Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 03:26 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,210,687 times

Advertisements

We just buried the uncle I mentioned earlier this morning. He was the last of his generation, and died at 85 earlier this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 06:32 PM

181 posts, read 268,971 times
Default Sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
We just buried the uncle I mentioned earlier this morning. He was the last of his generation, and died at 85 earlier this week.
I hope he lived a wonderful life, that is all a person can ask for.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:19 PM

209 posts, read 314,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a good protective uncle.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:12 AM

29,183 posts, read 22,210,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNorthender View Post
Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a good protective uncle.
Thanks. Yes, he was. He was actually a very gentle guy, but would not be trifled with. All the men of his generation looked out for all their kids equally, and all my cousins spent a lot of time hanging out with each other. The ranch is a lot of work, but its a lot of fun, too. The 3 brothers and 1 sister of that generation all led very hard working but happy lives, and they all lived doing what they wanted to bring home the bacon.
My uncle awoke at 5 am every winter morning for 40 years to go feed his cows, and then taught Jr. High history for the rest of the day. And then would feed his cattle in the dark again after he came home. He loved to teach as much as cowboy.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far in this thread; if someone sees any private property signs, obey them! The law in Idaho is all on the owner's side when it comes to trespassing, and some are very tough.
Rustling can put a person in prison for 25 years. Illegal trespass hunting can be almost as tough. If a hunter kills a cow or any domestic animal in trespass hunting, it can go very badly for the shooter.

Don't assume no one is around if you don't see anyone in private forest or range. As I mentioned, sound travels a long way, and those folks who own range and forest all watch out for each other. If a neighbor hears shooting, he may go check it out as quickly as an owner would.
One new development is the use of camouflaged trail cams, the little outfits hunters use to scout likely game areas. The property owners these days are now placing them on access points to their property, and they're cheap enough that there are hundreds out there now everywhere.
We have 'em, as do our neighbors, and we all know where they are. Any time we're on a neighbor's place, we will check theirs, just as they check ours.

Last edited by banjomike; 08-30-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 08-30-2015, 06:21 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,556,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
And if you hunt on your own land, like our former neighbors did, there is no guarantee that it will be right in the middle of your 20 acres. It may end up being close enough to your neighbors' property that they may get pretty upset. Better use public lands, especially since it is so accessible.
Interestingly, where I live the minimum acreage to hunt with firearms is 20 acres. However due to high deer population there is an exception made for bow hunting so deer can be taken on your own property and those of any neighbor from whom you have permission as well as bag limits being raised for the season and doe hunts permitted.

In fact, there are so many deer I could probably kill one every day of the week if I had something to do with them - Deer Butchers are hard to find and charge a great deal in my area, and although I do like the taste of Venison, I could not eat that much deer meat.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:18 AM

804 posts, read 2,884,149 times
Basically all we hunt is private ground with other houses in the vicinity. There are great opportunities close to the city limits if you know where you are going and have the contacts to get permission.

I just make a point to at least introduce myself to the neighboring property owners so they know who I am and that we are hunting on a neighbors property. Some are receptive some are anti hunter but typically when we talk for a while and I explain we archery hunt they are more receptive than having someone rifle hunting in the vicinity of their house.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:52 AM

1,874 posts, read 1,317,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelshund20 View Post
You can hunt on your own property as long it's within hunting season, you still must posses the appropriate license and tags.

so if I am on my own property in the middle of the city and see a deer in my backyard I can blast away with my .50 BMG?

Old 10-17-2015, 11:45 AM

199 posts, read 314,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
so if I am on my own property in the middle of the city and see a deer in my backyard I can blast away with my .50 BMG?

I believe it is illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits.......

Old 10-17-2015, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 922 times
Default '...middle of the city...bjast away with my .50 BMG? "

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Yes, of course. The phrasing of the statement you posted, clues everyone you know the answer already. What water are you drinking?...

Old 10-17-2015, 12:56 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,317,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montana8541 View Post
Yes, of course. The phrasing of the statement you posted, clues everyone you know the answer already. What water are you drinking?...

apparently the blue algae kind..LOL

was just asking because the way the OP phrased the answer to the original question.. maybe there was something I was missing honestly why I asked
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho