Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 08:09 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've never been to Payette.

But I just read every post here and all I can say is that it's hard to believe that the town that produced Harmon Killebrew, one of the finest gentlemen to ever play the game (MLB), is near as bad as most here have described it.

Harmon also happened to be among the greatest sluggers ever to play. From where I sit, Harmon put Payette on the map and the town couldn't ask for a better face.
Was visiting my g and gg-grandparent's graves in the Riverside Cemetery and noticed a quite large headstone in the next row over. Wandered over to see who's stone it is and saw that it is Harmon's. There are a lot of Killebrew family members buried there.

Back on topic . . . no, Payette is not as bad as some posters make it out to be. It's a typical, small farm community. A bit run down and not much going. But certainly not "bad". I suspect most residents hop over the bridge into Ontario for their shopping needs.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2017, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,288 times
A Stephen King book? Sounds good to me. I thought about moving there. I'm in Bend, Oregon now. Housing prices seem more reasonable there.

Old 04-29-2017, 10:45 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I've never been to Payette.

But I just read every post here and all I can say is that it's hard to believe that the town that produced Harmon Killebrew, one of the finest gentlemen to ever play the game (MLB), is near as bad as most here have described it.

Harmon also happened to be among the greatest sluggers ever to play. From where I sit, Harmon put Payette on the map and the town couldn't ask for a better face.
Yup. Harmon Killibrew was indeed a fine man in all respects.

But remember he moved away young and never came back to live there afterward. Great individuals don't always come from the best places. Harmon never forgot his roots, but he didn't want to become a part of them, either.

But that really doesn't matter now anyway, as he's been gone a long time now.

Personally, after living in nearby Caldwell for some time, and being pretty familiar with Payette, a person who moves there is going to need to like Ontario, Oregon, as much as Payette, as that's where all the shopping and entertainment are. It's just over on the other side of the Snake River. Ontario is not large at all, but it's a real local hub so it punches over its weight in supplying typical needs.

Boise is a farther commute than I would want to take, especially in the winters, and life there is really small-town life. There isn't much to do outside of agricultural stuff. The people are going to be the same as any small town in Idaho, and the place has typical small town rewards and problems.

But if I wanted to move and buy a farm, Payette would be high on my list. The climate and the soil there are some of the best in the intermountain west, and will grow anything that can be grown here. It's hotter there than in some surrounding near-by areas as it's quite low. (But this is only by a few degrees. Altitude always makes a difference here everywhere in the state.The Treasure Valley is called the Banana Belt. It's typically warmer than the rest of the state.)

Old 06-06-2017, 02:34 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,450,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Oria View Post

Some time ago, on a trip back into Payette, I noticed a skate-park had been built on the east end of 'the big park'.

Wonderful Idea.. for the possibly 3 or four kids who actually know how to skate.

Last Sunday, we stopped that park in Payette for a lunch break on the way back to Oregon.
Nice park, but only a couple of families there.
The restrooms were not maintained and absolutely filthy.

That skate park mentioned above is still there, but in total disrepair.
It's falling apart.
It doesn't look like it's even usable.

It seems like the whole town is kinda that way.

It's interesting to notice the difference between Payette, Idaho and Ontario, Oregon which is just around the corner and over the river.

Payette seems to be stuck in past times.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:19 PM

75 posts, read 99,209 times
any recent updates on the community of Payette?

Old 10-29-2017, 02:57 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by his_little_one View Post
any recent updates on the community of Payette?
I wouldn't expect much to change since the last post, written in June. Things in Payette don't move that fast.

There was one big change that happened, though; last winter, the heavy snow collapsed a huge bunch of roofs there. Roofs collapsed and crushed onion sheds, a church, and a bunch of other buildings. So I expect there are now lots of brand-new roofs on old buildings by now.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:50 PM

any new information available for living in Payette? last pot was in 2008

Old 01-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
Usually when someone is so upset by an area or town that they spend endless energy telling about how bad it is, it's because they have had a serious problem in their lives involving that town. I hear horrible things said about my town in AZ occasionally but I know personally it is all a matter or perception...it'sbeen a nice little town for me and mine. That's why I would never ask anyone's opinion on a town... everyone's opinion is based on their personal experience. Check out Payette for yourself and speak to the residents one on one. Then decide.
Dear esselcue ... can you give me more insight on the current atmosphere of Payette please? we are looking at properties in the area.

Old 01-17-2018, 03:07 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by his_little_one View Post
Dear esselcue ... can you give me more insight on the current atmosphere of Payette please? we are looking at properties in the area.
Esselcue hasn't been active since 2014. We miss her! You may try to send her a PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho