Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 AM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,266 posts, read 1,388,496 times

Advertisements

one state im looking at moving to is idaho, in the northern panhandle region, and i had some questions.

1: how dry is it up there, i know it is dry, but desert dry, or is their some moisture

2:how cold does it get in winter (i like real winters).

2.5: how much snow does that area get, and does it stick

3: how hot does it get in summer

4: how is the economy (common jobs, how do people get money, unemployment, poverty for that area, ect)

more questions to be added
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 10:56 AM

271 posts, read 390,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhelm View Post
one state im looking at moving to is idaho, in the northern panhandle region, and i had some questions.

1: how dry is it up there, i know it is dry, but desert dry, or is their some moisture

2:how cold does it get in winter (i like real winters).

2.5: how much snow does that area get, and does it stick

3: how hot does it get in summer

4: how is the economy (common jobs, how do people get money, unemployment, poverty for that area, ect)

more questions to be added
WHere are you coming from so we have perspective?

Also, all of those questions and much more information can be found using the Search function of this forum.

1. It is not dry at all except for a few months of the year (usually). I like to suggest people look on Google Earth at areas and notice that the greener the area, the more moisture it gets and the browner, the less. Look at weather monthly averages for more specific data.

2. It gets cold and hovers around freezing (both sides) much of the winter. In many winters, you will not see the sun for 10-12 weeks and it will not get much above freezing so any snowfall (and that can be up to a few feet or more) will not melt during that time. Often it slightly melts and then freezes over and over again which means lots of ice.

2.5. Some years we only see a couple of feet total but usually there is quite a bit more and many people can't handle it and move away. Same goes for answer 2.0.

3. Usually summers are pretty nice, which is why tourists flock to the area and make it crowded and very irritating for many locals (except for the $$$ they spend on the local economy). You can expect to see highs averaging in the mid-80s during the hottest months. Some years, like this one it gets even hotter and drier. Nights are usually pretty decent except for historically hot summers like this one.

4. The economy is good and growing but many people think that while there are jobs here, that they lack quality and are mostly around retail and tourism. Many professionals commute to Spokane and therefore live in CDA/Hayden/Rathdrum/Post Falls.

Before asking more general questions that have been answered many times over, PLEASE use the search function to save your time and others' from answering the same ol' questions.

NID is a great place to live for those who can handle the weather, be employed, and like the culture here. It is certainly not for everyone and I implore any prospective transplants to do your research and spend time here before taking the plunge.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:57 AM

3,109 posts, read 10,839,717 times
There is a plethora of information that addresses the specifics of your inquiries already here on the forum. It may be worth your while to spend some time reading posts on these issues first and then come back and post more specific questions.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 AM

regarding winter, im from new england, so im assuming some winters in idaho ill have alot more of. this winter, we got over 12 feet of snow, hovered around 20 degrees max most days, so my handling weather will be heat during summer (normally around high 70s here), and adjusting to a dryer climate.

Old 07-09-2015, 11:55 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
regarding winter, im from new england, so im assuming some winters in idaho ill have alot more of. this winter, we got over 12 feet of snow, hovered around 20 degrees max most days, so my handling weather will be heat during summer (normally around high 70s here), and adjusting to a dryer climate.
As others have already mentioned, please spend some time reading all the older topics that cover all your questions completely and in depth.

And then, realize that life here will still be different, even if you think you know a lot by then. You will find the most repeated answer of all is "Come out, spend some time, and actually see Idaho before making any decision to live here."

Take this for the literal truth. Whatever you are thinking are your priorities are most likely wrong right now, and all the stuff that will affect a life here the most has not even entered your mind yet.

Idaho is a different state in almost all respects from the other 47. This is the absolute, incontrovertible truth. I say this as a 5th generation native who has seen a good part of the nation and the world.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-09-2015 at 12:19 PM..

Old 07-09-2015, 12:10 PM

271 posts, read 390,357 times
Quote:
Weather is something you can look at data on, but never know what you're going to get in a given season or time period.

Culture is something completely different and you have to experience it firsthand before making a judgement I think. This is where I recommend spending more time and consideration once you get past the weather. Some love it and some can't handle it and everything in between...simply put! Culture is also much harder for many to adjust to than the climate (statement non-specific to Idaho) I think, FWIW.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:51 PM

the culture fact is why i tried to avoid culturish questions, with the exception of the job market ect. if i was to vacation every-where im looking, i would hit almost every northern state, so im trying to ask questions here on diffrent states, to try and narrow down said list.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:08 PM

448 posts, read 813,289 times
Some resources I have found helpful, to help you do some of your own research. I used Coeur d'Alene as the example but you can plug in other cities to find more particulars about different locations in North Idaho.

City-Data Profile for CDA. Tons of information here regarding demographics, incomes, home prices, crime levels, climate and weather, etc.

Average climate (average/extreme temperatures, rainfall, snowfall, etc.) for Coeur d'Alene Idaho.

US Census Data QuickFacts. Plug in specific counties or cities to get the most-up-to-date information on demographics, income levels, poverty level, etc.

Google will also directly answer some questions, like the Kootenai County Unemployment Rate, which they pull directly from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:16 PM

now, before i go off to reserch, are there other major centers there besides CDA, that have good hospitals atleast on emergency baisis (as a diabetic when i get sick, i need the ER for fluids, otherwise ketosis will spell my demise, and like most sane men, i would like to avoid death)

Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
now, before i go off to reserch, are there other major centers there besides CDA, that have good hospitals atleast on emergency baisis (as a diabetic when i get sick, i need the ER for fluids, otherwise ketosis will spell my demise, and like most sane men, i would like to avoid death)
Sure.
Boise and Idaho Falls are both major regional medical centers, and there are many good hospitals and med centers in cities all over the state from top to bottom. Sandpoint, Blackfoot, Caldwell & Nampa. Twin Falls, Pocatello and Rexburg all have good med facilities, and in some places, med evacuation is often done with helicopters.

It's very important to understand just how remote life in Idaho is away from our major cities. Any major city in Idaho is only a half hour away from wilderness, and once in our wilderness, a person can easily become the only person in many miles in all directions. Cell phones don't work everywhere here, and help is often more than 30 minutes in coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho