Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 09:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,191 times

Advertisements

I'm considering relocating to the Soda Springs area, I want some opinions of the quality of the schools in the area I don't think I want to commute from pocatello but would concider the other small towns near Soda Springs if the schools are significantly better. (my children are both elementary age)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 08:45 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
Soda Springs is a mini-metro of its own; its a small town, but large enough to supply even smaller towns all around it.
I think the best info you could get would be from the Soda Springs website:

Soda Springs, Idaho *

This would be a good start, anyway. From there, you could learn how to contact the local school district for some statistics, schools, class sizes, etc.

In general, Idaho's education took a steep fall in 2006 when school funding was re-directed, then was followed by 8 years of terrible mismanagement by the states Director of Schools, who spent a lot of our money creating a sweeping overhaul that was finally rejected by a state voter's petition on the matter. The citizens rejected all 3 of the laws that pertained to the drastic change, and the Director didn't run again for the position. We now have a better Director, and our need for improvement is now a hot political issue.

Now, Idaho is re-funding, but we are still not at the 2009 level, the last year when our school system was adequately funded, but not as well as it was before 2006.
We probably won't reach the 2009 level for at least one more year or more, as our legislature is very conservative and doesn't like to spend money on anything very much.
Naturally, this has affected the quality of our education system a lot. The state government is trying to reverse this, and it will change, but it will take time. How much time is anyone's guess right now.

Not all the school districts in the state are equally bad by a long shot. Some are very good, and the size of the district is not a general indicator of the quality of the education in it.

If you click on City-Data's home page, on the top left of your screen, you will find a lot of extended info on Idaho there. This would be a pretty good place, I guess, to start comparisons. We don't have any regular members here on the Idaho forum who live in Soda, but once in a while, someone will drop in with a reply. Don't expect to get much info here, though.

I live in Idaho Falls, and have some friends down there, and have been in the area many times over my life. I like it down there, but I like it better here. That's just me. One of my friends moved there from the Salt Lake City area a while back, and loves it so much that he has made a 200 mile commute ever since- a decade now. He splits the rent on a small place close to his work with some other guys who also moved to Soda during the week, and they all make the same commute, coming home on the weekends.
Not the kind of life for me, but it goes to show how good life there is, compared to Salt Lake City, at least for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho