Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2008, 06:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,071 times

Advertisements

My dh & I are looking into buying some land outside of White Bird. I was wondering if anyone could give the some info about it. We are planning on flying out that way in a few weeks. We live on the east coast and won't have but a few days to spend. We don't want to get to an area and not like it and then not have other places planned to look.

We are looking for privacy, but not too far from shopping. I'd like to be no farther than 1 hour from Sam's or Costco and a mall. We homeschool so schools are not an issue. Oh, and we like to eat out occasionally.

Any thoughts on White Bird? Or other places that might be better?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 07:44 PM

18 posts, read 139,037 times
White Bird is 90 miles from Clarkston, WA where the nearest Costco is located. It is beautiful place, especially if you like fishing, rafting, and hunting. If you have an airplane you can fly into Grangeville (17 miles away), if not the nearest commercial airport is Lewiston (88 miles away). Grangeville is the nearest town with more than 1000 people (3500 people). It has many wonderful places to eat and a grocery store or two. In Grangeville I suggesteating at Ernies Steakhouse. They grow their beef near White Bird. White Bird is located in Idaho County where there is no planning and zoning and no building permits. Have a good visit out there.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:49 AM

97 posts, read 504,070 times
Welcome to Idaho. White Bird is very rural area. It is very beautiful. Be aware that the land prices throughout Idaho are being dictated mainly by wealthy land speculators from California. If you move here your closest neighbors will probably be retired Californians. If you enjoy the outdoors White Bird will be heaven for you. Native Idahoans like to fish and hunt. They do not appreciate outsiders that move here and then put up gated communities around them resulting in blocking access to National Forest around them for hunting and fishing. Appreciate the Idaho lifestyle if you love the outdoors!

Old 07-07-2009, 07:16 PM

46 posts, read 61,191 times
[SIZE=3]Can I buy an acre in White Bird, and have a house built for me (with me doing some of the work… like the wiring and painting) and not much of a hassle from the “authorities?” Are there any good builders near by that are honest and have good workmanship? I also need to put up some antennas for my ham radio (k7vhq) and what about permits for that? Thanks, Bob Todd[/SIZE]

Old 07-07-2009, 07:27 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
I love this part of Idaho, but as others have said, it really isn't close at all to any reasonable shopping or malls. Grangeville is the nearest sizable town, but it is quite small with limited retail options. Other rural areas that are closer to population: Payette, Cascade, St. Maries, Sandpoint

Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,925,471 times
OH I would say Grangeville might be a better fit for you. Maybe Janab will drop in. She lives there and can give you the Grangeville scoop.

Whitebird is nice. Small town. But your kids might also be happier in Grangeville.

Midvale has an airport. I am not sure on the services for it. Tie Down fees 10 a month. LOL Drop in we will tour you around. We are about 70 miles from a cosco. There is Walmart and home depot , other shopping closer. About 35 miles. There are several places for sale in our area. We do most of our shopping in Weiser at 20 miles. There is one cafe in Midvale with very good food. Lots of places to eat in Weiser. Whitebird is about 110 miles North of Midvale.

One thing to keep in mind. You want privacy. Well in Idaho you really do not need to be far out to have privacy. Most people will respect your choices. We live right in town but are never bothered by neighbors. It is really nice to know your neighbors. We walk three blocks to get the mail and it takes a half hour or more because it is fun to visit along the way. But if you do not want to visit with folks that is ok too.

Chris

Last edited by shades_of_idaho; 07-07-2009 at 11:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho