Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 12:57 PM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifemmak View Post
Hahaha, Well spoken Shaner. Thanks for the advice. If I may ask, how is the housing for 3-4bdr like (cheap, moderate or expensive)?
we talking buying or renting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2015, 02:02 AM

181 posts, read 435,562 times
Umm a bit speechless, I'll try to be diplomatic here. Black on black crime is the primary cause of murders, robberys, assaults etc in the black community. The worst neighborhood in CDA is probably 5000 times safer for you than the best neighborhood in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York.

There are very few blacks here, yes you might get a few looks but mostly because people will be a bit suprised. If however you are friendly, and act even half way normal (which around here can be funny) then folks will treat you pretty much like anyone else.

I would ask why you would want to move someplace where you think people would be pre disposed to treating you poorly? I can't quite tell if you are seriously asking for opinions or trolling to see if the racists jump out at you....

How about rephrasing your question....How safe is CDA for people, is there a "bad" area I should avoid. And to be totally honest people will be more hostile towards you for putting a Hillary/Obama/Marx/Lennin/Stalin for president sticker on your car than for the color of your skin.

As I've asked before I'll ask again, your car breaks down, it's 3AM, do you A. Want it to happen in The worst neighborhood in CDA or B. The worst neighborhood in Chigaco.

Old 07-24-2015, 01:02 PM

213 posts, read 674,441 times
I'm a black man who is also considering a move from Cincinnati, Ohio to Coeur d'Alene, which we prefer to actually living in Spokane (where we will be working). One of the biggest reasons we are moving is to get away from big city life, where our neighborhoods are in rapid decline, crime is going through the roof, etc.. We are very family-oriented and we actually prefer a more conservative lifestyle away from all the violence and crime we see daily in the big city. My question is what type of local government do you have? Our local government has catered to the criminal element for years and years and we desperately want to get away from that.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:14 PM

271 posts, read 390,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post
I'm a black man who is also considering a move from Cincinnati, Ohio to Coeur d'Alene, which we prefer to actually living in Spokane (where we will be working). One of the biggest reasons we are moving is to get away from big city life, where our neighborhoods are in rapid decline, crime is going through the roof, etc.. We are very family-oriented and we actually prefer a more conservative lifestyle away from all the violence and crime we see daily in the big city. My question is what type of local government do you have? Our local government has catered to the criminal element for years and years and we desperately want to get away from that.
Most of the crime here (which is VERY minimal) is either domestic disputes or theft (probably by junkies wanting a quick score to buy their drugs). It is a very safe and family oriented place. Subscribe to the Post Falls and/or CDA Police Department's Facebook pages to get an idea as they post reports after every shift.

If you do decide to move here (as with anyone else), please do your best to keep it great here! Family-oriented adults who are great parents to their kids are one of the main pillars of what makes any society and that has not been lost here yet.

I don't think any respectable person of any color would have trouble thriving here as long as they are realistic about what they are getting into when they move here (climate, economy, culture).

Take a visit or two in different parts of the year and see what you think!

Old 07-24-2015, 05:44 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifemmak View Post
Hi everyone,

I read couple of posts concerning Coeur d'Alene, IDon theinternetwhich I found interesting and strict, but I will like people in the forum to tell me if it's good and safe for me a Black man with family to live and work in Coeur d'Alene, ID. Am not trying to call you guys racists or rude, but some articles I read online wrote the population of black family in Coeur d'Alene, ID is 0.20% and people are rude to Blacks and Hispanics, while some articles praise Coeur d'Alene, ID for good friendly behaviors towards every human. Please I need a good and wise counsel from anyone who lives, lived in or been to Coeur d'Alene, ID. Hope to read from you guys.

Thanks
You will probably stick out a bit.. Let's face it, you will be noticed a bit.. Is that bad? Well, it could be. If you are a bleeding heart, Obama loving black liberal, I can say you may bump into some problems in Idaho. YOu may want to think twice about driving around with Obama/Clinton sticker on your car or openly mouthing off about how Republicans are a bunch of gun-toting backward thinking loonies, etc at the local bar. On the other hand, an Allen West style black conservative will feel right at home in most any town in Idaho. Idahoans as a whole are not racist. I've lived in a small Idaho town, 30 miles west of Boise and had black neighbors. They were, of course, gun toting black conservatives and just fitted right in. In Idaho, if you are a conservative, you are immediately liked, regardless of skin color. Actually liberals will face more discrimination in Idaho than anybody else. However, I would say a black liberal will probably face even more, as some may decide to play the race card (in the wrong direction). Although, Coeur d'Alene, itself, is known as being more of a liberal-minded city and you probably not feel overly segregated or overwhelmed by ultra conservative zealots. It is not a small deep southern Bible belt town where if you go to the wrong church or vote the wrong way you will be an outcast.

I would say your politics may get you into more trouble than your race. Although, being a minority, you may unfortunately feel a bit of discrimination from some people which would be amplified by your political and cultural views.

Imagine, a white redneck guy moving to black neighborhood in Atlanta and insulting their music, food, culture, etc. How well will he be received? Now, imagine the same guy who is respectful of the culture, politics, music, food and tries to fit in a little. He may have a much different reception, but if he goes there with a chip on his shoulder, viewing everyone else as bad, racist or their culture, politics as bad, he will find he is probably not only disliked for his views , but also he will face some discrimination by the bigots in those communities , which may be the minority, but still can feel overwhelming when you get attacked or discriminated by one.

I think it goes both ways when you are an outsider to a community, whether gringo in Hispanic dominated region, white person in Black dominated region or black guy in a white dominated region. But, not every culture is the same, despite by their race/skin color/etc.

I was a white guy in Africa and was there for half a year, so I understand a bit about looking a bit different and having to break into a society that is a bit different than mine, culturally. The outside appearance will get you attention, but this can be good and bad. If people consider you a respectful person and your views are compatible with theirs, you may find that you may be given an even better reception than a person who looks the same as everyone else and doesn't get much attention.

If you are a liberal of any skin color, you are probably best living in Boise or Coeur d'Alene and not venturing outside for anything other than recreation.. Being a black liberal (which means being more noticed) you should take that even more to heart.

Just so you know, you are probably safer being black in Coeur d'Alene or anywhere in Idaho than in segregated white neighborhoods in the South. People in the Northwest, for the most part, are live and let live. The only problem is when people get in other people's faces and try to attack or talk down on others, especially in politics.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 07-24-2015 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-24-2015, 06:22 PM

181 posts, read 435,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montrell View Post

It won't do you a lot of good to move here then continue voting in the same people who helped destroy your neighborhoods in the first place. As mentioned you will receive more dislike based on your politics than your color.

We had a white family move from Spokane to my neck of the woods just before the last congressional elections, they put a lawn sign out for a Democrat and that was the last time most people in the neighborhood ever spoke to them.

The media has built up this big story about nazis hiding up here and it's a false narrative. Most folks here just want you to help us keep it safe, respectful, clean and family oriented but most of all free with as little government intrusion as possible.

Judge a man not by the color of his skin but the content of his voting record....a change in the the real quote but hey did ya know Dr.King was a Republican?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:45 PM

159 posts, read 354,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEADTIME View Post
It won't do you a lot of good to move here then continue voting in the same people who helped destroy your neighborhoods in the first place. As mentioned you will receive more dislike based on your politics than your color.

We had a white family move from Spokane to my neck of the woods just before the last congressional elections, they put a lawn sign out for a Democrat and that was the last time most people in the neighborhood ever spoke to them.

The media has built up this big story about nazis hiding up here and it's a false narrative. Most folks here just want you to help us keep it safe, respectful, clean and family oriented but most of all free with as little government intrusion as possible.

Judge a man not by the color of his skin but the content of his voting record....a change in the the real quote but hey did ya know Dr.King was a Republican?
That's seems a bit harsh and part of what is tearing America apart right now. What's wrong with people having different views and learning to respectfully listen to those views? If we truly are a live and let live state why would we use someone's politics as a reason to shun them?

Old 07-24-2015, 06:51 PM

145 posts, read 214,341 times
I don't live in Idaho (yet) but as a white person I would agree with what others have said here for me personally as well. I would rather have a friendly, respectful, family oriented and conservative leaning black neighbor than a super liberal, rude, loud, white neighbor. I think your politics and demeanor will count much more than your skin color both in Idaho and a lot of other places.

Old 07-24-2015, 07:17 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,827,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkaboutcda View Post
That's seems a bit harsh and part of what is tearing America apart right now. What's wrong with people having different views and learning to respectfully listen to those views? If we truly are a live and let live state why would we use someone's politics as a reason to shun them?
Because their politics maybe will infringe upon our freedoms and ability to carry out the "live" portion of the "live and let live" clause.

For example, I had talked to a liberal here in Washington on the Seattle forum who is demanding Washington institute a state income tax. That would ruin my small family business in this state, which is already very expensive to live and has high taxes in other areas. I'd essentially have to pack my bags and leave the state if this person got their way. This obstructs the "live and let live" philosophy. Then, this same blind liberal is screaming at me for not being accepting of them! Oh Geez, sorry, that I don't want you to ruin my business so we can give more money to fat, homeless drugged out people who dress and eat better than I do with all the government funding. Our social programs are a complete waste of tax dollars and the endless construction projects do nothing more than put money in the hands of our crooked politicians, as an example of how sick I am of the bureaucracy and increasing government power and control that these liberals always blindly support.

Basically, most left-wingers I have seen are on a conquest to destroy the more freedom loving and conservative elements of the Northwest. I'm not saying all conservatives are open-minded and accepting either, but these ultra radical liberals have an agenda and it is to oppress and remove our freedoms and redistribute our money to either themselves or to people who do not deserve it. That is why many of them are running away from the hells they have created only to turn our paradise into the hell which they left.

FOr the most part, your average NOrthwest conservative won't get into your business with who you marry, even if they don't agree with it. Even many would look the other way to what drug you put into your body or what god , goddess or anti-religion philosophy you hold so dear. However, most liberals who are moving up this way want to redistribute our wealth, which they claim we don't deserve and ban our personal freedoms to appease their own prejudices against the freedoms they despise that we have.

If they came here with good intentions, believe me, they would be more accepted.

On a side note, any bigotry minorities, like black people will face, in Idaho will have less to do with their skin color and more about what people perceive their politics to be. If they are recognized as conservative, they will probably be cherished as much or more than even a hot-blooded conservative native born white Idahoan.

P.S. Most of the neo-nazis who operated in Idaho a while back where all from California. Nazism is not very popular among Idaho people. Try walking around a gun show in Boise, Idaho wearing a kippa.. I survived it and nobody beat me to death or burned me alive!

Old 07-24-2015, 07:30 PM

271 posts, read 390,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Because their politics maybe will infringe upon our freedoms and ability to carry out the "live" portion of the "live and let live" clause.

For example, I had talked to a liberal here in Washington on the Seattle forum who is demanding Washington institute a state income tax. That would ruin my small family business in this state, which is already very expensive to live and has high taxes in other areas. I'd essentially have to pack my bags and leave the state if this person got their way. This obstructs the "live and let live" philosophy. Then, this same blind liberal is screaming at me for not being accepting of them! Oh Geez, sorry, that I don't want you to ruin my business so we can give more money to fat, homeless drugged out people who dress and eat better than I do with all the government funding. Our social programs are a complete waste of tax dollars and the endless construction projects do nothing more than put money in the hands of our crooked politicians, as an example of how sick I am of the bureaucracy and increasing government power and control that these liberals always blindly support.

Basically, most left-wingers I have seen are on a conquest to destroy the more freedom loving and conservative elements of the Northwest. I'm not saying all conservatives are open-minded and accepting either, but these ultra radical liberals have an agenda and it is to oppress and remove our freedoms and redistribute our money to either themselves or to people who do not deserve it. That is why many of them are running away from the hells they have created only to turn our paradise into the hell which they left.

FOr the most part, your average NOrthwest conservative won't get into your business with who you marry, even if they don't agree with it. Even many would look the other way to what drug you put into your body or what god , goddess or anti-religion philosophy you hold so dear. However, most liberals who are moving up this way want to redistribute our wealth, which they claim we don't deserve and ban our personal freedoms to appease their own prejudices against the freedoms they despise that we have.

If they came here with good intentions, believe me, they would be more accepted.

On a side note, any bigotry minorities, like black people will face, in Idaho will have less to do with their skin color and more about what people perceive their politics to be. If they are recognized as conservative, they will probably be cherished as much or more than even a hot-blooded conservative native born white Idahoan.

P.S. Most of the neo-nazis who operated in Idaho a while back where all from California. Nazism is not very popular among Idaho people. Try walking around a gun show in Boise, Idaho wearing a kippa.. I survived it and nobody beat me to death or burned me alive!
Good stuff!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho