Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:18 PM

65 posts, read 153,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retireoptions View Post
Thanks to all who have contributed to the Idaho forum here, as my wife and I have gained a lot of great insight of this state with regard to selecting our ultimate retirement destination. That said and after making several week trips to both the Boise & Coeur D'Alene areas, we are undecided for moving to EAGLE or the COEUR D'ALENE/POST FALLS area.

We prefer the Panhandle area for the natural beauty (green and lakes, not to mention our preference for "cooler/overcast" weather vs. being "warm"), but here in Southern California, where we've spent most our adult lives, we've only had a real taste of snow/winter by way of visiting Big Bear Lake (a somewhat local area mountain resort within a 2 hour drive of the Los Angeles area).

Anyway, we will be coming back up to the Coeur D'Alene area this coming January/February for a week, to once again try to get a feeling of what it would be like driving and getting around the area during the winter, especially being the aging adults we are with weakening backs (tough getting old).

So if anyone has further comments or personal experiences they wish to share to help us decide if we might be able to work thru the winter months in North ID, please do pass along our way.

Thanks all for your great posts !!!
This question is a tough one. I was also considering strongly Eagle, or Meridian. One of the things considered was the property taxes in Boise/Eagle are about double from what I looked at, compared to the CDA area. As I have gotten older, I am less tolerant of the summer heat, and Boise is definitely hotter in the summer, and within 1 degree in the winter of NID. Keep in mind that CDA is only 2100 feet above sea level so the snow is manageable in town, and it seems like it can be snowing north of Hayden ave, but raining south of it at the same time. So going even a little north of Hayden will have a bit more snow.
Boise is a desert that looks like Palmdale Ca. (high desert) and has a similar climate with more snow, and a little colder in the winter.
North Idaho is beautiful, and has a lot of trees, and hills, and mountains.
Also there are a lot of lakes, so it is beautiful in that regard, plus it is never hard to find a nice spot to fish, boat, or ski that are not crowded.
Anyway we picked the north, and my kids thank me almost daily for moving them here, and so does my wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 4,757 times
Hello All! Wow, lots of rather political commentary here! I am not at all fond of the California lifestyle myself, from what I understand of it. No problem! But I have a question as well. My husband and I are Caucasian Christian conservative retirees from Pennsylvania. We lived in Alabama for 10 years, then moved to Costa Rica to live more cheaply. If we return to the States, I would like to settle in Idaho. The lake-effect Pennsylvania winters were brutal, and the summers hot and humid. I love the four seasons, and would like to find a simple town to live in where I can walk my German Shepherd, perhaps kayak in the summer, and do some volunteer work ( I am a retired RN hospice nurse, last job with veterans at the VA). I have been warned about "stinky Lewiston", and I want to stay away from the SE portion of the state, anywhere near the toxic nuclear lab. I don't mind cold weather, but I don't want to live where we would have feet and feet of snow, and hot humid simmers are a killer! Areas near Coeur d Alene sound appealing. We are by no means wealthy. Thanks for any wisdom out there!

Old 11-07-2016, 11:07 AM

69 posts, read 69,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
Hello All! Wow, lots of rather political commentary here! I am not at all fond of the California lifestyle myself, from what I understand of it. No problem! But I have a question as well. My husband and I are Caucasian Christian conservative retirees from Pennsylvania. We lived in Alabama for 10 years, then moved to Costa Rica to live more cheaply. If we return to the States, I would like to settle in Idaho. The lake-effect Pennsylvania winters were brutal, and the summers hot and humid. I love the four seasons, and would like to find a simple town to live in where I can walk my German Shepherd, perhaps kayak in the summer, and do some volunteer work ( I am a retired RN hospice nurse, last job with veterans at the VA). I have been warned about "stinky Lewiston", and I want to stay away from the SE portion of the state, anywhere near the toxic nuclear lab. I don't mind cold weather, but I don't want to live where we would have feet and feet of snow, and hot humid simmers are a killer! Areas near Coeur d Alene sound appealing. We are by no means wealthy. Thanks for any wisdom out there!
I grew up in SW PA and lived in the Mid Atlantic for 30+ years so I hear ya about the humid summers! We are retiring just a bit north of CDA.

CDA sounds like a good fit for you and Spokane has a VA hospital.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:31 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,900,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtmill View Post
Oh darn, you may have to worry about that in North Idaho too because of Hanford and some possible health issues regarding the superfund sites near CD'A.

Old 11-14-2016, 10:07 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Oh darn, you may have to worry about that in North Idaho too because of Hanford and some possible health issues regarding the superfund sites near CD'A.
Glad you posted this Syringaloid. What's really interesting is to measure the miles to the Nuclear reactors in Canada from NID!

I'll leave it there for now except to say when people write about what INL does or doesn't do, know your facts.. INL pays for too much in Idaho for myths to be repeated, not based on science.

I have no problem if people are anxious about living around nuclear power plants. Find somewhere else, but document your scientific facts vs. repeating rumors or inaccurate information.

Nice catch

MSR

Old 11-24-2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
I was not aware of the Superfund site near CDA! I just did a bit of reading on it. I am mainly concerned with the air and water quality. Thank you for the info.

Old 11-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Glad you posted this Syringaloid. What's really interesting is to measure the miles to the Nuclear reactors in Canada from NID!

I'll leave it there for now except to say when people write about what INL does or doesn't do, know your facts.. INL pays for too much in Idaho for myths to be repeated, not based on science.

I have no problem if people are anxious about living around nuclear power plants. Find somewhere else, but document your scientific facts vs. repeating rumors or inaccurate information.

Nice catch

MSR
I am in the research stage at this point. Thank you for the info. My main concern is air and water quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho