Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 02:17 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times

Advertisements

I think the one thing all Idahoans have the hardest time with is the length of our winters.
They can start very early; often by the middle of October, and can last well into mid-May. The cold comes before the snow, most often, but it's very common to have some early snow in September and late snow in May. That snow never lasts for long, but they always come with a cold snap that can last for a week or more.

There was one particularly long winter around 1986 I still remember; it froze hard on Oct. 4th, and it never rose above freezing for more than a day until the following Easter. It wasn't a particularly snowy year, but it was one that had a lot of overcast all winter.
By the first of April, my family and I were all coming down with a terminal cast of cabin fever, so I packed us all up and went down to Zion Natl. Park for an Easter vacation, where the weather was about 40 degrees warmer and everything was blooming.
It did wonders for us. When we returned, we found the eternal winter had finally broken up here at last, so we didn't return to the bitter cold we left a few days before.

That's how it has always been here. No one can ever say just when winter will set in, or how cold it will be. The 21st century had a very long spell of warm dry winters with more rain than snow, but there has always been a rough 10-year cycle of open winters and snowy winters.

The last cycle seems to have ended in 2015, which was a more typical snow year, and last year winter came very late, after a Thanksgiving blizzard that didn't stick, with a Christmas blizzard that did stick and was followed by heavy snow all winter long.

But the temps last year weren't as cold on the average as many have been. The cold does wear on a person, and when there's little snow on the ground, the cold is even colder.

But that's life in the intermountain west. I once spent the last day of June at a wedding party, under a big tent, watching the snow fall all day long in Montana. Cold and snow are a part of life here and always have been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2017, 02:42 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,288,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think the one thing all Idahoans have the hardest time with is the length of our winters. They can start very early; often by the middle of October, and can last well into mid-May. The cold comes before the snow, most often, but it's very common to have some early snow in September and late snow in May. That snow never lasts for long, but they always come with a cold snap that can last for a week or more.
By the first of April, my family and I were all coming down with a terminal cast of cabin fever, so I packed us all up and went down to Zion Natl. Park for an Easter vacation, where the weather was about 40 degrees warmer and everything was blooming. It did wonders for us. When we returned, we found the eternal winter had finally broken up here at last, so we didn't return to the bitter cold we left a few days before....

But that's life in the intermountain west....Cold and snow are a part of life here and always have been.
^^ everything BM said.

I also second the idea of the Winter vacation. In fact, for planning purposes, why not budget two Winter getaways to AZ/UT. Flights are reasonable nowadays and the cost of living down there is not bad.

If you do it twice a year and live nicely, you are dropping $3k a winter for a couple. Multiply by 20. $60K over 20 years.

Then for six months, you have pure bliss here. the other three is a combination of winter and tourists.

Hard to beat.

S.

Old 09-22-2017, 03:58 PM

I know lots of natives who become snowbirds for a month or so and go to warmer climes around the first of February.

Some own those trailer park specials- travel trailers that are designed more to be parked most of the time, like a mobile home than hitched behind a pickup and rolling over the road. Many own time-share condo spaces and stuff like that, too.

My own brother wants to be a snowbird these days, but so far, not me. I still like it when it's blistering cold and blindingly sunny at the same time here. Can't say for how much longer I'm gonna love it though... sure spent a lot of time hunkered close to the fire last winter, and never got out any played hard in the big snow like I used to.

A winter like last year's was always one that would find me outside more than inside when I was younger, but age is catching up, as it always does.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:41 PM

247 posts, read 196,740 times
Another thing I can add that is irrefutable is that by March, there is a noticibke part of the population that is grumpy, depressed, and desperate to see the sun and some warmer weather.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagle Sam 2016 View Post
Another thing I can add that is irrefutable is that by March, there is a noticibke part of the population that is grumpy, depressed, and desperate to see the sun and some warmer weather.
"Tis very true! Nothing like that first 60* day!

Old 09-23-2017, 02:54 AM

On a suprisingly hot day one spring, I was working outside and felt very strange.

I realized I was sweating for the first time in months.

Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
I didnt think the winters were bad at all. It never seemed as harsh as the temperature implied.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:10 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,746,219 times
The worst thing about winter for me is the shortness of the days. We are really far north up here and though we have gloriously long summer days, We pay for it with the daylight fading at around 3:30 in December. That is the absolute worst thing for me in winter.
I started putting up Christmas lights earlier and leaving them on longer to combat the gloom.

They go up November 3rd this year. We have just taken to calling them winter lights rather than Christmas lights.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:58 PM

smart--to use the indoor lights for that. Our current house was much darker and stuffier. We added a couple of windows, converted a bunch of fixed to sliders and single hung, and increased the size of the front door and light. Shutters instead of curtains. Makes a huge diff.

It is worth thinking about other ways to combat the gloom along your lines.

Old 10-09-2017, 05:42 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
I've noticed that my house in Rathdrum, (new construction), is pretty dark once the sun moves from the east to the south, (about 9:30 or 10:00). I think I can "fix" that by having several solar lights installed. Two in the kitchen and one in the laundry room.

Hopefully, that will brighten up things, but with the short days and cloud cover, maybe not. Worth a try. It's silly to have to turn on the lights in the middle of the morning because it is so dark inside. Dumb design. The builders really need a woman on their design staff.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho