Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
It seems to me that you try to distort comments like Deadtime's to make them sound extremist or fringe in order to advance some sort of liberal agenda and to frame conservatism and Christian principles as something that needs to be diluted or vanquished in a society. I think most people that come to NID are attracted to it for what it is, not what they think it should be or want to to change into. It is not perfect but I think it is one of the few places in the USA that is still great including the people, culture, and environment. Maybe some folks from South Idaho should refrain from editorial commentary on that which they don't have firsthand knowledge of and let NID remain great!
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but I have always thought some of the things Deadtime has said to be extreme. Even so, I also think he's trying as best he can to shed the worst of his old life to try to build a happier one here. Some folks pack their old troubles around with them longer than others. he will let go of his eventually.

What do you think made Idaho so great, anyway? It was all of us Idahoans, not just those from any particular part of our state. What leads you to believe one particular spot here is so different from another? I assure you, our differences are tiny compared to our similarities.

You need to get out and look around more, Disciple. You need to see what I've just said for yourself. Tohobit's views are shared by almost all of us, even when we disagree about the small stuff.

People want to move here for a lot of different reasons, and our culture is what generations of us have made it to be as attractive as it is.

The panhandle is not it's own little territory. It never was and it never will be. As Idahoans, we all comment on any part of this state freely, because it belongs to all of us, and the vast majority of us, no matter where we live, know about, care for, and consider all Idahoans as being equal partners in our mutual home. No one is all that special here, despite what they may think.

If you or anyone else comes here for good reasons, you'll stay, adjust, loosen up, and be happy. But if not, there will be a greener pasture somewhere else for you soon enough. Old Mother Idaho sorts it all out by herself in the end. Always has, always will. That's the essential truth of it.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-22-2015 at 10:53 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 10:45 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Inadvertent double post.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 07-22-2015 at 10:58 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
That's still second hand, and a sample of, like, .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% of the population.
I agree it's a small amount who has been very vocal.

I back what TohobitPeak has written. There is zero that is liberal and non Christian. Different viewpoints don't need to be feared. Christians accept, serve and co-exist with ALL others.

Keim, I've never had an issue with anything you've written and several others in NID. There has been a shift, especially the past year, where newer Idaho residents show traits we've never had in this forum. It's not everyone, but a few are rigid and unable to consider the views of posters, both Christian and non-Christian.

I didn't post in this thread for over a week, given some of what was written before and how ugly it was. I'm primarily posting to support what TohobitPeak has written as his observations are correct. I've gotten more PMS and emails about comments some in NID have written, from people who use words far stronger than rigid to describe their concern about some in NID. Certainly others in NID like Shaner, Dave, Misty, Volosong and I'll add Sage have made more of an effort to exchange ideas and learn more about their experience in ID and vice versa.

For many of us natives, we're uncertain how extreme some in NID are. We don't know and the sources we ask aren't indicating flexibility in a rather new group who seem determined their voices are heard, and it doesn't matter what others in the state are shut out. They give the impression only their feelings or beliefs matter. Every resident counts in this state. Every viewpoint matters!

Sage has had to remove some ugly posts and even modify an offensive title of a recent thread. That is some of what you're missing, Keim. TohobitPeak and I read the shocking posts about others living in Idaho. No one is their equal, in some eyes. Look at what has happened in this thread....people are labeled with labels by certain posters. You read the logic for writing those words.

I sincerely hope you have ideas of how things can improve. I know I speak for dozens of natives that don't appreciate some who left California and wanted to live among what we created here, but now that they are here, they don't seek to learn anything beyond their own neighborhoods or to learn from the views of others. Some want those who don't agree with their views to be labeled. I have a hunch they did that where they lived previously.

Labels and closed minds are dangerous. We don't want labeling and other behaviors that devalue people in Idaho.

MSR

Old 07-22-2015, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Yes. Much higher Mormon population in southern Idaho.
What are your sources? Or is that your opinion? Have you been in southern Idaho? Perhaps you are one the AP wrote a series about. The series identifies LDS members as the most persecuted group in Idaho.

I look forward to your 2015 references.

MSR

Old 07-22-2015, 11:15 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,876,540 times
I need sources to prove there is a higher population of Mormons in southern idaho? I need sources to show an area with one predominant religion is different from one politically that doesn't have that predominance? Why?

Yes, I've been in southern Idaho.

Really have no idea what AP you are referring to.

Am friends with lots of Mormons, FWIW.

Here is an interactive map showing LDS population. Notice the concentration in SE Idaho. http://www.slate.com/articles/life/m...ctive_map.html

Go to Bear Lake and it is 82%. Go to Boundary and it is 6%.

Not sure if the data is from 2015. Sorry.

Last edited by Keim; 07-22-2015 at 11:29 PM..

Old 07-22-2015, 11:24 PM

Easy there, Punky Brewster. All I'm saying is you can't judge an area by the few people that happen to post on CDF. My comments extend no further than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I agree it's a small amount who has been very vocal.

I back what TohobitPeak has written. There is zero that is liberal and non Christian. Different viewpoints don't need to be feared. Christians accept, serve and co-exist with ALL others.

Keim, I've never had an issue with anything you've written and several others in NID. There has been a shift, especially the past year, where newer Idaho residents show traits we've never had in this forum. It's not everyone, but a few are rigid and unable to consider the views of posters, both Christian and non-Christian.

I didn't post in this thread for over a week, given some of what was written before and how ugly it was. I'm primarily posting to support what TohobitPeak has written as his observations are correct. I've gotten more PMS and emails about comments some in NID have written, from people who use words far stronger than rigid to describe their concern about some in NID. Certainly others in NID like Shaner, Dave, Misty, Volosong and I'll add Sage have made more of an effort to exchange ideas and learn more about their experience in ID and vice versa.

For many of us natives, we're uncertain how extreme some in NID are. We don't know and the sources we ask aren't indicating flexibility in a rather new group who seem determined their voices are heard, and it doesn't matter what others in the state are shut out. They give the impression only their feelings or beliefs matter. Every resident counts in this state. Every viewpoint matters!

Sage has had to remove some ugly posts and even modify an offensive title of a recent thread. That is some of what you're missing, Keim. TohobitPeak and I read the shocking posts about others living in Idaho. No one is their equal, in some eyes. Look at what has happened in this thread....people are labeled with labels by certain posters. You read the logic for writing those words.

I sincerely hope you have ideas of how things can improve. I know I speak for dozens of natives that don't appreciate some who left California and wanted to live among what we created here, but now that they are here, they don't seek to learn anything beyond their own neighborhoods or to learn from the views of others. Some want those who don't agree with their views to be labeled. I have a hunch they did that where they lived previously.

Labels and closed minds are dangerous. We don't want labeling and other behaviors that devalue people in Idaho.

MSR

Old 07-22-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I need sources to prove there is a higher population of Mormons in southern idaho? I need sources to show an area with one predominant religion is different from one politically that doesn't have that predominance? Why?
The Mormons just arrived in the south first. They have a strong and growing presence in the panhandle, particularly up close to the Canadian border, and Boise Valley has a very high number of them. The fastest growing churches, however, are the Evangelical Baptists and the Catholics. Our Jewish population is also growing from Boise northward as well.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Mormons just arrived in the south first. They have a strong and growing presence in the panhandle, particularly up close to the Canadian border, and Boise Valley has a very high number of them. The fastest growing churches, however, are the Evangelical Baptists and the Catholics. Our Jewish population is also growing from Boise northward as well.

BM-Note I heavily edited this as you were posting. You may wish to check the map I reference. The growing presence in the Panhandle is nothing like the predominance in SE Idaho.

Old 07-22-2015, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Easy there, Punky Brewster. All I'm saying is you can't judge an area by the few people that happen to post on CDF. My comments extend no further than that.
Fair enough. I appreciate your clarification

MSR

Old 07-22-2015, 11:49 PM

Quote:
BM-Note I heavily edited this as you were posting. You may wish to check the map I reference. The growing presence in the Panhandle is nothing like the predominance in SE Idaho.
A lot of the counties in the south have very small populations. Some are so small that 300 people of one faith can be a pretty big hunk of the population. That's true statewide. But it's undeniable, nontheless, that the concentration is highest in the S.E. corridor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho