Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:04 AM

12 posts, read 20,635 times

Advertisements

Can anyone provide any insight? I'm looking to relocate to this area but the extremely high crime rates are alarming. I'm wondering if it can be explained away by tourism, misleading stats, bar fights, etc... or is it really just that dangerous of a place?

I searched and found a discussion from 2011 with just a few responses. I would love to get more current input from those with experience or knowledge of the area.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM

448 posts, read 804,436 times
McCall is a touristy/resort town. By and large, cities that have a strong tourism base will also tend to report 'higher' crime rates, because a good portion of the people *in* town at any given time do not *live* in town. What that means is that the statistics are going to be skewed some.

There's roughly 3000 residents in the city of McCall. That doesn't count the thousands of people who visit the city for special events, the lake, nearby ski areas, etc. So, IMO, the statistics are misleading because there are often way more people in the area besides the resident population.

The same effect can be seen in North Idaho, where the city of Ponderay (population ~1100) has a crime rate that is often twice the national average, yet adjacent Sandpoint (population ~7500) has a crime rate historically well below average. There's no way there's 3x the crime happening in Ponderay vs Sandpoint, but the small base population vs tourists, out-of-city shoppers, etc. can make it seem that way.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:49 PM

Thank you, that is very helpful. I appreciate your time. So, in your opinion, would an area like McCall or Ponderay be a safe place to reside?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM

448 posts, read 804,436 times
I haven't ever lived in either city, just visited both of them, but they appeared safe to me. McCall was on my list to move to for a while, but it was the snow that crossed it out, not the crime.

Ponderay is fine - it's no more dangerous than Sandpoint or Kootenai (cities with which Ponderay shares a border) - I think the high crime statistics might have something to do with the tiny base set population and the fact that several stores are in Ponderay including a Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Yoke's grocery store, etc. So any petty theft, car burglaries, shoplifting, etc. is going to count against the 1100 citizens of Ponderay, instead of the tens of thousands of Bonner county residents who shop there.

That's my opinion, but I'm also not an expert.

Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 PM

1,402 posts, read 3,343,532 times
McCall is Boise's mountain getaway and I've never heard anything about a crime rate up there. It is pristine, rugged, touristy, and seems very safe whenever I visit.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:30 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,670,714 times
The only crime I could think of would be during the 4th of July when all the rowdies hit up North Beach. Otherwise.... nothing.

Old 05-28-2015, 03:38 AM

29,173 posts, read 22,142,986 times
Minor property crimes like petty theft are probably the most common, but there are still many towns in Idaho where folks don't feel the need to lock their doors very often.

I have a good friend who lived for decades in McCall. If I remember to call him, he may be able to tell you all about the crime there, as he was a practicing lawyer there for quite a while. He eventually gave up the profession for his love of back-country flying, another occupation he excels at. The guys' a man of many talents. Being comfortable in a suit and tie is not one of them.

Old 05-28-2015, 07:49 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,670,714 times
I meant to say North Shore.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:31 AM

I truly appreciate the wonderful responses. This is very helpful as we seriously consider relocating our family to McCall. Banjomike, I'd love to hear what your friend has to say about the area if you get a chance to speak with him. Thanks again everyone!

Old 05-28-2015, 04:24 PM

199 posts, read 313,561 times
Here is something that might help, it's Trulia Maps, I noticed the little crime map about halfway down the Trulia page when looking at homes in NID.

I did a little searching and actually found the stand alone "Trulia Maps" website today.

It's pretty cool, you can seach by address, by city and so on. You can use your scroll wheel on your mouse to zoom in and out, hold left mouse button down to slide the map. You will see small black circles (some w/numbers), mouse over the circle/dot and a list of crimes will show in a window, you can click on the window to see a full list of the crimes. Also it will color areas according to the amount of crime....green is Safe and orange and red are Less Safe.

Here is the link to Trulia Maps, I have defaulted to Sandpoint, if you zoom in over Ponderay you will see along Hwy 200 and between 5th and 7th streets it is yellow.......things like DUI, trespass, alarm, welfare check, more or less small stuff.......I think basically it is anything a Law Officer had to respond to for one reason or another.

Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data

If you slide over to Newport, Wa. you will red, orange and yellow areas.

Here is a good example of an area w/lots of colors going on, Sacramento, Ca......Trulia Local - Visual analysis of local data
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho