Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 02:03 PM

719 posts, read 1,567,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnynrat View Post
^This.

I think a place with 4 seasons and real winters is better than a mild Mediterranean environment with no weather to speak of. Many (most?) people think we are crazy to move from SoCal to north Idaho for our retirement solely based on the climate difference. We couldn't be happier making that change.

Dave
The "real" winters in Idaho are in central or eastern Idaho. The main difference between winter in Boise versus CDL or Moscow is that there's more precipitation and it's darker in the latter areas - temperatures are pretty comparable. The difference in weather in the peak of summer is much more pronounced.

The weather in Boise is a lot like Central Oregon, and I think it's pretty tough to beat.

Brilliant thread, OP - I can't believe I got sucked into replying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 02:09 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaD View Post
The "real" winters in Idaho are in central or eastern Idaho. The main difference between winter in Boise versus CDL or Moscow is that there's more precipitation and it's darker in the latter areas - temperatures are pretty comparable. The difference in weather in the peak of summer is much more pronounced.

The weather in Boise is a lot like Central Oregon, and I think it's pretty tough to beat.

Its 10 degrees in Moscow right now. Several inches of snow. Winters feeling kinda real.

(I actually agree with the gist of your message tho)

Old 12-31-2015, 02:37 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
Quote:

I think anywhere that gets an average of 70"+ of snow and where average wintertime lows are in the 20's has real winters, so I think north Idaho easily qualifies as having real winters.

Personally, I'd choose north Idaho because the summer temps in the Boise area are too hot for my taste.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
I think anywhere that gets an average of 70"+ of snow and where average wintertime lows are in the 20's has real winters, so I think north Idaho easily qualifies as having real winters.

Personally, I'd choose north Idaho because the summer temps in the Boise area are too hot for my taste.
To be fair, what counts as "real" is a subjective thing. I have some family in Stanley that would probably scoff at the notion that anywhere in north Idaho has real winters.

The snowfall is greater up north compared to Boise cause there's no moisture, but the temps are pretty comparable to what Boise gets. I do think Boise's winter tends to be shorter, with an earlier spring and a latter fall.

Weather in both areas is generally really nice compared to what much of the country gets, imo. The heat in the southeast or the cold in the upper midwest are far more extreme.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:09 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
Weather in both areas is generally really nice compared to what much of the country gets, imo. The heat in the southeast or the cold in the upper midwest are far more extreme.
I live in eastern Iowa. Our winters usually average anywhere from the low 20s, teens, and single digits with a week or so of below 0, but the sun usually comes out every couple of days or so. Anything above 20 degrees I consider a heat wave. This year we've been lucky so far. Are you saying winter temps in the CdA and eastern Idaho area are more into the double digits on average? Anyone with personal experience with both Iowa and Idaho winters? Thanks.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I live in eastern Iowa. Our winters usually average anywhere from the low 20s, teens, and single digits with a week or so of below 0, but the sun usually comes out every couple of days or so. Anything above 20 degrees I consider a heat wave. This year we've been lucky so far. Are you saying winter temps in the CdA and eastern Idaho area are more into the double digits on average? Anyone with personal experience with both Iowa and Idaho winters? Thanks.
I would bet Iowa has considerably colder winters than CDA. Eastern Idaho gets pretty cold so that may be more comparable.

Old 12-31-2015, 06:27 PM

2,395 posts, read 3,011,522 times
I've spent a lot of time in eastern Iowa over the past 17 years. I retired a couple weeks ago from a company who has it's HQ in Cedar Rapids. Winters there are much colder than in north Idaho in my experience.

But by comparison with anywhere in the southern half of the country, both Iowa and Idaho have "real winters."

Dave

Old 12-31-2015, 11:23 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
To be fair, what counts as "real" is a subjective thing. I have some family in Stanley that would probably scoff at the notion that anywhere in north Idaho has real winters.
In Stanley, I heard from residents that Stanley and another town in Minnesota have the coldest winters in Continental US. It may have been your family I've spoken to -- Stanley's population is 62 year-round. This is pretty wild.

Tell them bonfire Henry (from NYC) quoted them on C-D, and he says hello. Happy New Year!!

Old 01-01-2016, 01:14 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Stanley is the most gorgeous place in Idaho and probably rivals Jackson Hole in scenery. However, the winters are also some of the coldest of anywhere in the world. I hear it can average -60F some parts of the year. It gets so cold that you have to defrost the pipes in your house to prevent them from freezing and exploding, I have been told.

As far as CDA vs Boise.. I have spent time in both, but have not spent any significant time in CDA as far as wining and dining, but have spent some time in Sandpoint.

Beauty: CDA blows Boise out of the water, with the lush vegetation, giant lakes and streams. Boise has barren foothills and is in a large irrigated valley. Maybe, I got spoiled growing up in the lush and green forested mountains of Oregon. However, in my opinion, Boise really does not offer much in scenery. Some people do like sagebrush, barren rolling hills and that is to be respected to. It is just not my personal preference.

Shopping: Boise now has stores like Whole Foods, Boise Coop, Boise Town Center, as well as every box store you can think about. Boise easily wins as far as shopping, grocery stores, etc are concerned. Now, if we want to add Spokane into mix, I still feel Boise comes out on top. Spokane seems to be a very depressed town and for a city it size really has minimal offerings in shopping amenities and its still a little drive from Coeur d'Alene.

Culture: People in North Idaho seem more like traditional Pacific Northwest people, a bit reserved and libertarian. North Idaho seems like where Eastern Washington meets Montana in culture. Oh wait, that is exactly where it is Boise does have that bit of Northwest reservedness, but it also seems to have a mix of Utah, Orange County and Nebraska thrown into hte mix. I've found native Southern Idaho people very friendly. The only uptight people I meet in Boise are the Californian transplants, who take that mentality with them. However, the Californians in Boise area are much more Orange Countyish, so a step up from your uber-liberal Bay Area or Los Angeles kind of Californians.

Weather: I only lived in Boise a year and I hated the weather at first because I came in Summer. Then, I realized every house in Boise is equipped with A/C, unlike Oregon and Washington, where you sweat and suffer in the heat. Also, the humidity is so low in Boise, that I started to become acclimated to the 95 F days. A 98F day in Boise actually feels cooler than a muggy 87F day in Seattle or Portland. Boise's weather seemed top notch. The winters were cold, but dry and the high elevation just seem to make it feel warmer . I was outside in my t-shirt in January drinking coffee in like 30F weather and was not cold. I lived in Pullman for a year which had weather similar to Coeur d'Alene and I will tell you I dread that horrible weather. Yeah, you get a short 2-3 month summer, but the long dark cold grey 5 month winter can be miserable. It depends on the year, some years winters are more mild than others.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:21 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
Quote:
I've spent a lot of time in eastern Iowa over the past 17 years. I retired a couple weeks ago from a company who has it's HQ in Cedar Rapids. Winters there are much colder than in north Idaho in my experience.

But by comparison with anywhere in the southern half of the country, both Iowa and Idaho have "real winters."

Dave

Thanks for reinforcing my suspicions ... it means much more to hear it from someone's own personal experience.

Congratulations on your retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho