Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,215,352 times

Advertisements

As an ex Utahan, I never had a problem with the Mormons, but I lived in Moab that was turning more left everyday; thus one of the reasons I left since the area was being destroyed by their ideas. (MY opinion!)

And reading the UT forum there are a lot of people asking about living in smaller UT cities and how they and their children will be treated by LDS and there is a lot of negativity in regard to how they could be treated. And I have a friend who is from the Cedar City area, and he is the first to say, in small UT towns, you will not be included in a lot of functions unless you belong.

But to get back on subject....

You might want to look at some of the towns around the Pocatello area that will allow you to commute into Pocatello for work. You have basically all the necessities in Pocatello such as Walmart, Cosco, CAL ranch, Lowes, Home Depot and coming soon Hobby Lobby and Popeyes chicken.

Can't answer if there are any LE or security jobs in the area, and only vet facility which I believe is a small facility on the south side of town.

You could also look at the American Falls area since due to I86, is not far from Pocatello or the big shopping areas.

I do have a LDS church down the street and yes, I was getting hassled on a monthly basis with the knock on the door; but a few months ago, I put them on record to not come back again and let their buddies know. Plus I posted some signs on the door and it worked great. But can't speak for how the kids might be welcomed since that is one thing I no longer have.

Good luck on where ever you end up....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 03:14 PM

12 posts, read 11,228 times
Thank you much for your feedback f5fstop. It is appreciated. I will look into Pocatello. I came here to get positive feedback and am thankful for your honesty. Any other actual feedback about great, bad, ok areas is greatly welcomed.

Old 01-19-2016, 04:13 PM

742 posts, read 1,122,967 times
Don't worry about the religion thing; worry about jobs.

In Idaho, jobs are first, last and everything in between.

By the way, if you kids get to a certain age and like to party, they'll instantly befriend the LDS kids. Speaking from experience, the craziest and worst partiers in high school were the LDS kids.

Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,387,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandalsLOL View Post
Don't worry about the religion thing; worry about jobs.

In Idaho, jobs are first, last and everything in between.

By the way, if you kids get to a certain age and like to party, they'll instantly befriend the LDS kids. Speaking from experience, the craziest and worst partiers in high school were the LDS kids.
Vandals,

I couldn't agree with you more. One of my points in an earlier post was about employment in small areas. Employment security is what is needed by anyone who moves, then other wants can be addressed. F5f may have a good suggestion about American Falls, but I think jobs would be in Pocatello or Chubbuck. I don't know the round trip mileage. Any guesses, f5f? Power County is about 7 or 8K on the 2014 census.

I'd say INL with all the new programs coming, but a small enough area to live would be Butte County and I can't recommend that as it was the county losing population the fastest. Very likely that will change as INL is hoping to add another 500-650 jobs by fall. That on top of 500 new ones last year, some will be moving to Butte County.

Or maybe Rupert, but I don't know the job situation there.

Vandals, if you didn't see it click the link I posted on page 1. Cool to see that happening.

Great story, Vandals

MSR

Old 01-19-2016, 05:19 PM

140 posts, read 123,737 times
Come to Idaho you will be welcomed here.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:41 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,215,352 times
Twenty minutes from downtown (if you can call it a downtown) American Falls to I-86 and Yellowstone ave. That's basically the shopping district that is primarily in Chubbuck, but is just across the street from Pocatello. Add another ten minutes to downtown Pocatello and the University.

MSR is right, probably a lot more chances for LE jobs in Pocatello/Chubbuck area, with not only the local police and/or the sheriff, but also the ISU campus police that can be used as a jumping point to city or country LE jobs.

Also, as an ex vet you might want to see if there are any government jobs in the area or other areas of ID (or AZ if that is the final decision). Since ID is number two on the list for most Federal lands percentage in the US; there are a lot of government jobs. BLM has a district office in ID falls and a field office in Pocatello.

Also a district office in Twin Falls and a field office I know in Shoshone ID (maybe more). And I know the ID BLM district office is also in the same building with the forest service as is the Pocatello office.

And there are talks about a large National Monument north of here, which means it will most likely fall under BLM (might be NPS); hopefully if it ever happens it is the BLM.

As a vet, you have hiring priority with the government....
So check out https://www.usajobs.gov/

As for hunting, per the hunters I have met, it is a great state for hunting. I don't hunt anymore since the Federal government took away my authority so no personal experience.

But I'll say one thing, I looked seriously at AZ prior to retiring to ID and they are very different states. Northern AZ, in the higher altitudes are quite nice, but generally very expensive. The desert areas in the eastern part of the state are, in my opinion, too plain, and I actually love deserts. The only large city I found to be nice in AZ is Tucson, but an expensive place to live. Phoenix and the suburbs are just too crowded, again my opinion.

But most of the cities in the south and eastern parts of ID are just hours away from mountains and some fantastic camp grounds and scenery (Stanley ID is just four hours away from Pocatello), and if these are not enough, the wind river area of WY is just three hours away, Yellowstone about 2.5 hours, etc. It is a great state to get away for a weekend or weeks and just relax. One of the main reasons I moved here.

And the property values are low (in this area) as compared to some other states, with low property taxes. Income taxes...that's another story, but not the worse in the country by all means.

Electric and gas rates are very low compared to states I have lived in.

Last edited by f5fstop; 01-19-2016 at 06:56 PM..

Old 01-19-2016, 08:06 PM

29,183 posts, read 22,199,322 times
Hi, Vet…
The thing is; the smaller the town, the more likely any child may have a hard time if they don't belong to the dominant religion, no matter what the religion is.

It's true that Mormons in small towns that are close to 100% LDS that the kids may be excluded to some degree, but the exact same truth will be found in the Bible belt, all the strongly Catholic cities in the upper mid-west, all the highly Lutheran cities where the Germans settled, etc. In all, the church always serves as much as a social center as a religious center. It's often the only center in town for the purpose.

I'm not LDS, but I'm a native and was raised among them. I live in Idaho Falls, which has a lot of LDS; this area was originally settled by them, the Baptists and the Presbyterians. All have had churches here from the very beginning, and none of the folks I know, young or old, ever had any exclusion troubles at all.

There are a lot of social activities that go on in the LDS churches; they have social organizations for members of every age and gender, but a person does not need to be a member to join almost all of them. My daughter joined a Catholic Brownie troop when she was little, and one son joined an LDS Cub Scout troop. Neither were excluded, and neither had any pressure put on them to join the respective church where the meetings were held.

If, for example, you wife would like to join a quilting club, and if you choose a small, mostly LDS town, she would be welcomed. She might not understand some of the conversation between the other ladies, but she wouldn't be ostracized.

There are some social organizations the LDS don't join. The Masonic Lodge is one, but there are others, like the Elks and Eagles, where LDS join alongside folks of other faiths, and once a member, they are Elks, just like all the others.

In school, your kids would probably be as confused as your wife when they heard about Primary activities going on in the local ward, but they wouldn't be outcasts by any means. If your kids used California slang, that might cause some criticism from other kids, though, especially stuff like hand signs or other stuff kids do down there. If you and your kids have a heavy accent of some kind, that, too, may be criticized by the local kids.

That's how kids are everywhere. Fitting in is always rough at first, period. It can't be avoided, especially in a small town. If you chose to live in one of our larger cities, this wouldn't be much of a problem.

A person doesn't need to actually live in many of our cities to be able to send the children to schools in them. Bonneville county, my county, extends in part all the way northeast to the Wyoming border, almost 80 miles away, and southeast to the Bingham county border, about 40 miles. Within that area, anyone living on a farm still sends their children to schools here. I'm sure other districts are similar.

One other important thing to consider: Here, the Mormon faith is very old and established. Like any other faith, there are as many of them who don't attend church regularly as in others, members who haven't gone to church at all, and the true-blue believers whose lives center around their church.
Despite what you may believe, there are lots of Mormons who drink alcohol and coffee, swear like sailors, chew tobacco, and are generally non-religious. Just like other faiths. And they are everywhere, throughout Idaho.

Utah is the same. Wyoming is the same. W. Montana is the same. The Mormons settled early in all of them, just as they did in northern California.

If you move here, you'll find it out for yourself soon enough. One thing not to expect is trying to make them fit into your expectations that you will naturally bring with you. They won't. It will be up to you to bend, not them. And that is also true everywhere here. Our culture in general here is different from California, and both have their own goods and bads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho