Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2015, 08:11 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,404,249 times

Advertisements

Whooo-
Volosong, you sure tooks some chances on that drive!

Be glad you didn't make it past New Meadows on 95. I once drove it in a bad stormy spell and the car threw a rod halfway to Riggins. If the car hadn't stopped across the highway from a farm house, the friend I was with and I could have both been in some severe trouble! We didn't know 95 had been closed hours before at New Meadows, and at Lewiston at the other end.

It sure doesn't take a car very long to become as cold as an icebox in a big nighttime storm. The memory of the hours we spent waiting are still very vivid 50 years later in my mind. A brave wrecker chained up his rig and towed us to Lewiston, but it took him several hours to reach us. Knowing there was shelter across the road was the only reason we took the chance of trying to find someone to tow us. THe kind folks didn't want us to go wait in the car, but it was snowing so hard we were afraid the wrecker would miss us unless he saw the headlights in the blizzard.

I'm very glad you made it, but I always take any road closure very seriously. While that trip mentioned was probably became the most dangerous of all the winter driving I've done, there were many others that could have ended up in disaster, and once all traffic has been stopped, you can be mighty alone and mighty far from any help of any kind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2015, 11:30 PM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Volo, so glad you made it in one piece! I know those roads well enough to be able to imagine your frustration, even though I haven't traveled them in that kind of weather. Schweitzer should be great, with all the snow they've been getting.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:15 AM

7,386 posts, read 12,689,597 times
Volo, be sure to pick up a copy of Sandpoint Magazine. It's free, and on display in most of the bigger stores in Sandpoint. There's a nice little piece about local bicycling in it.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:20 AM

6,358 posts, read 7,783,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Whooo-
Volosong, you sure tooks some chances on that drive!
Not to worry, guys. I had extra jackets, a down blanket, chains, and enough food to feed a platoon for a week. Everybody is so considerate up here in the PacNW that if you don't feel like driving very fast, nobody gets bent out of shape. I drove within my limits.

Unfortunately, I didn't make it up to Sandpoint. Took the turnoff to Farragut State Park and discovered that they had groomed the XC trails, so I spent the day there. That place is awesome! It's definitely going to become one of my favorite hangouts.

Would have loved to grab a copy of that magazine. On my previous visit with my lady friend a few months ago, she really, really liked Sandpoint when we visited and wants me to strongly consider relocating there instead of on the Rathdrum Prairie. What I've discovered on this trip is that it would be a mistake to purchase something right away when I come here, but instead should rent for a year and do some exploring to really get a flavor for the region.

Afterward skiing, I went on a photo safari in Bayview and talked at length with one of the locals. He did his best to convince me to seriously consider moving to Bayview. Even urged me to bring my sailboat up when I move and moor it there, (I think he owned the marina. He said the lake outlook/viewpoint outisde town was named after his grandfather.) Pretty nice fellow. Was quite honest about the recent history of the town and why it is dying.

- - - edited to add - - -

re: Sandpoint Magazine. It's available on-line. Thanks for the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho