Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 9,954 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to the Coeur d'Alene area; what are some of the differences between C D A and Post Falls?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 12:41 AM

2,417 posts, read 3,251,881 times
Its a bigger town than Post Falls, if that is what you are looking for?
I read a interesting story on how the dam at post falls affects the lake water at Coeur d'Alene?

https://www.avistautilities.com/comm...ene%20Lake.pdf

Post Falls in located between Spokane, Washington (population 500,000) and Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho (population 40,000), making it a very convenient location for commuting into Spokane but still living in Idaho and enjoying what it has to offer.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:57 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
These are just my impressions from multiple visits learning about the area and determining to where I will retire next year. Post Falls is a 'bedroom community'. There is no real 'downtown', central core, (at least that I've been able to find). Housing is generally newer and slightly less costly. Post Falls has the river. CdA on the other hand is the center of the Rathdrum Prairie, (economically and culturally). There is a real 'downtown'. Housing is generally older. CdA has the lake, which is a huge draw. One goes to visit and do 'stuff' in CdA, they go to sleep in Post Falls. As Scott says, if your job is in Spokane, Post Falls is a lot closer for commuting.

My realtor wants me to consider relocating in Post Falls, (I mean, to not discount it from consideration). However, other than down near the river, it just doesn't have any draw for me. It's just there. Not really bad in any way, but not 'exciting' either. Cost of housing does seem to be less than other places in the area, (for what you get). My realtor lives there and likes it. Says the schools are pretty good.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:54 AM

271 posts, read 390,177 times
PF is more family friendly/oriented, closer to Spokane, and is still 10 mins from CDA. CDA is more urban, busy, and more variety of lifestyles. They are so close together that the only other thing that keeps them from being seamlessly connected is the interstate rest area on I-90 which takes up a 3-4 mile stretch between them. I would say they have almost connected by growing together around it. Culturally, while there may not be a huge diff, I'd say CDA is more CA and PF more TX.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:12 AM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
What was said before is all correct. From a Real Estate standpoint, post falls has a higher tax rate because of the river. Depending on what home you are looking for, there are many diverse neighborhoods, old and new. My only negative out there is the wind, it is constant.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:42 AM

291 posts, read 438,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaner View Post
My only negative out there is the wind, it is constant.
.... which is relative, the house some friends and I rented in the Table Mesa community of South Boulder had a Plexiglas living room window that wasn't very clear from being sand blasted all the time. The owner put in Plexiglas because he got tired of paying to replace regular glass window so often. I haven't been here in the winter time but for me, I don't think it will compare to other places I've lived, parts of Colorado and Alaska for example.

All of the towns and areas seem to have there own flavor, visiting is pretty good idea. Then rent for a year if you can and then decide to buy.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:06 AM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
I grew up in Post Falls and loved it when we lived there but that in the 90's before it grew more and was so spread out.

Post Falls is unique. It is 28 square miles and so diverse from one area to another. There is no real 'downtown' or central area of Post Falls. There are really nice areas then 'ghettos' a block away. The newer subdivision's are nice but then you have to pay HOA fees and the higher tax rate in Post Falls than Coeur d'Alene.

We moved from Post Falls to Coeur d'Alene and now that we live in Coeur d'Alene it makes Post Falls have a totally different feel when we go there. I still love the town but it is definitely more of a "bedroom community" for Spokane/CDA.

We love Coeur d'Alene but make sure to research what the HOA rules and fees may be in the particular area you are looking to buy. Some of them are ridiculous and totally precluded us from buying that neigborhood. A good realtor should have all that information handy for you.

I would avoid the area south of the freeway and east of 95 in Coeur d'Alene, especially the 15th and Sherman to 21st and Sherman area. The transient and "undocumented" population down there leads to a high occurence of crime and drug usage. There is a reason Coeur d'Alene Police put in a substation down there. It is sad because there are a lot of nice old houses down there, but personally growing up in the area I would never consider buying a house in that area of Coeur d'Alene.

The Dalton Gardens area up North 4th can be a great area and the main subdivision such as CDA Place, Hawks Nest, etc are nice.
I think it is Sunshine Meadows but not totally sure if that is correct.. but there is a very high rate of rental houses in that subdivision which sadly has resulted in a lot of problems with petty offenses and just not the pride in ownership. Again your realtor should be able to inform you if the particular neighborhood you are looking at is primarily rental houses or owner occupied.

When we were searching for a house we had a hard time with Realtors and we used the USAA movers advantage. They supposedly assigned us 'the best realtor' in the area..which was very untrue. This was after our first realtor showed us houses on Friday and set up more houses to show us on a Saturday. Saturday came and their office calls and states she has moved to a different agency so we could not see those houses... We fired that agency and I wish we would have had time to interview realtors because we ended up doing all the research and the work. Then had to wait a minimum of half and hour at each house we were scheduled to see because our realtor was late.. okay rant over because that's a different topic, but my point is interview your realtor and find a good one.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:11 AM

804 posts, read 2,891,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disciple1975 View Post
PF is more family friendly/oriented, closer to Spokane, and is still 10 mins from CDA. CDA is more urban, busy, and more variety of lifestyles. They are so close together that the only other thing that keeps them from being seamlessly connected is the interstate rest area on I-90 which takes up a 3-4 mile stretch between them. I would say they have almost connected by growing together around it. Culturally, while there may not be a huge diff, I'd say CDA is more CA and PF more TX.

I would respectfully disagree that PF is more family friendly now that we live in CDA. They are both great towns don't get me wrong.

I love the variety of CDA and we basically don't have to leave CDA for almost anything we need. I can also be in my tree stand hunting 15 minutes from leaving my front door.

Coeur d'alene is very touristy (i think i made up a word) but if you are a local and get away from downtown you get the same hometown feel as anywhere else.

Both would be a great choice including Dalton Garden, Hayden, or Rathdrum. They all have their little niches and just be sure to do proper research for the area you are interested in.

If you have more specific location questions please post them.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:56 AM

1,875 posts, read 1,325,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnofish View Post
I would respectfully disagree that PF is more family friendly now that we live in CDA. They are both great towns don't get me wrong.

I love the variety of CDA and we basically don't have to leave CDA for almost anything we need. I can also be in my tree stand hunting 15 minutes from leaving my front door.

Coeur d'alene is very touristy (i think i made up a word) but if you are a local and get away from downtown you get the same hometown feel as anywhere else.

Both would be a great choice including Dalton Garden, Hayden, or Rathdrum. They all have their little niches and just be sure to do proper research for the area you are interested in.

If you have more specific location questions please post them.

thanks for all the info..

however when you say "CDA" are you referring to strictly the downtown area?

Old 10-17-2015, 01:27 PM

446 posts, read 708,867 times
Post Falls is a series of very small strip malls, a few bad restaurants, a Wal-Mart, a nice gun range. There's really very little there. No 'main street', no 'downtown', no 'major shopping center'.

As Getrude Stein said of Sausalito 'There's no 'there' there'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho