Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:41 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,705,220 times

Advertisements

He's home from the vet today and doing better. On another antibiotic and another painkiller and he has started eating and drinking on his own. He is a bit of a chubster and it's dangerous to let them go more than a couple of days without food because of liver issues, so they got fluids and food into him.

Looks like this coon kept after him given the bites on his tail and hind legs. I think he's a very lucky kitty.
Attached Thumbnails
Worst Predator Around-p1020742.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:57 PM

209 posts, read 314,852 times
Oh my gosh, that looks painful. Poor cat. Hope he feels better soon.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:46 PM

291 posts, read 436,556 times
So sorry about your cat, I hope he continues to get better.

Agreed on the Racoons. When I was in High School living in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, our elderly neighbor lady would bake for them. At around 8 PM or so she'd put out a plate of brownies for them and then yell at them for fighting over the baked goods. Not great for our neighborhood bringing even more of those crafty critters into the area. No one's efforts to secure their garbage cans seemed to work as the racoons always figured out how to by pass the security.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:31 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,210,687 times
Folks, be sure to vaccinate your dogs!
Parvo is a horrible death for a dog, and rabies always seems to come out after a wet spring. Of the 2, I dread parvo the worst, and I once lost a dog to it. It's very hard to tell is a dog has it before it begins to kill them, and once they begin showing signs of sickness, it's too late to stop.
The virus ulcerates their intestines, and its' a horribly painful death.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:50 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,236,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Nor, the cancer!33

Coons are also known to get distemper and can pass it on to dogs, and also get Parvo (but not sure if they can pass that onto a dog). It was a big problem when I lived in MI. I used to shoot at least one coon a month in the back acres in broad daylight, while they were walking like a drunk soldier.
For sure Melanoma, skin cancer. I know from painful experience. Have to where long sleeve shirts like, (Banjomike mentioned) out side for long periods of time. Along with a good hat!
Scott

Old 06-10-2015, 07:14 AM

39,808 posts, read 26,349,321 times
Misty, so sorry to hear about your cat, hope he makes it through all right. Back east coons were a real problem-there weren't that many predators and the population was out of control-would see a new one (and or a possum) dead on the side of the road almost every day (OK, cars were the only predators). They also had a real rabies problem. One of the very few animals I would shoot just to kill. They can get mean, and very unafraid of people. I lived in a neighborhood here that had quite a few, and crowded enough not to have hunters. They would show up on the deck and eat catfood if it was left out. Try to shoe them off and they would stand their ground and growl.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:35 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
He's home from the vet today and doing better. On another antibiotic and another painkiller and he has started eating and drinking on his own. He is a bit of a chubster and it's dangerous to let them go more than a couple of days without food because of liver issues, so they got fluids and food into him.

Looks like this coon kept after him given the bites on his tail and hind legs. I think he's a very lucky kitty.
Poor guy......that does look painful. Wishing you both high spirits during his recovery......how many lives does he have left.

My cat just turned 21 and he has used up many of his 9 lives, but still going strong.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:36 PM

265 posts, read 684,701 times
Sorry about your cat. I however have a friend who is part of partnership with a few others that feed Feral cat colonies(03)(also gets them fixed)he told me and I have seen him putting food out for these cats and Coons come out to eat at the same time together with the cats. Your coons must not must not be domesticated like his to accept cats.

Old 06-10-2015, 05:58 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,705,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Sorry about your cat. I however have a friend who is part of partnership with a few others that feed Feral cat colonies(03)(also gets them fixed)he told me and I have seen him putting food out for these cats and Coons come out to eat at the same time together with the cats. Your coons must not must not be domesticated like his to accept cats.

We live in the middle of National Forest in northern Idaho. Pretty much what most people would call wilderness.
No wild animals are remotely domesticated or even acclimated really to people or our pets.
We just used to have big guardian dogs that protected our critters from predators.

It's what you get for living out here. Keeping the screen door latched all the time now since George has figured out how to open it. Up to us to protect our pets.

Old 06-11-2015, 02:48 AM

7,354 posts, read 12,592,728 times
Oh poor kitty! It's amazing that he's still around to tell the tale. I used to think racoons were fun and cute...but since we've had dogs I've learned just how obnoxious they are.

We haven't seen any coon sign in Clark Fork, but I'm sure they're there, unless our resident wolf pack ate them .

About Parvo: Our beloved First Dog (whom I've written a bunch about in the Dog forum -- even my dogs have C-D aliases!) got Parvo when she was 5 months old, and survived because my dad was visiting, and he'd noticed that she'd been throwing up at dawn, so when the vet opened, we were right there. I'll never forget his face when he came out with the diagnosis. There was death sentence written all over his face. But she was a fighter, and she lived! We had her for 13 years, the smartest dog alive! She knew 200 words, and understood whole sentences. But because we had to quarantine her for 2 months during her socially formative stage, she never got socialized to other dogs. She believed herself to be human for the rest of her life. Confidentially, I also think she was a person trapped in a dog costume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho