Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 10:20 AM

16 posts, read 46,087 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
I am actually a little nervous writing since I have spent the whole week reading so many threads on here regarding relocation to Idaho from California. Yes, I am from California and NO my husband and I are not happy living here. I see that some do not want people from California to move there but then I see that it seems so many Californian's do live there. As I read I understand about the worry of California people moving there because it is the reason for my husband and I to move our family away from California....it's the fake people, not friendly, "look at me attitude" and so expensive etc....you wouldn't want that. BUT...as I read about Coeur d'Alene I am reading how wonderful it is...how beautiful, how you can actually drive down the street and you get waved at..if you you are broken down someone actually does stop to help. I worry for my kids here and I just want for my family to have a slow paced life...not the hustle and bustle and just enjoy life instead of worrying all the time...that being said, I know it isn't perfect and I'm not looking for perfect I just want my family, especially my kids, to be raised in a town that actually is like the Hallmark movies, hahaha, I know sounds so childish but I couldn't be more serious. My cousin (yay, family is already there) moved there last year and absolutely loves it. Has said nothing but GREAT things and says "It's God's country sis, you got to live here you'll love it"!!! So we are going to visit soon. This is my worry so I was wondering if some of you could help out with some advice........it is work for my husband. My husband has been in the wire and cable business for 20 years now, knows it like the back of his hand. He is going to look online for work of course but I have read a lot of threads stating that employment isn't great at all and that commuting to Spokane would be the best, is that true??? Just curious. We do know about not making as much, we don't care about the starting off with less pay but don't want to stress either on employment. We are not lazy people and if I have to find a part time job I'm okay with that completely I guess I'm just wanting feed back on what to do to make things go smoothly. I'm ready to just be around humble people instead of walking on egg shells all the time. Thank you so much in advance. Hope I explained myself okay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 12:57 PM

181 posts, read 270,404 times
Default Idaho

I wouldn't worry about what people think where you moved from. That's what America and freedom is all about, you can move anywhere you want to. No one is a native of any state, everyone came from somewhere. Even the American Native tribes came across the ice bridge from Asia and Russia to the North American Continent.

I would say just don't bring the CA baggage if you have any. After awhile I'm sure you'll become a person of Idaho.

I am also in CA (retired Marine Corps), but I'm selling my house and moving to Northern Idaho before the summer. Idaho is more of a life style for me than CA is.

Old 01-04-2016, 06:58 PM

We are very down to earth people, I know we will fit right in ha perhaps just get Idaho plates ASAP, I'm kidding
Our baggage will be left, Thank you so much for the response, appreciate it.

Old 01-04-2016, 09:08 PM

3,109 posts, read 10,835,426 times
People here like to hate on Californians...but 90% of it is good-spirited jesting. Probably 30-40% of the people we know here came from out of state in the past 10-40 years. So even our pastor will joke about "those dang Californians" but we don't hate them...and I AM one of them (retired LA County cop).

Move here, assimilate, become a laid back neighbor-helping Idahoan...you'll do fine.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM

Thanks Sage!!! Do you mind me asking about employment? That was my main concern, of course we are searching and will be smart to have something lined up but how easy is it really to find a job? Is Spokane the way to go and commute? Thank you again in advance

Old 01-05-2016, 10:56 AM

679 posts, read 811,711 times
I too have considered CDA and everyone I talked to from there says to visit it in the winter. Summers are beautiful but the rest of year can be overcast. Some don't deal well with that.

I've been in Idaho almost 20 years now, and I am still considered a outsider to some. Big deal, I made the change and never looked back.

Welcome to Idaho!

Old 01-05-2016, 01:21 PM

294 posts, read 544,059 times
Never make a decision about moving in the summer or after the death of a relative.

Old 01-05-2016, 02:10 PM

820 posts, read 1,738,864 times
Time warner was hiring installers lately, they are a good company to work for, and once they become charter, they will be even better. Visiting in winter is a great idea, we are the mountains, so we are overcast in the winter, although the last couple days have been sunny and amazing.

If you need any help with housing ideas or questions, shoot me a pm. Welcome!

Old 01-06-2016, 08:14 PM

356 posts, read 520,285 times
We are California refugees. We've been here almost 5 years and do not regret it. At all.

Jobs can be a big issue, though, and factor in commute time during difficult conditions when you decide where to land. It has not been a particular issue for us, though, as Daddy Lion is retired and I telecommute.

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javatom View Post
Never make a decision about moving in the summer or after the death of a relative.
That's truly good advice, Tom!
If you really want to know if a new place is right for you, especially here, the very best time to take a first look is during the winter or early spring.

This is a high, cold, mountain state. If you love it then, you will surely love it in the summer.

I might add it's not wise to move somewhere totally unknown after a divorce either.

I've known lots of folks who have moved here in that situation, and unless a person is really social, mixes easily with strangers, and has a good job waiting, moving during the most emotional and depressing time other than someone's death is not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho