the answer is, and Vito is, by all accounts, a pretty good lawyer. He just misfired, as all lawyers sometimes do, and now he has to do the necessary damage control. That happens all the time, too.

Exactly, BanjoMike! Lawyers are very savvy. Especially the ones in politics (OK, maybe, except Biden ). They are trained to never ask a question they don't know what the answer is. He definitely misfired I do not think that he is an idiot. Thanks.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:37 PM

356 posts, read 520,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoAngel View Post
Source.

IMO, Barbieri was simply making a point, in this case that tele-medicine works better in some cases than others. The doctor was giving an example supporting her opinion and Barbieri was attempting to demonstrate her example wasn't applicable. At least that's the way to reads to me. And it's what Barbieri himself said was his goal:

Old 02-27-2015, 08:49 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
About time being a sarcastic a**hole, personal injury attorney trying to to make ridiculous leaps in argument had his snarkiness backfire the way it so richly deserved. You go Vito!

Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 AM

3,298 posts, read 2,472,547 times

Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,896,221 times
There is more to this article at the link to the Boise Weekly.

Mr. Cope's Cave: Just When You Thought Your Legislature Couldn't Get Any Dumber... | Cobweb | Boise Weekly

Quote:
As you may remember, early in the legislative session I launched a new continuing series dedicated to the proposition that many of the men and women who come to Boise every winter to decide the direction Idaho will take are, in truth, not intellectually qualified to empty spittoons—even if emptying spittoons was a job for which there was still a demand.

Now, it is my opinion that when it comes to choosing a name for a continuing series, it's best go with something unambiguous. I settled on "Just When You Thought Your Legislature Couldn't Get Any Dumber..." so that no reader might get confused and make the mistake of thinking I'm writing about smart people.

Quote:
But even were we to concede that he doesn't have a cartoonish understanding of the female anatomy, there is still ample reason to believe Vito Barbieri is an astounding dumb****. We need look no further than his eagerness to tell Idaho women that he and his cohorts in the legislative majority should be allowed more authority over their medical and reproductive decisions than they.

And that's not only dumb... it's despicable.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:46 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,740,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post

Old 02-27-2015, 08:52 PM

445 posts, read 1,328,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
About time being a sarcastic a**hole, personal injury attorney trying to to make ridiculous leaps in argument had his snarkiness backfire the way it so richly deserved. You go Vito!
Tell us how you really feel, mistyriver. A**hole? You must be very proud. Your politics are very important to this forum. You go mistyriver!

pimit2 (Bob)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho